Update: Cubase 6.5 available (49,99€)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice update! Thank you Steinberg!

Club Ho :hihi:

Yep. Bought... updated went fine. Loaded up a 6.05 project that I've been working on and everything transferred over perfectly with no noticeable difference in CPU/RAM activity. Will play with the new stuff soon though my quick gander at retro synth was positive. Some pretty cool oscillator modes that deserve a second look.

For those that are upset... no one is forcing you to buy. You'll get your FREE 6.0.6 update soon enough. They could have been complete a-holes and jumped straight to 6.5 with no maintenance release in between.

Cheers.

I think it is a nice update also....I am surprised about Retrologue. It is a very nice sounding synth as far as DAW synths are concerned (it has Note expression also). The patch Almighty Strings is quite nice. This is coming from someone who prefers hardware....I hope Steinberg keeps developing nice VST/VSTi bundled with Cubase.

Just bought it... everything went fine and fast... the upgrade price from Cubase 6 is acceptable

And i'm very happy with the upgrade ... keep it up Steinberg :D

grymmjack wrote:
headquest wrote:
LeVzi wrote:So we now pay for a point update regardless of the content, and then are expected again to pay to update to 7 when that comes out.

Wow, talk about milking that Cash Cow. Disgusting attitude tbh. Especially when you actually look at what you get for 40quid.
Actually I think it's a bargain - the two synths are worth way more than that ... EACH. And there are some other genuine goodies in there.

Contrast this with Reason 6 upgrade if you will - having invested a load of cash in both Reason 5 and Record 1.5, the current price for me to upgrade to Reason 6t is 149 euros, for which I would get three new effects and a couple of minor programme improvements. Now that's what I consider an appalling attitude: Steinberg are being very generous here IMHO.
The Reason6 upgrade was pay what you want. You didn't do it then? I paid only $50 for the what you think it's worth approach and feel I drastically underpaid but the props got the $50 and not a competitor.

Not sure why you wouldn't upgrade for the pay what you want?
Pay what you want was a super special offer to quell the outrage of users on the forum, but it only lasted for one month. Originally the price announced for upgrading from R/R Duo was 99 euros, but after just one month of the PYYW offer they withdrew ALL upgrade offers for people who had bought R/R Duo in the past - our only option is to pay the same 149 euros that a Reason 5 owner would pay, and the fact we invested in Record is now forgotten.

I didn't upgrade during the grace period because of a succession of problems - firstly my internet was out for a couple of weeks, and then I was visiting the USA, where among I other things I was promoting Propellerhead Software ... ! I know various other users who didn't upgrade during that one month period, some because they were sick, in hospital, on tour, etc.

Since getting back to the UK I contacted Propellerhead and they effectively said "Screw you". With genuine sadness I have now stopped using and promoting their gear. The company has changed from one of the nicest (until a couple of years ago) to one of the worst. On their forum you will also find that people who have contacted customer support and complaining weeks later that they just don't respond.

There was a time when Steinberg had a poor reputation for customer support, software bugs, etc. That seems to be nicely behind them, and they are now so much better than Propellerhead (and several others). I think that Cubase users who are moaning about the upgrade price should take a look at how some others treat their customers, and realise that they have it good. Cubase users rejoice!
Last edited by headquest on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

sqigls wrote:fuk you steinberg
Wow - I actually really like your music but have no clue why you want to fuk Steinberg.

Gotta be honest I'm running cubase 5 and wasn't going to upgrade until seven. However this has convinced me to upgrade to 6.5.

I really like the new synths as they just seem easier to work with than prologue and embracer.
The old synths just seem harder to work with.

Hooray! Sample folder hd usage just went down 60%. Haven't done the full math, but saves atleast tens of gigs of space. And for my laptop setup that is a substantial amount (with hd prices soaring high now too).

Getting to know the synths now too. Not bad at all. Everything else works nicely too. Plugins, old projects, everything.
Great update!
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Hm... I sense a lot of positive feedback from fairly new users in here. Coincidense? Probably.

bduffy wrote:I'm a little surprised by this - we've never paid for point-upgrades before, have we?
Actually, yes we have. Old Cubase 3.x VST comes to mind. Else not, but with Propellerheads, AVID (ProTools dot upgrades), and some other tools.

bduffy wrote:And if I buy Cubase 6 right now, do I have to buy this upgrade on top of it?
No. If you grab and old Cubase 6 copy that didn't bundle that dot upgrade, then you're entitled to contact Steinberg (the Grace Period division) and they get things sorted for you.

There is only Cubase 6.5 available now online.

