Update: Cubase 6.5 available (49,99€)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

£42 is quite reasonable actually, could have been a lot worse.

Paid for it and downloading now, 740MB download so gonna be a while! I will report back once I get it running

Videos and what is new in this update is available:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cu ... on_65.html

So we now pay for a point update regardless of the content, and then are expected again to pay to update to 7 when that comes out.

Wow, talk about milking that Cash Cow. Disgusting attitude tbh. Especially when you actually look at what you get for 40quid.

At least it seems a maintenance update is going to be free.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Great update, they'll have my cash. The FLAC support is the main seller for me but the VA looks cool too :)

There is some bug with the Windows installer this time (CRC error while decompressing archive). But the new features are worth the update price. Great stuff with better comping, flac, soundcloud, some new filters, 2 new synth... :love:

Keith99 wrote:Seems a bit rough to have to pay for a point release :(
Tell that AVID until they released PT8 (99 EUR - 149 EUR per dot-upgrade, not counting tool-packs)!

Now seriously, finally a thing I can work with. Except for maybe the fact, that an update WITHOUT the synths (if you don't need them anyway) but for free would have been fair as well (to those that don't want the additional synths - heck I still don't use any of their bundled synths since VST5 days - except for A1 maybe...).

Then again, Steinberg constantly bragged about not having money until they release the next future update. It was years ago, but I remember discussions and suggestions (I offered mine as well) to actually pay a couple of bucks for a dot-update, but then have enough funds to work on a full version for the time being.

THEN AGAIN... as it's about time now that Cubase 6 is dated, and the recent NUENDO version also got a dot-update, I think we Cubase users will soon be greeted (I think 21st to 24th March latest, since it's Musikmesse 2012 in Frankfurt) with Cubase 7 (for another 189 EUR), Wavelab 7.x (or even 8) and a handful of new toys. Maybe even Halion 5.

I don't know if the update is worth it though. I don't need SoundCloud, I have a standalone (open source!) FLAC decoder/encoder (24bit capable). If in the 6.06 update are the other tools (blend, filters are a joke!, guitar FX is not necessarily needed, but comping and 64bit Rewire), I'm happy.

Everything else is just marketing mojo. I mean, are we even sure that the synths survive 2 Cubase versions (remember the Wizoo and Waldorf Collabs?), or will they be included in Cubase 7 if you can wait to upgrade?

Looks like it's really down to micro-payments as of late. Videogames, tools, apps, OS, hosts, plugins, etc, etc, etc. :(
Last edited by Compyfox on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

LeVzi wrote:So we now pay for a point update regardless of the content, and then are expected again to pay to update to 7 when that comes out.

Wow, talk about milking that Cash Cow. Disgusting attitude tbh. Especially when you actually look at what you get for 40quid.
Actually I think it's a bargain - the two synths are worth way more than that ... EACH. And there are some other genuine goodies in there.

Contrast this with Reason 6 upgrade if you will - having invested a load of cash in both Reason 5 and Record 1.5, the current price for me to upgrade to Reason 6t is 149 euros, for which I would get three new effects and a couple of minor programme improvements. Now that's what I consider an appalling attitude: Steinberg are being very generous here IMHO.

Yup, theres defo a bug crc failure, hope they sort this asap :)

FLAC support interests me, but I have zero interest in the synths or the plugins. I wonder if they have their VST bridge up to sniff in this release. Hard to justify the cost for me. Makes more sense to wait until v7 and pay once for the upgrade.
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

Compyfox wrote:I have a standalone (open source!) FLAC decoder/encoder (24bit capable).(
Compy, curious as to what you are using?
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

headquest wrote:
LeVzi wrote:So we now pay for a point update regardless of the content, and then are expected again to pay to update to 7 when that comes out.

Actually I think it's a bargain - the two synths are worth way more than that ... EACH. And there are some other genuine goodies in there.

Contrast this with Reason 6 upgrade if you will - having invested a load of cash in both Reason 5 and Record 1.5, the current price for me to upgrade to Reason 6t is 149 euros, for which I would get three new effects and a couple of minor programme improvements. Now that's what I consider an appalling attitude: Steinberg are being very generous here IMHO.
For 2 synths that I won't use ? The only thing worth updating is the quantize additions, and the flac support, so is that actually worth 42quid ? NO. It should be in the 6.06 update the synths and other effects left in the 6.5

Steinberg must be on their arse's with lack of revenue.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I use also a standalone Mp3 encoder (Lame) instead of the Cubase Mp3...
but to have Flac integrated is not bad. There is also the option to record in FLAC so for big projects it makes sense to use Flac also for such stuff.

MickGael wrote:
Compyfox wrote:I have a standalone (open source!) FLAC decoder/encoder (24bit capable).(
Compyfox, curious as to what you are using?
Why FLAC of course (Sourceforge) with the free FLAC frontend - and this for over half a decade now. Granted, not "native" in Cubase (reading and writing, but heck for transfering files it's more than suitable.

It would have been intereting if they implemented Multi OGG or AAC HD, but I guess it's still down to licenses. Then again, the competition doesn't sleep (Ahead with NERO offers AAC-HD which is 50EUR, Sonnox/Fraunhofer offers it with their tool but definitely more expensive).

You know what... someone call up Steinberg and ask for a 25bucks UPDATE for just the features sans the synths. Then we're all happy, no? I'm also only after the main update (comping), I'm not interested in Chinese language, Rewire (I don't use any rewire tool anymore) or the two stupid filters that I had years ago with either freeware or more flexible tools like eXT and delaMancha. But comping and maybe the FLAC mode is enough. And for this, a free or decent priced update should be possible.

Then again, my 2c.

Though... after taking a closer look at PadSynth, it does look interesting. Even more if we could get 4(!) layers and load our own samples. Unless that's possible already. Cheap-ass "Omnisphere" anyone?

But you still pay for the synths only - and a lot of users don't want them. Like I said... I still don't use Halion Sonic LE (or whatever it is called), their Mashup crap, their Halion One (other tools are WAY MORE flexible) and I also pretty much ditched Halion.

It's good to see that Steinberg slowly grows on some of the ideas that ProTools offered. Maybe Yamaha does them good after all.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”