Pedalboard2 VST host (v2.13 released)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wanted to say that I really enjoy those two tracks...keep it up! :)

I've just uploaded v2.11. This will probably be the last update for a while now, as I really need to concentrate on my other projects. The big new features of this one are:
  • Bypassable processors! There's now a bypass button for every plugin or internal processor, which should make it a lot easier to toggle plugins on and off.
  • A new Looper processor. This is designed to let you record and playback seamless loops, of theoretically infinite length (though in practice limited by your machine).
  • Support for MIDI over OSC, meaning you can now trigger plugins from external apps such as IanniX.
There's also various bug fixes and a couple of new options added to Misc Settings. If you want more detail about the new features, see the included documentation. Here's the full changelog:

Code: Select all

- Dragging a sound file onto the plugin field now automatically creates a File Player for it.
- Sound file thumbnails should now get reloaded when their file changes.
- Fixed Audio Recorder refusing to overwrite existing files and providing no explanation as to why.
- Added support for MIDI over OSC using the ',m' type tag.
- Added support for MIDI over OSC as a triplet of ints or floats.
- Fixed Audio Recorder not recording because it was unable to find a samplerate.
- Fixed an assert when trying to add an OSC mapping for a plugin which doesn't give all its parameters names.
- Keypress mapping dialog no longer cuts off text (don't know why this suddenly started working :/ ).
- Moved delete filter button to top left, to make room for bypass button in its old position.
- Added toggle option to force fixed-size plugin editor windows.
- Added a Looper processor.
- Added bypass button for all filters.
- Added support for multiple values in an OSC message (i.e. with something like '/oscAddress 0.0 0.5 1.0' you can now select which of the three values you're actually interested in).
- Fixed shift-stereo connection for filters with greater than 2 outputs.
- Added store audio settings in .pdl files option.
Here's a couple of demonstrations of the new features:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv5jWBa1lzM
An IanniX score triggering and manipulating a selection of plugins running in the Pedalboard.

http://soundcloud.com/giant-bears/wanderings-follow
A synth and a comb filter and 3 instances of the new Looper.

Fantastic, thanks for developing this excellent host

Aw, cheers :oops:

I, of course, think this is brilliant but, aside from testing it out a little I can't actually use it for anything as, much like most all other DAWs (at least when first released) it lacks the ability to remember what VST .dlls caused it to crash and the ability to ignore them on subsequent scans of the VST folder as I am one of those many people with tons of VSTs installed some of which rely on odd external factors to operate such as special .dlls in the Win32 folder, the Pluggo runtime or other such things which quite commonly crash various DAWs - whereas the main DAWs I use, FL Studio and Usine, luckily for me, have by and large managed to include features which allow one to, at least manually, circumvent the loading of incompatible .dlls.

eXT doesn't even scan for vst,just loads them when selected.much better imo.

pretty much the same with Usine

spacedad wrote:eXT doesn't even scan for vst,just loads them when selected.much better imo.
So...If there are non-VST plugin dlls in the VST plugin folder, what happens? The plugin menus/lists show those as plugins and once you try to load them, there will be an error message box that it wasn't really a plugin? (I know this isn't likely to be a common problem, but as a developer and end user the possibility of it happening annoys me. Also the plugin dll file names are not always the same as the name of the plugin. To get the intended name as well as the manufacturer name, a scanning procedure is required...)

maybe i'm wrong,dunno,too tired/stupid.

i just use eXT's drag n drop feature,suits me.

spacedad wrote:maybe i'm wrong,dunno,too tired/stupid.

You can do the same with Pedalboard

oh,yeah.hehe.
thanks!
...and thanks niall for the amazing board! :D

aMUSEd wrote:
spacedad wrote:maybe i'm wrong,dunno,too tired/stupid.

You can do the same with Pedalboard
That works great on my system - inefficient, but certainly doable.
Course, based on the short list of VSTs that PedalBoard 2 displays (about 30), if it actually scanned all my VSTs the list would be unworkable, anyways - unless it expands to multiple columns, like FL Studio's does, now, finally.

runagate wrote:it lacks the ability to remember what VST .dlls caused it to crash and the ability to ignore them on subsequent scans of the VST folder
This confuses me, because it definitely should remember which plugins caused it to crash during a scan, and ignore them subsequently. Could you tell me if there's a 'RecentlyCrashedPluginsList' file in your Pedalboard2 user data directory? I'm assuming you're on Windows, so that folder will be located in one of these two places:

Code: Select all

Documents and Settings/<user name>/Application Data/Pedalboard2 (Windows XP)
Users/<user name>/AppData/Roaming/Pedalboard2 (Windows Vista/7/8?)
If it's there, you can open that file in a text editor to see which plugins it's blacklisted.
runagate wrote:if it actually scanned all my VSTs the list would be unworkable, anyways - unless it expands to multiple columns, like FL Studio's does, now
It will expand to multiple columns, but at some point I'm going to have to come up with a better method of selecting plugins. Having them in one big alphabetical popup menu is cumbersome.

I sure will, when i get home

OK, having been a bug tester a whole lot in the past, I'm sorry to say I couldn't really make heads or tails of what the problem is.

There is in fact a recently crashed plugin file, and what I was observing is that it sometimes, but not always, updated... which is why from the User point of view it seemed to me it didn't have this function. After running it a bajillion times, and experiencing different kinds of crashes and hangs, it managed to make it through Anarchy Fx VSTs

(http://anarchysoundsoftware.co.uk/anarchysoundsoftware/, they're freeware now and the source code's been released, which is intriguing as they perform some amazing spectral effects not necessarily replicated by other software available)

and then, of course, gets hung up on other weird .dlls further along, but theoretically it should allow even my pile of plugins to eventually make it to the end of the list.

This is on Windows 8 x64 RC.

I noted you'll be working on other projects for the time being but, as always in the past, I've gotta thank you for such creative software and let you know I've been turning my Mac-using friends on to it, especially.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”