"Reaper has an ugly GUI"

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hate digging through dozens of shitty Reaper themes to find ones that don't suck.

I hate the poorly designed customization interfaces and tons of menu diving.

I really want to like Reaper, it makes so much sense.. but.. it just kinda ends up feeling like Linux. Where its really powerful, but just too much of a pain in the ass for me to use for everyday work. (but all my servers run Linux, and so do some of the development workstations I use)

I try Reaper again every 6 months or so (I'm about due) but it just doesn't feel "right". (Which just drives me nuts because I'd love to replace XT)
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

I wouldnt say that the interface is ugly but the 400 page manual certainly scared me off.

Cheers

Try Sonar X1's wonderful manual!!

Sheesh!!

You think 400 pages seems a lot.. :hihi: :hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

randyandyvandaman wrote:I wouldnt say that the interface is ugly but the 400 page manual certainly scared me off.

Cheers
The manual actually doesn't even cover much tbh. :hihi: But then, doesn't every DAW have a 400+ pages manual?

chk071 wrote:
randyandyvandaman wrote:I wouldnt say that the interface is ugly but the 400 page manual certainly scared me off.

Cheers
The manual actually doesn't even cover much tbh. :hihi: But then, doesn't every DAW have a 400+ pages manual?
Actually I don't think my DAW has a manual at all...

EDIT:
scratch that, it does. Just got a new computer haven't gotten adobe reader yet though so I can't tell you how many pages. I will get back to you on that.

trimph1 wrote:Try Sonar X1's wonderful manual!!

Sheesh!!

You think 400 pages seems a lot.. :hihi: :hihi:
Fer real yo! 1000+ pages :o

The manual actually doesn't even cover much tbh.
Yeh thats one of the reasons I will pass on Reaper as a serious DAW.

Cheers

My DAW's manual is only 115 pages :hihi:

randyandyvandaman wrote:
The manual actually doesn't even cover much tbh.
Yeh thats one of the reasons I will pass on Reaper as a serious DAW.

Cheers
Sonar's doesn't even cover much either...at over 1,400 pages!! It has stuff missing in the index, there are things about the control bar that do not show up in that manual...need I go on??? :help: :x :hihi: :hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

chk071 wrote:
nineofkings wrote: Are the complaints against the GUI literally the GUI or the layout?
Actually i think Reaper made a major step forward with v4 in terms of GUI-cuteness. Also the layout seems quite logic and clear to me. If there weren't those right click dialogs containing literally hundreds of items though... that's actually one of the things which really put me off every time i use Reaper. I know you can customize it the way you want it to be but seriously... for a beginner that's not really the desired way though as a beginner most probably won't know what exactly he needs and what he does not need in such a menu. :)
The way Reaper is going we always going to be a beginner... :hihi:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

captain caveman wrote:... this is why you will end up using it. :D
He said from atop his pink elephant only seconds before waking up

xybre wrote:I try Reaper again every 6 months or so (I'm about due) but it just doesn't feel "right". (Which just drives me nuts because I'd love to replace XT)
XT has an amazing straight to the point workflow and yes, you need a bug spray :lol:

Cheers
And by the time I finish those 400 pages V5 is out. Another 500 pages....

liquidsound wrote:
xybre wrote:I try Reaper again every 6 months or so (I'm about due) but it just doesn't feel "right". (Which just drives me nuts because I'd love to replace XT)
XT has an amazing straight to the point workflow and yes, you need a bug spray :lol:
Don't remind me. I have no idea why from a billion years ago it has not advanced more. Money? I dunno.........sad really because again, I have it and would have gladly supported it. But it just got to be goneware.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”