Cubase 6 MIDI Volumes Steinberg finally admits there is a problem.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I sympathize, but having read many a thread about other hosts bugs I wouldn't be too sure that taking the Logic (or any other DAW) route 15 years ago would have saved you any time or trouble.
You have no right to remain silent!
www.soundcloud/phunkberater

I guess so. Maybe a Protools or Logic user would care to comment on that? Cu5.5.3 was so nearly debugged......

Chrisking wrote:I guess so. Maybe a Protools or Logic user would care to comment on that? Cu5.5.3 was so nearly debugged......
None are perfect - just figure out which one gives you the least grief for what you want to do.

If you had made some of these remarks about the SX series of releases, I'd be right there with you. But, C4,5,6 have all been fairly well patched and improved over time. And, they seem to be getting better at the process. The bug that started this thread is all but irrelevant.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Chrisking wrote:Thanks everyone.

I'm actually gonna have to stick with Cubase as most of my projects were started in 5.1. It just fundamentally annoys me that Steiny point blank refuse to accept that this is a bug which needs fixing. I have to say I have spent literally years dealing with Steinberg bugs and I am now seriously regretting not having switched to Logic 15 years ago. I would have saved tons of time.

Cu5.5.3 is actually fairly bug free compared to previous versions, but just when I thought Steiny had got it's act together (due to being bought by Yamaha) they go and release a version of their software which basically means NONE of my previous songs will load properly without me completely going through every single track adding automation points. Also as most of my plugs are over a year old pretty much half of them don't remember the MIDI volume. I know there is a workaround, but the 'add an automation point' workaround basically 'fixes' the volume of each track so that I can't do a simple tweak of the track volume using my Korg controller as I could in Cu5.1.

What really ticks me off is the utter refusal of Steiny to admit there is a bug. It's like talking to robots. I phoned them and they simply refused to accept that a DAW not remembering MIDI volumes might be a bug. Please note also that even if you press the read button for the track, it still won't send the MIDI volume to the VST unless you actually enter an automation point. This is WROOOOOONG!!!

I like Cubase overall, but I just feel like every time they look like they are going to release a stable version they put in some kind of massive clanger which makes it unusable. At least with other DAW's you know what you're getting. The new lanes behaviour in Cu6 is an example. What an utter shambles. :cry:
You want to start asking them about window sizing. They've got a psychotic wall up against that one.

I have to agree. If I'd gone the Logic way 15 years ago I would have been better off but I stuck with it like I stuck with Giga Studio. Luckily Yamaha eased then pain unlike Tascam who landed me with an obsolete piece of kit. I've got C6 but kept C5 for comping.

Too tired (and old)to change but luckily I've had very little problem with C4,5 and 6. Sorry it's a pain for you. I know it's a case of "each to his own" but is there a reason you've stuck to such "vintage" VSTIs?

I only ask because, in my reality, finding a "modern" VST that does everything all my old instruments did has made a massive difference.

Chrisking wrote: I have to say I have spent literally years dealing with Steinberg bugs and I am now seriously regretting not having switched to Logic 15 years ago. I would have saved tons of time.
A quick google will find you lots of Logic users complaining about bugs which have gone unfixed for years. And it'd be hard to choose which are bigger c**ts when it comes to customer interaction - Apple or Steinberg
"What embecile composed this list :/"

My real problem is that I'm one of those people who starts a musical idea and then gets stuck half way through, so I leave the idea for a few years then go back to it with fresh ears. The other thing is that I've bought lots of these plugins expecting to be able to use them for more than a few years - when your spending 250 upwards on an instrument you expect it to last at least a few years surely?

My solution is to do everything in Kontakt. I will never touch a Steinberg VSTi again!! I just find it amazing that even Halion 3 doesn't work. It's hardly that old....

FANBOIZ.

"Just use the automation and shut up"

:roll:
ImageImageImageImage

Steinberg support really is THE worst. The way they treat their customers is unbeleivable.

I remember back when Cubase 4 64-bit came out they wouldn't let us even DISCUSS using it with XP64. They would actually lock and delete posts between users who were volunteering to help others get their problems resolved. We understand STEINBERG doesn't support this OS, but if i have simple remedies to widespread user problems, can't I at least help other users with my workarounds?

highkoo wrote:FANBOIZ.

"Just use the automation and shut up"

:roll:
You open up the automation lane and click once. Do people actually use a DAW and never use automation for the midi volume? This is something to make a big public issue out of, characterizing it inaccurately in the thread title? How many tracks could have been set to go in the time it took to post here? This is something you need to bash people behind, pointing out the obvious, 'do the thing and get on with it'?

Trey73 wrote:Steinberg support really is THE worst. The way they treat their customers is unbeleivable.

I remember back when Cubase 4 64-bit came out they wouldn't let us even DISCUSS using it with XP64. They would actually lock and delete posts between users who were volunteering to help others get their problems resolved. We understand STEINBERG doesn't support this OS, but if i have simple remedies to widespread user problems, can't I at least help other users with my workarounds?
You may not get this, but their forum (which was always run by crazy people IME) and 'Steinberg Support' are two separate entities. I've always had good support from actual support. Even fantastic support.

jancivil wrote:This is something you need to bash people behind, pointing out the obvious?
wat?
Tbh, I dont think I quite understand your position.
But, I was paraphrasing some other post here in my quotes, sarcastically.
I think its crazy to have to do the automation trick, and even crazier to be directly told that it is not a bug.
Thats the same 'workaround' that people use to use non-saving demos forever...
ImageImageImageImage

What is this bug you guys are talking about? Am I understanding correctly that volume on MIDI tracks is not recalled correctly unless a point is placed on an automation lane for every track?

jancivil wrote:You may not get this, but their forum (which was always run by crazy people IME) and 'Steinberg Support' are two separate entities. I've always had good support from actual support. Even fantastic support.
I should have been specific. Their technical support team is not what I meant. I'm referring to the way the customer service representatives who administrated and moderated the "official" Cubase/Nuendo forums interacted with their customer base in general.

Lets face it, if you were a user of C4 thru C6 YOU WERE THE BETA TESTERS. Even fresh installs have been buggy as hell for a large percentage of power users. In many cases instead of admitting there are problems, they respond by often being rude and overbearing. They censor threads, and deal with folks who are frustrated in a curt and patronizing way.

I understand that they have done an incredible job of introducing features that have changed the way most of us make music. But how about making sure that ALL of the features work properly when a new version is released. By the time you expect a major update, instead of ever resolving many of the problems, they are focusing on selling the new version.

Most people invest a lot of money and time working around one specific DAW host. I have been a longtime user and invested thousands in Steinberg (and Yamaha) products. I don't expect to be censored for trying to collaborate with other users in helping other users get their systems running smoothly.

Re. Automation.

1) You shouldn't have to use automation. Either way even just adding an automation doesn't work. You actually have to put in a ramp. You shouldn't need to if Cubase worked properly. Which it doesn't.
2) I've found out from Steinberg that my bug only occurs with any pre VST3 plugins. It only happens on regular MIDI tracks not instrument tracks. This means I now cannot use the MIDI tracks with external instrument without adding an automation ramp on every track. This is a bug. This is a bug. It's also a very serious one. What is the point in having a volume control on the inspector if it doesn't read it?

3) Cubase not sending out MIDI volumes is such an enormous bug. It should have been fixed and it hasn't been!!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”