Musikmesse 2012: Propellerhead to share "exciting news"

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

CPB wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:but doesn't this mean Reason projects (and Combinators) will no longer be guaranteed to be completely 'portable' between different users' system?
I'd assume so, but hasn't this been the case since year dot with their Refills anyway? And I guess they *could* do something clever here: seeing as they have control of the distribution, it would probably be possible for Reason to automatically download evaluations of any missing Re plug-ins.

EDIT: Beaten by the speedy fingers of Synthbuilder.
Actually, one of the things we've tried to solve is just this. Project files will be portable as the Rack Extensions are authorized just like Reason and platform agnostic. It also allows collaboration and backwards compatibility! More exact details later - this wasn't quite the announcement but a tech preview - but the video mentions some of this. :)

spaceman wrote:
zvenx wrote:
musikmachine wrote:Interview here with some guy called Ernst :hihi:

that's one annoying interviewer....

goodness gracious.
rsp
Yes, why do they always pick socially awkward guys for this who look drunk, stoned or stuck in a 12 year old's mindset?
I've seen him do interviews and demos before and fwir he wasn't acting like that. :|
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

headquest wrote:Using the 30 day evaluation for missing Re plugs is the answer PH gave elsewhere.

Only works if you've not used up the 30 day evaluation previously though. At which point presumably you have to buy the same Re devices that your friends and collaborators have in order to keep working together.
Is this 30 day evaluation a universal thing mandated by the props? This would be very nice, always good to try before buying but most plugs are too restricted to really get into any depth with them before the demo restrictions hit you, they want you to judge it on it's presets

I wonder if PH's own units will be available on the shop for Reason Essentials owners?

liquid wind wrote:
headquest wrote:Using the 30 day evaluation for missing Re plugs is the answer PH gave elsewhere.

Only works if you've not used up the 30 day evaluation previously though. At which point presumably you have to buy the same Re devices that your friends and collaborators have in order to keep working together.
Is this 30 day evaluation a universal thing mandated by the props? This would be very nice, always good to try before buying but most plugs are too restricted to really get into any depth with them before the demo restrictions hit you, they want you to judge it on it's presets

I wonder if PH's own units will be available on the shop for Reason Essentials owners?
Yes, all Rack Extensions will have a 30 day evaluation period available.

We showed Radical Piano during the press conference which is a Rack Extension we made ourselves and Pulveriser, The Echo and Alligator actually are Rack Extensions but an early version of the tech. :)

Synthbuilder wrote: This is true. But then refills created a similar problem. Not having the right sample was always a bit of a downer. This may have changed in R6 though.

Tony
Ah, I'd overlooked samples in refills. Still, I wonder if this will compound things somewhat.

Anosou wrote:Here's the video of yesterday's press conference, hope it answers some of your questions and explains a bit why we did it.

Rack Extensions and Figure App Technology Preview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIsBdvLaCEY
[rant]
What an incredible amount of bullshit in that video. What on earth are they on when they say "you can finally undo changes you made to the rack/plugin!". I mean, WTF? I've been able to do this since.. well 6-7 years?? FL Studio has had undo for plugin parameter changes for ever. You can specifically choose if you want the undo system to take these changes into account.

Same with Reaper.. you can very easily undo whatever tweaks you did to the plugin.

Then they go on about the automation saying "you see the real name of the parameter and not some Midi CC whatever as in others". Again, pure bullshit. Seeing the actual named parameter of a VST plugin control has been there pretty much since day one of most major software. Actually, I'm not aware of a single host that lists plugin parameters as some silly CC workaround.

It's pretty weak to have to use this kind of bullshit for marketing.

This video alone made me loose massive respect for the Props. I had quite a lot of respect for their vision and dedication but man.. I didn't know they were this ruthlessly marketing driven. :?

I've used the Reason demo several times and never really got into their way of doing things but this was just the final drop.. there's no way in hell they are getting any of my money with this kind of bull attitude.

[/rant]
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

i'm excited to have Uhbiks in Reason, but do i have to pay for them again ... and for Synplant and for Microtonic etc?
"It dreamed itself along"

mellotronaut wrote:i'm excited to have Uhbiks in Reason, but do i have to pay for them again ... and for Synplant and for Microtonic etc?
I'm betting YES since Propellerheads are taking 30% from sales and they didn't get anything from your VST's.

bmanic wrote:
Anosou wrote:Here's the video of yesterday's press conference, hope it answers some of your questions and explains a bit why we did it.

