i wish fl studio was a true multitrack daw.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As shown, there are 3 types, and I've personally never needed more.

aciddose wrote:although i wouldn't blame them
Me neither. However, declicking isn't a new feature. I'd expect the more advanced users to know about it. If they didn't they should do now. Otherwise I can repeat myself (again) in a few pages time :lol::P

have you considered that he may have been referring to an easy to use "handles" based implementation? the "declicking" feature works sure, but it's a pain. what if you want to apply the cross-fade in the middle of a clip? how do you fade between multiple sources?

sort of like the "i-thing" ui style, using handles these functions are fairly intuitive. again, like the "i-thing" style however, if you don't know where they're hidden or that you need to use your pinky finger like dr.evil while holding the phone with your pointer and thumb like mr. steve "you're holding it wrong" jobs, it's a huge pain in the ass.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

i rarely use that bit. it must be useful. ;)
EDIT:
figured it out.
but woah.
i think you can just overlap two samples in the playlist, and by default go to the clip menu>Automate>Crossfade with>your other sample.
maybe everyone knew that?
awesome.

somehow the declick is broken on my FL 10.0.
it doesnt show the envelopes, and it isnt doing anything.
:shrug:
hmm, same in the demo on the web machine.
audiosabre, are you just ticking the declick option and that envelop pops up like your pic?
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote:audiosabre, are you just ticking the declick option and that envelop pops up like your pic?
You must drag the clip from the side (as if resizing) with a declicking method enabled, and you should see the envelope appear. The envelope may disappear from view when zoomed far out, but it's still active.

It doesn't work if stretching is enabled in the playlist, so make sure to disable it ;)

Take a look at the help file entry for more detailed info :)

aciddose wrote:have you considered that he may have been referring to an easy to use "handles" based implementation? the "declicking" feature works sure, but it's a pain. what if you want to apply the cross-fade in the middle of a clip? how do you fade between multiple sources?
Sure, that's why I mentioned handles a couple of posts above.

The first post sounded like a claim that there's no solution in FL Studio whatsoever ("you're screwed"). Obviously that isn't exactly true.

If declicking isn't a sufficient solution, it's possible to draw curves with automation. The different curves in FL can form any shape I've ever needed. But 99% of the time declicking gives transparent edits. Transparent edits are good enough for me :shrug:

edit: I should point out that I would like to zoom in at sample level and also have edison's tools directly in the playlist. In no way am I claiming that the current audio-editing system is flawless. But at the same time I do like to point out things that work.

audiosabre wrote:
bmanic wrote: 2) Having a basic but usable cross-fade option
:roll: For the second time in this thread...

There are different shapes and lengths to what's shown in the image.

Sure it isn't as intuitive as having crossfade handles, but it's definitely 'usable'...
Awesome! I actually missed it the first time around!

I blame it on this crappy iPad and the crappy wi-fi in Korea! (well it's the free hotel wi-fi so I can't really complain)

EDIT: Hmm.. is this a new feature in the beta? I can't find the friggin shape or where to tweak it. I have the various de-clicking options and that's a nice start but crossfades are not just for de-clicking alone. I'll try to investigate but any more specific information would be awesome!

EDIT2: Ok so I found it. You only get the visual representation of an audio clip if you shorten the actual start point a bit. That's a bit weird to be honest..

It seems to work okay but there doesn't seem to be any way to change the length of the cross fade other than messing with the preset de-clicking options. I guess it was only really intended as a de-clicking tool (which is definitely the most important part of cross-fading but not the only thing it's useful for).

EDIT3: It's also extremely tedious to do on projects with more than 30 audio files! Holy smokes!! Is there any way to change several audio clips at once? I tried multi-selecting them and changing the options but it doesn't seem to work.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

audiosabre wrote: edit: I should point out that I would like to zoom in at sample level and also have edison's tools directly in the playlist. In no way am I claiming that the current audio-editing system is flawless. But at the same time I do like to point out things that work.
And very good that you did! This is how we learn new stuff about FL Studio. I do use the damn software almost daily but I'm far from being a power user.. I just kind of got stuck in the "compose in this program.. do the rest elsewhere" mode for the past 10 years.

So cheers for pointing out the notMissing feature. :)

I do use volume automation clips a lot for basic editing tasks because they are so damn powerful and easy to use. I find it easier to automate the volume down to infinity rather than cutting, slightly depending on the situation. Now that I know about the various de-click options I might be doing a bit more cutting though.

Cheers!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

audiosabre wrote: You must drag the clip from the side (as if resizing) with a declicking method enabled, and you should see the envelope appear.
It doesn't work if stretching is enabled in the playlist, so make sure to disable it ;)
Sweeeeeet.
Quoted for cool. 8)
Thanks!
ImageImageImageImage

No problem gentlemen :D

Thanks, audiosabre! That was very timely, as FL Studio is finally starting to click for me (in the sense that I am finally starting to comprehend it). In fact, I was Googling "FL Studio crossfades" this very morning.

FL Studio (demo) 10.0.9 issues/questions:

Loop Recording:
Selecting an area in the PianoRoll won't Loop Record in that selected area. Does work in the Playlist, but I have to switch back to the Piano Roll in order to delete the recorded notes or use the undo feature (=hassle).

Blend Recorded Notes with Existing Data:
Is there no sub-option like Touch-Replace so that only the notes touched upon will be replaced?

Playback of MIDI notes During Recording:
Can't this be turned off for the (same) virtual instrument I use to record extra notes with (to blend with already existing notes for that same instrument/track)?

megalodonnl wrote:FL Studio (demo) 10.0.9 issues/questions:

Loop Recording (midi):
Selecting an area in the PianoRoll won't Loop Record in that selected area. Does work in the Playlist, but I have to switch back to the Piano Roll in order to delete the recorded notes or use the undo feature (=hassle).

Blend Recorded Notes with Existing Data (midi):
Is there no sub-option like Touch-Replace so that only the notes touched upon will be replaced?

Playback of MIDI notes During Recording:
Can't this be turned off for the (same) virtual instrument I use to record extra notes with (to blend with already existing notes for that same instrument/track)?

I reply with quote to bump up this topic because I'd love to have the above guestions answered. It's so annoying there's no way to post on image-line's forums unless you're already a paid user.

On top of the above questions I'd like to mention that any half-decent FREE DAW software is equipped with a 'piano roll'/'midi editor' and can record Audio.

This is how it SHOULD be in a DAW in my opinion and I find it absurd how some hosts, incl. FL Studio, don't even have a BASIC feature like audio recording unless you purchase the Producer function and higher. Even Audacity can record audio.

And please don't give me the 'life-time-updates' mantra because it's not relevant.

When I listen to music or read posts I sometimes really wonder how many real musicians are using these DAWS. I mean people who actually play a physical instrument. Are they not bothered with the lack of these BASIC features I mentioned above? Don't they even notice these things because the only thing they can play with is a mouse? Is it really just kids with a mouse these days that only milk out the concept of repetition when they 'compose' a new song? Anybody?

And yes, I know Afro Jack uses FL Studio, but that's not a musician to me. That's another person who milks out the concept of repetition, which seems to be the norm these days. I do admit he's big for a 'kid'.
Last edited by megalodonnl on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megalodonnl wrote:[
I reply with quote to bump up this topic because I'd love to have the above guestions answered. It's so annoying there's no way to post on image-line's forums unless you're already a paid user.
So, what you are saying is you are trying out the demo?

megalodonnl wrote: It's so annoying there's no way to post on image-line's forums unless you're already a paid user.
The nerve of them bastidz.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”