SLiC wrote:Professional artists and recording studios just use it to make commercial records.
Not outside Germany it seems. Warning, there is some sarcasm behind that comment!
Bronto Scorpio wrote:
Conclusion: I won't update
I'm not ditching the pricetag, but I definitely despise the offerings.
I don't need SoundCloud, I'm not chinese, I don't need the ReWire features (last time I used it while ReBirth was still "usable"), the filters are a joke (you get better ones in other tools), the signature presets for the ampfarm are not really a selling point either (er... IKM and Line6 offer way more - for free!). Also, FLAC is free, though it is cool to use it natively within Cubase now - but here I also wish for other formats like Multi OGG (Audacity) and HD-AAC (Fraunhofer) as ultimate standard.
I don't want to ditch the synths either, but I have a couple of major problems with it.
1) how long will they live on? Steinberg has a trend of releasing synths, then ultimately ditch them (Virtual Guitarist, XPhraze, Waldorf Edition, Voice Machine anyone?)
2) there are plenty of alternatives out that sound just as good or better (URS and Spectrasonics come to mind), they are also cross platform and can be used outside of Cubase!
3) PADSHOP would sell better, if you can import own samples as waverom
4) will they bundle it with Cubase 7 as well? If so, is the update worth it?
5) Speaking of bundling software - now that Cubase 6.5 is out, who can guarantee us, that 6.5 will live on another one to two years until Cubase 7 will be released? Steinberg is known to throw out a .5 version, then ultimately ditch it and leave it buggy and instead selling a next major version
These are all valid points that we need to consider.
Now, if Steinberg would release a 25bucks .5 version with just the maintenance updates (the multi lane thing, the comp mode, all bugfixes, etc) - I'd be fine. Steinberg would still get their funds and I can live without all that other stuff. But I don't think this will ever happen.
I'll keep an eye on this. But the more I read about the new tools, the less they interest me, the even more less I want to update and rather wait for the major release. Why can other firms to that better than Steinberg and AVID? Oh wait... Cakewalk and Apple? Er... no.