Anyone move from serious use of Studio One to Cubase 6?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys

I am having problems with my interface driver and S1. Aside from that I love S1's work flow but find its color scheme to dark. You also can't customize it that much.

Anyone used S1 and enjoyed it but moved to Cubase anyway? Are there draw backs to over all?

And anyone else, are you a power user in Cubase? Is it extremely fast and simple or does it get in the way?

And finally how do you sell it and what price is reasonable do you think? (I am using version 1 pro)

Thanks guys

Sami
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Have you considered just replacing your audio interface? I mean, if you're happy with S1, aside from the interface issue, and you know the software and get things done in it, wouldn't it make more sense to keep the software and replace the interface instead of having to learn a whole new piece of software?

Its Komplete Audio 6 and I really like it. I got it cheaper than I could get an equivalent in quality.

While I could replace it there are other reasons for switching too. Such as I mentioned before.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Gotcha.

hmmm. I am on mac (well pc as well but for this convo, mac) using cubase 6.5 with komplete audio as my audio card. I have until recently been demoing studio one v2 and quite frankly like lots of it more than I like cubase.....but I never once had a problem with studio one and my komplete audio.
mac, 10.6.8..here.
what are you using and what problems are you having?
thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

Cubase is a great product imo. If you aren't getting along well with S1 (why still on v1?) and you can afford Cubase, go for it.

As to how S1 looks, I find that it helps to turn on translucent clips in the Options screen (grid shines through), which makes the clip colors a bit softer.

Anyway, if Cubase is inspiring your muse (I assume you plan to demo?) go for it. Never let any software get in the way of making music.

Well, the problem I am having is this:

I cannot use the Komplete audio driver on S1 AND trigger VSTI by midi. The Midi indicator lights up, they will respond to knob movements, but not note data! Its the strangest thing. Presonus said its likely the driver so I am going to kontakt NI about it.

I can get around it with the ASIO4ALL driver but 1. I shouldn't have to 2. NI claims their driver gives very good performance and 3. The Asio4all creates some kind of aliasing sound in the high frequencies that is very obvious. I can get around that by switching to 96Khz but thats so much more CPU intense.

You ask why still v1? Well thats another thing, frankly I was pretty upset how much it cost to upgrade to v2. I didn't really need the new features that badly so it doesn't matter that much. I know on balance its still cheap but I did not feel like v2 was such a great leap to justify. ($120 right now because of sale).

Cubase 6 is $99 for a new customer. $150 if I want Padshop as well. I don't need any of the higher options.

I guess I used cubase a lot when I was younger. I have 5LE right now, I like it, its open clear and brighter. S1 looks a little depressing to me.

Small reasons, but its where you spend all of your composing time isn't it?
Aiynzahev-sounds

Cubase 6 is $99? I seriously doubt that. Are you saying that can jump all the way from LE5 to Cubase 6 for $99?

If so, grab it before they come to their senses. :lol:

Honestly, you gotta be talking about one of the other versions, not the full Cubase 6. The update from LE5 to Cubase Artist 6.5 is $200 so not sure what you plan to buy there for $99.

But sure, if software depresses you that's a very good reason to stop using it.

Is is the "elements" version of cubase? If its 99 for the full versions I may pick it up myself :)

Sorry its Elements that's $99. To me it is basically Cubase 6 without a extras I don't really need.

I wouldn't say S1 depresses me, but it is a lot of grey and its not very nice to look at. I am getting the demo of C6 now. In 5 le I've noticed a couple of things already that I think are better in S1. In S1 if I make a midi pattern and I want to duplicate it S1 will recognize the start position of the pattern and paste the next duplication in that order. Cubase le5 just dumps it immediately after the final note of the pattern.

This might be something I can configure or something that's changed in C6 but it's little things like that that really make s1 fast and fun to use.

Another thing I've noticed, the meters don't have decibel labels. You can't tell what level the fader is set to apart from the smaller displays. It looks odd like its un-finished. Just little things I would have to get used to I guess.

Those are the kinds of differences I am trying to suss out. They are both good so there might not really be much pro or con about it.
Aiynzahev-sounds

Seems two me there are 2 issues.

1. Audio interface issue, have you tried a demo of a different DAW to see if eveything is OK? Ableton/Reaper both have Demos available.

2. DAW issue I can see how a DAW would depress you, Reaper did that to me, so I went back to Ableton Live. That's just personal perference. I know Reaper you can change colors, but it doesn't look like Presonus would let you.

Have you looked into this:
http://www.able.audiomidi.com/assets/Cu ... 018[1].pdf

Looks like you can't use external instruments, and have a 16 VST limit. I don't think I could be confined to that. I would suggest looking out for a used copy of Cubase (even older version).

Aiyn wrote:Well, the problem I am having is this:

I cannot use the Komplete audio driver on S1 AND trigger VSTI by midi. The Midi indicator lights up, they will respond to knob movements, but not note data! Its the strangest thing. Presonus said its likely the driver so I am going to kontakt NI about it.
I suppose you have tried all the options in the Midi section at 'Studio One/Options/Advanced'. Have you also tried 'Ignore Audio Device Timestamps' in the Audio section? I had to do that to get S1 to work with my NI's Audio Kontrol 1.

standalone wrote:
Aiyn wrote:Well, the problem I am having is this:

I suppose you have tried all the options in the Midi section at 'Studio One/Options/Advanced'. Have you also tried 'Ignore Audio Device Timestamps' in the Audio section? I had to do that to get S1 to work with my NI's Audio Kontrol 1.
Eureka! You did it! I can't believe it. Presonus didn't even suggest this, they just told me to kontakt :P NI

This is so great. I've tried the set up before in Reaper and Cubase and they both worked fine. I demoed Cubase 6 last night... Well its certainly not as simple as S1 in my opinion. Its always like that with a new DAW though, but with S1 I didn't even need to read the manual. I feel like S1 is much easier to work with even though it has less options.

Now that the problem is solved, and I've been reminded how simple S1 is I'm gonna stick with it. I might even upgrade to S2 for the freeze function.

I feel like I wish I could offer you something in return. A small personalized sound-set for your synth of choice perhaps? I would be happy to do that.

Sami
Aiynzahev-sounds

Aiyn wrote: ...they just told me to kontakt :P NI
Oh you...
kiloHearts Developer

Dentoid wrote:
Aiyn wrote: ...they just told me to kontakt :P NI
Oh you...
Hey nice demo (In your phase)! Any news on kHz one?
Aiynzahev-sounds

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”