Sequent wrote:I'm still on Cubase 5 and I'm happy to see that for me the update remains at the same price. At least it didn't go up to $249! ... The fact that the $199 4/5 > 6.5 pricing remains the same and the fact that they added Padshop into the the mix is a nice bonus.
The "workflow enhancements" should have been either free or decent priced. Instead they force you to get some crap tools on top of some recently released synths (as further income) that some users might not even need. If that is fair or not lies within the eye of the beholder.

I just remember that I never touched any of the added synths in SX2.2. Then again I didn't have SX2 and the update was a farce as well (one month later, SX3 was released with the nice "it's getting hot in here" ad).

Regarding the upgrade price... well... 199USD is steep, considering the upgrade cycles. If this model with paid dot upgrades should pay off, Steinberg needs to ultimately reduce the major upgrade price again to something reasonable and make the upgrade cycles fair again. Then again, maybe Steinberg fires at professional users only that can "pay" for their stuff (since it's peanuts for them) - but the inclusion of "Sequel like stuff" clearly shows otherwise.

Personally I'd be greatly pissed if I'd shell out 50 EUR(!, 50USD would be 38 EUR according to exhange rates - so Europe backs up the international sales) now for the upgrade, and on Musikmesse 2012 (21st to 24th March) Steinberg announces Cubase 7 and then sells it on 26th March for another 199 EUR with only a handful of "features" more than Cubase 6.5... This is more than possible since Steinberg pretty much made a habbit out of it (and I'm sure the staff will chime in here and say "not true")... so...

What would you do then?

Deranger604 wrote:For those that are upset... no one is forcing you to buy. You'll get your FREE 6.0.6 update soon enough. They could have been complete a-holes and jumped straight to 6.5 with no maintenance release in between.
Two things:
a) they were constant a-holes before (.5 release with more bugs, then straight to major without bugfixes, for almost a decade now)

b) the "maintenance update" is not availlable yet, and it is not known what will be included either (for example the multilane and easier comping mode but not the plugins - would be a great move, but don't count on it).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Hm... I sense a lot of positive feedback from fairly new users in here. Coincidense? Probably.
Maybe.. but what to do when they release a cheap .5 update that really works and has great additions? I'll cheer.

I'm sure they'll get the 6.0.6 out soon. Steinbergs updates aren't published too far away from the release date.
www.mkdr.net

I think its a bit of a joke when you think about the one thing Cubase is lacking in (2 if you count lack of a sampler) are Synths.

The ones that come with Cubase are pretty rough at best, Halion Sonic SE is a rompler not a synth, so realistically 2 new synths should be there to replace the stuff there now.

I can't see the additional stuff being included in the maintenance patch, especially stuff like flac support and quantize improvements.

No idea why soundcloud integration would be deemed needed at all, in fact that's one thing i'd not want added.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

mkdr wrote:Hooray! Sample folder hd usage just went down 60%. Haven't done the full math, but saves atleast tens of gigs of space.
So what does that mean, they've cut down on their sample material? Or do you mean you've compressed your own samples to flac?

My question is: Is it safe to update to 6.0.5 and/or 6.5. I haven't updated from Cubase 6 version 6.0.0 on Max OSX because I fear bugs that may cause devastation to the program. I've heard several complaints.

Does 6.0.5 fix, for example, ASIO issues? I don't need to introduce new problems, so I'd also like to know if RAM and CPU use remains the same, increases, or decreases across point versions and also 6.5.

I'm looking forward to responses.

Thank you very much everyone!

geroyannis wrote:
mkdr wrote:Hooray! Sample folder hd usage just went down 60%. Haven't done the full math, but saves atleast tens of gigs of space.
So what does that mean, they've cut down on their sample material? Or do you mean you've compressed your own samples to flac?
I have no idea what the Cubase's own samplefolder holds. I'm guessing it's still in plain PCM format.

I compressed my own samples to flac.

I've done flac compression on old project files for years now. Very efficient. Squeezes so much more on archive DVD's. But now i can do that on everything. Very cool. My 40gb laptop HD will appreciate it :)

Imagine having a brand new 60GB OCZ Agility3 SSD HD, which costs around 100e. So update to Cubase 6.5 costs around 30GB. Get where I'm going with this? It can be a very nice update for many users. But i do see why some are so annoyed by it..
:?
www.mkdr.net

Flac is a good option, also in combination when using the new Soundcloud upload (Soundcloud supports Flac and this makes sense because of the re-encoding). So it's a bit easier to share ideas and stuff (as private tracks in Soundcloud). This integration could be of course work in both directions like in Studio One but... It's a good start for Cubase and eventually Steinberg will improve this in the future.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”