Musikmesse 2012: Propellerhead to share "exciting news"

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

arp_laszlo wrote:
Anosou wrote:
braj wrote:So will these be available for the Reason Essentials version?
Yes! That means you have a street-price-$99 Rack Extensions host with ReWire available. :)
O_O

Sorry but is that even that great of a thing? Since you can't rewire Reason effects, you would only be doing this for the devices, but it's extremely unlikely that third parties are going to be developing Reason devices that are all that different from their VST plugins. I figured most of the people that rewired either 1) want to use Reason instruments in other hosts, or 2) want to sequence on Reason but also use plugins not available in Reason. I can see some advantages to wanting to use a Reason device (undo, stability, routing), but nothing so great that you would buy a "Rack Extensions host with Rewire available" over a VST plugin...

Personally I'm kind of baffled as to why they are taking this route..

I thought the appeal of reason was the limitations and complete package functionality. With addons, this disappears. And with a select few addons and cumbersome wrapper, the main draw of plugins (vast variety, affordability) diminishes as well.

Worst of both worlds?

If I were to ever use Reason it would be to limit myself to a set of tools... :?
I run a netlabel http://oligopolistrecords.bandcamp.com
Free chill, hip-hop, lo-fi, ambient, experimental, for you! (Send me demos too!)

What about all the cool MIDI out plugins?

It's exciting to see Korg involved, as they've been silent for too long. Here's hoping they port Mod-7 to Reason!

Also, this is one step closer to a standalone reason controller.

musikmachine wrote:Just thinking about the 'legendary reason efficiency', i wonder will plugins be coded to run more efficiently with the sdk or will they be as demanding as their plugin counterparts?
Of course if you want the same sound you'll get same CPU usage. There isn't anything magical inside Reason SDK which will make for example Diva using less CPU.

quayquay17 wrote:Personally I'm kind of baffled as to why they are taking this route..

I thought the appeal of reason was the limitations and complete package functionality. With addons, this disappears. And with a select few addons and cumbersome wrapper, the main draw of plugins (vast variety, affordability) diminishes as well.

Worst of both worlds?

If I were to ever use Reason it would be to limit myself to a set of tools... :?
First of all, even though only a handful of rack extensions are known to us at this point, it's obvious that many more developers are going to become involved in the future so I see no reason to expect that there will be a lack of variety.

As for the price issue, I see no reason why the Re versions of existing plug-ins would need to cost much more and if new plug-ins are developed in the Re format, they might even cost the same.

The closed, limited aspect of Reason also will not be ruined unless you are a plug-in whore who has to get every new toy that comes out. If you choose to stick with the native Reason devices and only buy rack extensions that fill a gap in your production needs, I think it would be a good balance. For example, the Line6 amp/cab modeling devices in Reason are pretty crap, so guitarists might want a better rack extension for that. But they probably don't need to go and buy ten synthesizers and four versions of every effect, so they will stick with the Reason devices, which cover those needs for them.

And I think there are also a lot of people who don't care about the limited Reason environment anyway. They like Reason for other, um.. , reasons. Those people might be happy to buy dozens of rack extensions and I think it's nice that people can have that option.

Seems like a clever business model aka copying what works [Applesauce] getting a piece of the plugin pie and generating buzz in an attempt to appear relevant. :clap:

Well, Urs says he's excited about it. Isn't he like God around here?

SonicDimension wrote:Well, Urs says he's excited about it. Isn't he like God around here?
One of them

:hail:
:hug:

kmonkey wrote:
musikmachine wrote:Just thinking about the 'legendary reason efficiency', i wonder will plugins be coded to run more efficiently with the sdk or will they be as demanding as their plugin counterparts?
Of course if you want the same sound you'll get same CPU usage. There isn't anything magical inside Reason SDK which will make for example Diva using less CPU.
I know there's nothing magical but they might be coded differently to be more efficient, although people have been crying out for vst support for years so i guess they're willing to sacrifice that. :)

This video reveals something that surprised me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UipucpP ... tube_gdata

In the intro Ernst makes a little reveal. ;)

I think the bit about taking a day to demo 8 plugins is a tad exaggerated though. :hihi:
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

SonicDimension wrote:Well, Urs says he's excited about it. Isn't he like God around here?
Like God??? :x :smack:
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

headquest wrote:Well Propellerhead spin this myth that VSTs are unstable .... and then invite VST developers to come on board with their own format for a mere 30% :shock:
:hihi:

christianmusicmaker wrote:
headquest wrote:Well Propellerhead spin this myth that VSTs are unstable .... and then invite VST developers to come on board with their own format for a mere 30% :shock:
:hihi:
well, it only requires one crash for you to loose your awesome recording (midi) or editing

I've had a fair amount of crashes so while some never have them, some of us do. Not saying it's a great argument for praising props, but it's not an empty one.
:hug:

Crackbaby wrote: well, it only requires one crash for you to loose your awesome recording (midi) or editing

I've had a fair amount of crashes so while some never have them, some of us do. Not saying it's a great argument for praising props, but it's not an empty one.
If you've had a crash in Reason then actually it *IS* an empty argument.

The problem with crashes in Reason is that they have such a high opinion of their own stability that they haven't bothered to implement any kind of crash recovery or error reporting. So you lose the entire project - or even worse. I had to reinstall Reason 5 three times so far due to serious crashes that left the programme file corrupt (the dreaded "bad file format" error message that appears instead of Reason when you try and open the programme).

However stable a programme claims to be, surely it's worth adding a crash recovery system of sorts, and a professional way to log crashes and report them back to Propellerhead?

musikmachine wrote:Interview here with some guy called Ernst :hihi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llcItmKi ... tube_gdata
one seems like a completely calm, centered, balanced, healthy human being, and one seems like a completely drugged out lunatic

and that mic is WAY too close

[edit]
discussed already
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”