Ocenaudio free audio editor

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just tried copying the program directory entire to a Zoom H2N recorder's SD card, plugged the H2N into another PC, ran the program from the H2N and applied some reverb to a bit of a file previously recorded on the H2N. The reverb VST was also stored on the H2N in the ocenaudio VST directory.

Works fine, nice and portable (though I didn't explore whether anything at all was left on the host PC).

Ozpeter wrote:Just tried copying the program directory entire to a Zoom H2N recorder's SD card, plugged the H2N into another PC, ran the program from the H2N and applied some reverb to a bit of a file previously recorded on the H2N. The reverb VST was also stored on the H2N in the ocenaudio VST directory.

Works fine, nice and portable (though I didn't explore whether anything at all was left on the host PC).
:)

DELETED

Tested new version with vst path support...
Eats too much ram like geroyannis wrote.

Looks like it's scanning all vsts every time at startup.
Without vst folder it takes 57mb of ram here...with vst it's 350mb.
I assume that if you have more plugins this could consume all your ram and cause a crash.

Can this be improved please?

I guess with this kind of tool, for most users it's only worth having a smallish selection of VST effects available to it (only the ones you'd actually be likely to use), so just copy those to the program directory folder from wherever you normally have them.

Just tried the new version (Version 2 beta12)...it works! And there's lots I like: the "look" (stylish but easy to read), nice file handling, good mousewheel support (though TBH I prefer Ctrl+wheel for vertical zoom), file browser side panel, cues & regions etc. (the stuff pointed out by Ozpeter) :)

Still crashes when I enable VST plugin scanning :( Then when I try to restart and disable it in Preferences it crashes before I have a chance to do so. Oh well...

Hmmmm. Some :?:

1. Does it support RIFF metadata (i.e. markers & loop points within the .wav file)? Do cues and regions correspond to marker metadata, or are they external to the audio file itself? How do you insert a cue?

2. Why would you want to change the language? Surely that's something you decide once, during installation?

3. Pardon my ignorance, but what is "Meta" (as in "Zoom Out Full - Meta+Alt+Up")?

...and a possible bug report:
- loop doesn't always work as I'd expect: sometimes it seems to take two presses of "Ctrl + L" to turn looping off(?) And sometimes having turned it off it gets re-instated(?)

Interesting editor, definitely keeping my eye on development. That regions writeup by ozpeters was on the money too. Cheers all.

Tried it today. Worked on Win 7.

Minimalist look, bloatware coded and buggy. Wavosaur [http://www.wavosaur.com] keeps keeping the samples tidy for me. Even though a little buggy in itself, too, but it's a 500KB program that loads instantly and doesn't consume any memory.

I'm sorry for telling the things as they are. People usually don't like the truth.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

@DuX: i think that was uncalled for. I think pretty much everyone here is aware of Wavosaur and Audacity. While this new offering isn't perfect yet(what is?), the dev seems a friendly and responsive person. I for one welcome his work (it's free after all) and i am sure it will get better over time. But thanks for schooling us :D
no sig

Bloatware dux :?:
I don't see any bloat...please explain.

Buggy?
It's still a beta :wink:

Wavosaur is ok, has more features but ui is not so nice for my taste,it has some limitations with large wav files if I remember properly and it's development slowed down(if there is any).

Ocean is still in beta but it already has some cool features, ui looks very tasty and developer sounds like a great guy :tu:

DuX wrote:Minimalist look, bloatware coded and buggy. Wavosaur [http://www.wavosaur.com] keeps keeping the samples tidy for me. Even though a little buggy in itself, too, but it's a 500KB program that loads instantly and doesn't consume any memory.

I'm sorry for telling the things as they are. People usually don't like the truth.

Cheers!
Unlike Wavosaur it has no problems opening and working with big audio files and, in addition, navigating in them is so easy, fast and cool it's almost incredible.

True, a cold start isn't too fast and the application and its dependencies are quite big but that's not down to poor coding, it's just down to the use of the QT framework which allows to compile binaries for nix, mac and win from the same codebase.

The truth is that this editor has been the best surprise in years on the freeware audio editing front and it well deserves all the praise it gets IMO.

If you don't like it, just shut up and leave it to those who can appreciate it. :hihi:

"Meta" on windows is the windows key. I guess it's OS dependent but the prompt is designed to cover all OS's the app might be run on.

Here Wavosaur always plays files at the wrong speed, so ocenaudio is an advance on that! (Yes, there must be some local problem with Wavosaur but I've never bothered to investigate it in depth).

Ozpeter wrote:"Meta" on windows is the windows key. I guess it's OS dependent but the prompt is designed to cover all OS's the app might be run on
Aha! Shoulda guessed. Thanks, Ozpeter :)
eidenk wrote:The truth is that this editor has been the best surprise in years on the freeware audio editing front [...]
+1 Couldn't agree more!

...and that's not to diss the competition. I like Audacity and Wavosaur: they have different strengths and weaknesses but they're both very useful applications, and I'm grateful to the developers.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”