Musikmesse 2012: Propellerhead to share "exciting news"

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:Image
:D

I hope this new platform brings tons of success to you Urs.

Also can you show us the backside? :)
Last edited by grymmjack on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anosou wrote: It's of course up to developers to incorporate CV inputs/outputs but the option is there. All Rack Extensions will have audio outputs (and inputs if they're FX). Go nag your favorite developer to add more CV/audio jacks! :)
Are there demos of this functionality forthcoming?

I'm thrilled by this. Sure, for the average user this might just be 'another' plugin format. But for sonic wizards it's great to have plugins available in Reason, and that follow the rack paradigm that offer routing of both audio and CV.

Excellent news and pretty much what I expected and predicted - a bespoke iOS App and Propellerhead's own plug-in (essentially) format. I've always said that VST in Reason would be a daft idea because they wouldn't integrate fully into the Reason rack. This obviously gets around this. Very exciting news ........ Now, about that MIDI-output? :?

For everyone complaining this is "just another plugin format":

IT IS NOT!

Remember it has CV/Gate I/O, if you can't imagine what this means in terms of creative possibilities you aren't thinking straight. I think it's a great move from Props. I also agree that they should follow it up with MIDI Out capabilities. Reason as a plugin would be awesome as well.

someone make a midi out plugin asafp ! :)

Peff already has a Max patch that is mono out

yes but if you aren't on reason it is.....plus especially with small developers yet another format with its own bugs etc.....must be a nightmare for them....and I beta test for a few of them.. and see how even with the current formats it can be a nightmare....

Selfishly speaking as a u-he user for instance, I can't imagine this not affecting the time it takes to fix bugs and add features to the other formats and plug ins he already develops...

rsp

zvenx wrote:yes but if you aren't on reason it is.....plus especially with small developers yet another format with its own bugs etc.....must be a nightmare for them....and I beta test for a few of them.. and see how even with the current formats it can be a nightmare....
I think it's more likely that we will see Propellerheads 3rd party developers creating bespoke devices for Reason, complete with all the audio/cv trimmings around the back. This is not going to neccessarily going to mean Reason versions of plug-ins, which of course don't have all that virtual connectivity around the back ;)

oxygenet32 wrote:Oh well, i'm afraid I can't get excited about the Reason news, wow another program allows more instruments - sounds like they were running out of ideas for instruments rather than opening up the system willingly.

Think i'll stick with my trusty old FL Studio, at least I know what I get with that and they don't keep changing it's direction on me. Everything just works and it has had thousands of instruments for years, just like any other decent VST-capable host (Most of them).

I like Reason but, uh, just can't get excited by this at all. Good luck to those of you who use it regularly as your main host though, sure it'll be a boost to you but nothing really to attract new customers IMO.

Chris
The difference is that the plugins are "sandboxed". What that means is that the plugin runs within a software sandbox layer, so when a plug in crashes it doesn't crash Reason with it. So you still get Reason's rock solid reliability.

The other key advantage is that plugins behave like native Reason devices and not like external plugins. So they all keep the Reason workflow. That means for example you still get multiple undos and patch browsing is integrated within Reason itself. And also plugins are modular so you get CV inputs/outputs on the devices for building massive modular creations with dozens of stacked devices inside.

For me the biggie is that all plugins are cross platform and they instantly work on all your computers or any computer you have access to - you do not need to manage separate licences. So if I pop into a rented studio, I have immediate access to my entire rack on their computers - using either internet authorization or the usb stick.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

zvenx wrote:Selfishly speaking as a u-he user for instance, I can't imagine this not affecting the time it takes to fix bugs and add features to the other formats and plug ins he already develops...
Possibly. Another alternative is the SDK is much simpler to write to than AU/VST. Or maybe the captured plugin store nets him enough profit for him to hire another developer to focus on Reason versions more-or-less full time. It could go all sorts of directions. We'll see how it pans out, Urs is a pretty smart guy.

Liero wrote:For everyone complaining this is "just another plugin format":

IT IS NOT!

Remember it has CV/Gate I/O, if you can't imagine what this means in terms of creative possibilities you aren't thinking straight.
Exactly. If you are not familiar with the Reason rack concept, just imagine how cool it would be if your vst instruments and effects plug-ins were hardware modules with audio and CV/Gate inputs and outputs. If developers take full advantage of this capability, the possibilities will be endless.

bmrzycki wrote:
zvenx wrote:Selfishly speaking as a u-he user for instance, I can't imagine this not affecting the time it takes to fix bugs and add features to the other formats and plug ins he already develops...
Possibly. Another alternative is the SDK is much simpler to write to than AU/VST. Or maybe the captured plugin store nets him enough profit for him to hire another developer to focus on Reason versions more-or-less full time. It could go all sorts of directions. We'll see how it pans out, Urs is a pretty smart guy.
True. are they more Reason users than other DAW users in the world though?
I can't imagine that is true.

rsp

btw, for the most part doesn't cv gate etc stuff allow one to use audio as oscillators for synths etc and sidechaining and stuff, which for instance zebralette/dcam fx etc and a few other synths already allow and vst3 with sidechaining or what else am I missing?
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If that means we'll have zebra and Diva inside reason then i am all for it.
I just hope other reverb developers such as Relab, Valhalla etc. will jump in. This means finally decent FX inside Reason. I hope their SDK won't force developers to somehow cripple sonic quality. There isn't any reason for it i just hope they won't do it..

However i can't swallow their lie about this headline:

After years of resisting plug-ins, something different: Rack Extension is Reason's own format that opens the Rack to developers, but in the Props' view solves problems like providing undo, cross-platform compatibility, and easier collaboration than plug-ins provide.

I don't know i have undo for a decade now in every host i used.

Cross platform compatibility..They get that yes but for instance that is also possible within something as Reaktor or Max. And any decent DSP developer provide same plugin in multiplatform anyway so it is really a half crappy statement..

Why do they insist on collaboration? What the f***?!?? I can't imagine creating songs with people all over the world. There is a reason why there is just a few real artist and gazillion of people trying to pretend as few of them. So we all produce shitty things, with collaboration...it will be even more shitty...

But anyway i think Rack extension alone is worth of this.

zvenx wrote:btw, for the most part doesn't cv gate etc stuff allow one to use audio as oscillators for synths etc and sidechaining and stuff, which for instance zebralette/dcam fx etc and a few other synths already allow and vst3 with sidechaining or what else am I missing?
rsp
Well, for example, you could have CV out signals on a synth for the LFO's, envelopes or other modulators. You can then send these signals into the CV inputs of another synth or effect to modulate its parameters.

Or you could route the audio from one synth into another and process it with different filters.

You can even do clever things like having breakout audio jacks that basically allow you to have an fx loop within the device. Propellerhead did this on The Echo, a delay device introduced in Reason 6.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”