New AudioGL video + Crowdfunding

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And others still !

phase/frequency modulation ?
soft sync ? (as seen in alesis' micron, uhe's ACE, and others, I suppose…)
ring mod ?
feedback routing enabled ?
filter types ?
noise ?
oscilloscope ? (just for fun...)

Hope it helps to see the information I would like to be able to see ASAP.

@canturah: Essentially I'm working on _all_ of it, but as of right now, I've only instantiated things that are 100% necessary for getting a good sound.

Here's what will be in v1.0:

Unsynced Envelopes: Yes. Either you use an arbitrary unit of time, or sync to the timeline.
Curved Envelopes : No. I generally approximate a curve using a series of points. I might add curves in v2.0, but not v1.0.
Looped Envelopes : Yes. You will also be able to draw LFO patterns, which is similar. There will be a few options for gating. If I read what you wrote correctly, I think it can do what you want.
Oscillator Sync : Yes. Both Hard and Soft (what she said)
RingMod : Yes.
Audio-Rate Modulation : Yes, the LFO is designed similarly to the oscillator.
Available Waveforms: noise, sine, triangle, saw, square, pulse, wavetable with 100 waves. What's special about the osc, though, is that some of the waves "morph" into each other. The section "between" the Triangle and Sawtooth is particularly juicy.
Wavetable Import : Maybe in v2.0.
Feedback routing : Of course! In delay units AND reverb units. The latter is very interesting..
phase/frequency mod : Yes. Also the starting phase can either be "free" or "fixed", depending upon whether you want your synth to sound exactly the same each time it is triggered, or whether you want it to sound more "unstable" or "analog".
Filter Types : I have some secret weapons here, so I won't mention those. What I can say though, is that there are 2pole and 4pole filters, both of which are of course capable of lowpass/bandpass/highpass. You can actually modulate between lp/bp/hp, which is kind of fun, instead of just "picking" one.
Oscilloscope : Maybe. There is an FFT display, though.

I don't mind nitpicking. This will all be well written up in AudioGL's user manual, which will be free to download, once it's finally ready.

I have a question too, regarding curved envelopes and curved automation. Which host/vst has the best implementation of this feature? When I used to use Cubase, their shaped Automation tools (curve, sine, triangle), would simply approximate curves, and I thought it sounded fine. Do curves actually sound markedly better, or is this a marketing gimmick?

AGL wrote: I have a question too, regarding curved envelopes and curved automation. Which host/vst has the best implementation of this feature? When I used to use Cubase, their shaped Automation tools (curve, sine, triangle), would simply approximate curves, and I thought it sounded fine. Do curves actually sound markedly better, or is this a marketing gimmick?
In my opinion Logic. Reaper's is good as well.

Some people just feel better having curves. Personally I don't care. I guess it a reassurance that what you've drawn is actually a curve and not some bad approximation. I challenge anyone to pick out the difference between the two in a track. I'd come and cook them dinner every night for the rest of their lives if they can.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Gotta have nice envelope curve shapes. See Reaper, FL Studio, Logic. S-shaped curves, Beziers, whatnot. Should be definitely somewhere in v1.5 instead of v2.0 :P

BTW - allpass, notch, high/low shelf, formant filters? 1-pole, 6-pole? :)
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have a question s well..

Is audio file support currently limited to a sampler unit or can you import audio on the timeline(on tracks) as well (and/or record)?
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Also, how come the crowdfunding practically stopped at $4000? At the rate it was going a few weeks ago, I thought you'd achieve your goal without any problems... Why are people holding up?! :D

IMO, its because people want something for their money NOW, when they spend it. The OP will not release anything till at least July. I, for one, was ready to buy a full license, but now ill pay for it in July, when I can play with it. If the OP released a beta demo for purchasers now, he'd have access to a ton of funds. IMO, he is shooting himself in the foot. No one likes to wait and from personal experience, I've learned that you do not announce something and then wait months to release it. I did that with a product and my sales would have been immense had I released just after announcing it. Instead, I opted to wait to perfect it which took eight weeks. By that time, people gave up and my sales were a fraction of what they could have been. Lesson learned. I do not announce a product if I am not ready to release it within a week or two.

What confuses me is these videos are amazing and I just cannot understand why a simple beta cannot be released now. Obviously it works well enough now. It sounds like the OP wants it to be just right before release. A truly bad idea. People want something tangible for their money. Who knows if this will ever get released. Some unscrupulous people could run away with the money with little or no recourse. I am positive the OP is not a person like that, but it is a concern of some people.
Mike

Regarding curves: I'll check out those programs when I get a chance. I'd love to bump this feature up on the "list of things to do," but I have a hard time justifying it. It's a pretty time consuming feature, development-wise. I want to have it ready to go once the visualization system is up, because unlike audio, visuals actually *do* respond to automation curves in a very noticeable way. Points and lines don't cut it there.

@Spaceman: Yes, audio data is limited for the sampler for now. Getting it on the timeline (ie: an arrange window) is a high priority, but getting something released is a higher one.

@EvilDragon: The campaign isn't going to go anywhere. Between that and a small investment, I have enough to get a beta released. I'll probably have to make it a paid beta in order to keep going, but I'm still attempting to hit the release dates that I've put forward. Time to stock up on ramen noodles.

Right...I forgot to mention the highshelf and lowshelf (they are built into the equalizer). There's a pretty good selection of filters already, but if people are begging me for more, I'll get on it. Pretty easy to do.

@Karma: Well, I hope you enjoy it when it's released!

Ramen is awesome ;)

For me, the Oscilloscope is mandatory. No modern daw lacks the use of or ability to use one.

AudioGL will be released in less than a month

http://www.audiogl.com/en/home

DELETED

AGL wrote:I have a question too, regarding curved envelopes and curved automation. Which host/vst has the best implementation of this feature? When I used to use Cubase, their shaped Automation tools (curve, sine, triangle), would simply approximate curves, and I thought it sounded fine. Do curves actually sound markedly better, or is this a marketing gimmick?
Just have a look at FL Studio automation curves. From my point of view they are the best(among the various automation systems used in all other windows hosts).

Pre-defined shapes are IMO just a try to look like the shapes with a control point.

But in all the cases, it's just a transfert function that goes in the 0..1 range(or in a generalistic way in the unit-circle) and which is rendered to an Audiotable and then read using an interpolation.

When I look at AGL UI, I'm quite sure that you'd be able to implement it :wink:

When AudioGL reaches versions 1.0, there will be a price increase. The Beta stage is expected to last for over a year, so you can rest assured that your Beta license will be valid for some time to come.
So if you buy a beta license, do you then upgrade to the full version or have to buy a full license again?

Definately looks interesting, so signed up for the news letter :)
ZZZzzZZzz..zz....zzzzz
My SoundCloud

It's the amount of programming time that concerns me :) A good curve implementation is going to be 2 months (at the very least), where that's the _only_ thing getting done.

Tell you what - if I have any funds to work with over the next few years, I'll contract someone out to do automation curves.

It's of those "I probably won't use this feature, but I'd like to make you guys happy" sort of things.

And yes, the beta is ready to go. I just have to get my website upgraded.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”