FLstudio vs ableton live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

donkey tugger wrote:
robojam wrote:Look at the current Billboard top 10. It shows you how useless popularity lists are for determining 'the best'.
And indeed the premier league table....
So Portsmouth are actually a good team? :hihi:

op here-how does the express and fruity editions compare to the producer edition,is there something big i would be missing if i went for the cheaper versions?

damoog wrote:op here-how does the express and fruity editions compare to the producer edition,is there something big i would be missing if i went for the cheaper versions?
http://flstudio.image-line.com/documents/features.html producer edition is the cheapest 'has everything' version.

Reverse Engineer wrote:
damoog wrote:op here-how does the express and fruity editions compare to the producer edition,is there something big i would be missing if i went for the cheaper versions?
http://flstudio.image-line.com/documents/features.html producer edition is the cheapest 'has everything' version.
This page is a little more detailed about the intended uses/markets...

http://flstudio.image-line.com/documents/editions.html

Carb.

spaceman wrote:Apparently, they both shit all over each other.
Can be a messy business this computer music malarkey

hehe.

indeed.

I own both as well and I like using FLStudio as my scratch pad and for putting together elements of a track. It's kinda my Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman.

I like to use Live for performing (recording) or arranging the final track.

Though lately I have been using FLStudio for more and more of the process.

I use FL Studio as a VST within Live, which is controlled with an APC 40. With FL's step sequencer integrated with Live's clips and drum maps it is the workflow heaven I had been searching for. A step sequencer is ideal if you like using multiple synths as percussion sources, is great for bass lines, or want your played parts in the same pattern/loop as your percussive. Also, imho, FL's Piano Roll is the easiest to use while being extremely full-featured.

Of course these hosts will probably stay at 32-bit forever and almost all of the VSTs I use have gone 64-bit, so I will never get to know what it is to maximize RAM. On the flip side though the workflow is so natural I never feel confined. [If you were doing film and orchestral recording I would go with the 64-bit host].

If I didn't have a dedicated Live clip controller I would probably not be as enthusiastic about it. The low cost and lifetime free upgrades of FL Studio is insane. Live Suite with an clip controller is $1000usd or more while FL Studio is just a fraction of that cost.

Live will make it to 64 bit I'm sure. It's certainly going to be one of those sink or swim decisions for companies, so once they've addressed current issues it's got to be high on their agenda.

I'm interested to know if you can think of anything else other than the step sequencer that makes FL a worthwhile purchase as a Live owner.

ive always felt like the routing in FL was just infinitely malleable and at least halfway intuitive. in Live i just could not get the feel of it, but id admit that that was prolly because of the thousands of hours i spent in FL, and the.. maybe dozens spent in Live.
robojam wrote: I'm interested to know if you can think of anything else other than the step sequencer that makes FL a worthwhile purchase as a Live owner.
yeah its hard for a FL user to give up that step sequencer, or that piano roll.
making music without that step sequencer certainly feels like an absolute chore to me now.
fyi to folks who have never opened FL: that step sequencer does a LOT more than it appears to on the surface. chore is no exaggeration.

but, as a plugin in Live, that was no problem,
what really tipped me over and made me go back to FL is their whole Browser; and mostly the 'Plugin Database'. it is infinitely genius and im fully addicted. i am too used to it and going without it would clusterfukk me now.
(if you dont use a slew of plugs on each channel.. its prolly not as big an issue.)

its like Samurize.
http://www.samurize.com/modules/news/

anyone use that?
if you need it, it is prolly the greatest program ever.
but, if it crashes... i am friggin lost. i feel like a newborn baby and i just want to cry. i forget how a mouse works and where i am, etc...

*i was messing with Live at least a couple v.s ago. id be interested to hear if there have been any changes to their browser, especially in plugin browsing/sorting/loading.
ImageImageImageImage

I've been thinking. . .(not that it's my strong suit) and the implementation of the step sequencer is really what sets FL apart from everything. The way that patterns can simultaneously contain audio, VSTs, and samples can be profound. It is then really easy to paste and arrange the patterns.

Of course there may also be an effect (i.e Love Philter) that would tip the balance.

I think the only comparable thing right now is Orion (which is nice) and to a lesser degree MOTU BPM, though I am not sure if it can host effects. I know that max4live has a step sequencer but I haven't looked into it.

Live user here, switched to Cubase (due to high price of Ableton updates and growing instability of their software...) but interested in a new scratchpad...

So I'm checking out FL Studio, first time for 3 years or so IIRC. It's really come on a lot - the Playlist is a real step forward from the last time I checked. Also some great effects... but it seems all the best synths are paid-for extras now: even the top bundle seems to come without about five of the recent ones...? Is this true?

Is it possible to do groove quatisation in FL9, preferably for audio as well as MIDI...? Would be grateful for some pointers if so.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”