Ableton shippers jumping off.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Boy there sure are a lot of people jumping off of the Live 8 bandwagon at the moment. I wonder were they are are landing.

Where are you getting this from? Link please? :?
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Just seeing a lot of copies for sale in the marketplace all of a sudden.

Dangerous

This is a large, well-indexed site but I'd estimate that only a fraction of Ableton's customer base is here and of that fraction the number of those simultaneously selling Ableton Live in the Market Place are an extremely small fraction of even THAT small fraction. Hope that made sense.

this is weird to say the least. ive been think of creating a thread like this for the last week since i saw somebody say deadmau5 uses fl studio and another user said, deadmau uses live. and that got me thinking, so i went to wikipedia and was amazed when i saw abletons been stagnant at version 8 since 2009! then i had another thought which was, 'flstudio is on version 10, going on 11 and is getting even better with every update. flstudio is no toy anymore. im also wondering about reapers future. what started off as a incredible piece of software has become slower in updates and features with every new version. im surprised how powerful fl studio is getting. if i were ableton id be afraid.

buscemi wrote:This is a large, well-indexed site but I'd estimate that only a fraction of Ableton's customer base is here and of that fraction the number of those simultaneously selling Ableton Live in the Market Place are an extremely small fraction of even THAT small fraction. Hope that made sense.

Roscoe, you get 50% of 10% as usual now go get them Duke boys
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

redranger wrote:Boy there sure are a lot of people jumping off of the Live 8 bandwagon at the moment. I wonder were they are are landing.
<BONES>IDIOTS!</BONES>

:)

You will pry my copy of Live from the clutches of my cold dead hands.

AstralExistence wrote:this is weird to say the least. ive been think of creating a thread like this for the last week since i saw somebody say deadmau5 uses fl studio and another user said, deadmau uses live. and that got me thinking, so i went to wikipedia and was amazed when i saw abletons been stagnant at version 8 since 2009! then i had another thought which was, 'flstudio is on version 10, going on 11 and is getting even better with every update. flstudio is no toy anymore. im also wondering about reapers future. what started off as a incredible piece of software has become slower in updates and features with every new version. im surprised how powerful fl studio is getting. if i were ableton id be afraid.
It's true Ableton's release schedule has been somewhat stagnant, but they've stated publicly that they want to work the kinks out of Live 8, and that rings true. Not bashing FL at all (it's a perfectly fine DAW), but Live is a much more complex piece of software.

For example, Ableton rolls their own cross-platform interface widgets so the look/feel is exactly the same across Mac/Windows. There are optimizations going on under the hood that users may not be aware of, like the way Live constantly indexes your drive for faster search.

I think that's part of the reason for the higher cost. Doesn't mean other DAWs are not worthy, just that you're getting some more complexity for the price that may not be obvious. Makes updates much harder.

Mabye the increase in used sales are a reflection of people "downsizing" due to the economy - sell Live for Reaper and have a few bucks to spare, for example.

AstralExistence wrote:this is weird to say the least. ive been think of creating a thread like this for the last week since i saw somebody say deadmau5 uses fl studio and another user said, deadmau uses live. and that got me thinking, so i went to wikipedia and was amazed when i saw abletons been stagnant at version 8 since 2009! then i had another thought which was, 'flstudio is on version 10, going on 11 and is getting even better with every update. flstudio is no toy anymore. im also wondering about reapers future. what started off as a incredible piece of software has become slower in updates and features with every new version. im surprised how powerful fl studio is getting. if i were ableton id be afraid.
I'm amazed at how people are actually concerned with how long a particular piece of software has been on a major version number and updates.
You are currently reading my signature.

Small sample size of a total customer base is kind of a dumb thing to use as a means of suggesting that Ableton is becoming deserted.

The development cycle for a lot of DAWs seems to dictate that everyone jump on the rush rush bandwagon-which really should not be the case.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

EDIT - total mis-read. Need sleep.

Another edit - Must agree that the length of time between full-version revisions isn't a really good metric either. Many people who use software as a major component of making a living aren't really in a rush for a fast and furious flurry of major revisions. Major revisions (not bug-fixes/point releases) will typically increase the likelihood of MAJOR f-ups that will take time away from that very important thing they do that pays for their food, room, board, and all that happy stuff.
Last edited by buscemi on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

djanthonyw wrote:
I'm amazed at how people are actually concerned with how long a particular piece of software has been on a major version number and updates.
I know what you mean - especially as Live updates are far from free. Still, maybe it's about time Abes started looking at some of the user requests that they have always dismissed as needing a "rewrite from the ground up" instead of concentrating on "value-added" snap-ins. Having said that I'd buy a proper Live piano roll for $50! ;)

I love Live - it's truly unique. But I just don't use it too much any more.

Maybe they're spending a bunch of resources on developing a mobile app... :lol:
"are we there yet?"

It could be mac users swapping out live for logic, logic is now $199 . Alot of live users use a macbook ?

todd sweetland wrote:It could be mac users swapping out live for logic, logic is now $199 . Alot of live users use a macbook ?
Good observation. I'm concerned about Logic's future however - Live is Ableton's bread and butter, but Logic is a crouton in Apple's salad.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”