Rack Extensions and Figure App Technology Preview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIsBdvLaCEY
[rant]
What an incredible amount of bullshit in that video. What on earth are they on when they say "you can finally undo changes you made to the rack/plugin!". I mean, WTF? I've been able to do this since.. well 6-7 years?? FL Studio has had undo for plugin parameter changes for ever. You can specifically choose if you want the undo system to take these changes into account.

Same with Reaper.. you can very easily undo whatever tweaks you did to the plugin.

Then they go on about the automation saying "you see the real name of the parameter and not some Midi CC whatever as in others". Again, pure bullshit. Seeing the actual named parameter of a VST plugin control has been there pretty much since day one of most major software. Actually, I'm not aware of a single host that lists plugin parameters as some silly CC workaround.

This video alone made me loose massive respect for the Props. I had quite a lot of respect for their vision and dedication but man.. I didn't know they were this ruthlessly marketing driven. :?

I've used the Reason demo several times and never really got into their way of doing things but this was just the final drop.. there's no way in hell they are getting any of my money with this kind of bull attitude.

[/rant]
True. On the other hand I've watched a lot of stuff like this and have yet to meet a company the size of Propellerheads that doesn't have marketing talk like that (or worse).

They want an Apple type "total control" ecosystem, that's for sure. Once you buy into the system, everything for the system is locked down to that particular host. It's a very profitable way to do things so I can see why the Props have been resisting VST plugins for a long time.

I'm pretty sure they came up with the Rack Extensions idea right about the time Apple launched the App store many years ago.

Cheers!
bManic

Liero wrote:
bManic wrote: Then they go on about the automation saying "you see the real name of the parameter and not some Midi CC whatever as in others". Again, pure bullshit. Seeing the actual named parameter of a VST plugin control has been there pretty much since day one of most major software. Actually, I'm not aware of a single host that lists plugin parameters as some silly CC workaround.

[/rant]
True. On the other hand I've watched a lot of stuff like this and have yet to meet a company the size of Propellerheads that doesn't have marketing talk like that (or worse).
Yeah, you are of course right. This just struck me as an exceptionally low type of marketing bullshit. They were almost lying, trying to make all other hosts and the VST platform look bad. Oh well.. that's marketing for ya and the Props really do know how to go about that. They'd have died out a long long time ago if that wasn't the case. :)

Cheers!

bmanic wrote: It's pretty weak to have to use this kind of bullshit for marketing.
And yet people buy into it. Check the CDM blog and you'll see respectable commentator Peter Kirn practically salivating at Re as though it's the next big thing. I find it weird that people who definitely DO KNOW BETTER let this kind of BS pass straight on through their radar undetected :?
Exactly the point I've made here and elsewhere - but usually get flamed by the Reason fanboys :roll:

I believe that the Props have HUGE advantages in their platform that they could sell without this obsessive need to constantly mislead their audience and make out every other platform in the world is sh*te. Why don't they simply tell the truth and show the real strengths of their product? :?

Links to other media sites and contact details are available at the bottom of my artists website.

http://venndiagram.ca

Liero wrote: True. On the other hand I've watched a lot of stuff like this and have yet to meet a company the size of Propellerheads that doesn't have marketing talk like that (or worse).
Actually I don't see Cakewalk, Steinberg and Ableton misrepresenting and badmouthing the competition like Propellerhead do. I think this shows a somewhat nasty streak that isn't the way the whole industry works.

This is taken from the website announcement today:
Propellerhead website marketing BS wrote: Instead of unstable plug-ins, authentication nightmares and compatibility complications, Propellerhead offers an alternative...
I just don't see this sort of agressive negativity from most of the other companies :shrug:

It looks like with the props SDK it won't take much time for a dev to port a plug over to thier fromat.

That way they can get back to work on VSTs for me!
Urs..stay away from the those Props!:D Riley
Asus CM6870 3AB, i7 3770 Ivy, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 7TB Internal, Windows 8 64bit Pro,RME Firface UC, Reaper. Ableton Live 9, Sonar X2, Maschine.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”