Cubase 6
59%
Ableton Live 8
41%

Total votes: 68

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks you all for answers.
I have to say that I'm going with Cubase and Reallllly happy with it.
Cubase is the best DAW for mixing . BUT I still not happy with drum machine.
Ableton Live Drum Machine Is The BEST Drum Machine EVER . I Wanna know is there a drum machine like one in ableton live?
you know in ableton you can change drum pitch with a controller and you can do insane things.
thanks for your times.

Afrojack uses FL Studio. I prefer Cubase, but I wouldn't classify FL Studio as a toy. Clearly it's not the tools, but person who uses the tools who makes great music.

Farjad wrote:Cubase is the best DAW for mixing . BUT I still not happy with drum machine.
Ableton Live Drum Machine Is The BEST Drum Machine EVER . I Wanna know is there a drum machine like one in ableton live?
I use Maschine within Cubase. That's the best system I've ever encountered, providing me with everything I've wanted from all DAW's.

Live is just astounding for drums/samples/etc. PLUS you can record shit and chop it with ease. Not really in maschine. Always a hassle to me. Sure it works, but not quite the same.

Now, the included kits are pretty nice. I have "conant gardens" and "transistor" punch. and they are great additions for grooves. Maschine integrates to some degree with Live, but it's still a little clunky (at least it's better than reaper!!!!!!!)

Farjad, it really depends on what kind of pro you are talking about.

You can make professional electronic music with almost anything now, certainly with any of those daws you mentioned, it just depends on what you like.

There are various reasons why pro's use the tools they do, and they may or may not apply to you.

Many "pros" use Nuendo for example. But why? It is because they also do post video work and film scores. Do you or I need that? No, it would be a huge waste of money for features we'd simply never use.

A lot of professional electronic music makers use FL Studio or Ableton.

Some other daws like Cubase and Logic handle large complex recording sessions better, things most electronic music producers don't really deal with.

For me, FL studio looks un-attractive and dark, but I understand it's pretty well featured now. I just never got on with the way you compose in it, others love it.

Studio one is very easy and quick to use, but looks a little unfinished and mixing on Cubase is much better.

Cubase can be a little frustrating because of it's windows (on PC), they are not "docked" like S1 and they tend to just float around all over the place.

Albeton is very appealing to me, but it still does not have good latency compensation according to reports, so I'd be more interested in it as a sketch pad.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

If the concepts are different enough it makes sense to use some different DAWs. This is IMO true with Live and Cubase. The (pro) musicians I know about using Cubase in the studio to produce and later using Live for live performance/DJing etc.

But it seems that in some music styles Live is the preferred DAW (minimal or freestyle/experimental electronic). So it's also a bit style depended or if linear sequencing works better instead of a more loop/pattern based sequencing.

(I personally don't like Fruity Loops)

I use Cubase for linear type recording (generally guitar based songs or more orchestral arrangements that don't have a build-up/break down type structure)

I don't think anything beats Live for fast dance music production, its immediate, fun and very, very fast to produce with. Like many people, I almost think of live as an instrument, a sort of sampler/workstation, especially with racks and MAX; suit 9 (which includes MAX) really is all you will ever need to make electronic/dance/ambient type music.

Both have more complexity and features than you will ever probably need or master, so its horses for courses, if you can only get one, decide what type of music you will be writing/producing (or wait for BITWIG and see if it can do both well… or go Reaper/Live)

I have never used fruity loops- can't get past the name!

SLiC wrote:
no to be nit picky but this always bugs me.

the name of the daw is fl studio. has been for the past 10 years.

or maybe you still call it a datsun altima as well?
ImageImageImage

Farjad wrote:By Pro I Mean Who's Know The Music Well. You Know That FL Is Like A Toy. Anyone Could Make A Beat With It. But Did U See Any Audio Engineer Or Producer Or A Famous Artist To Work With That?
Madeon, Feed Me, Porter Robinson, Avicii, Afrojack, Bass Hunter, Seven Lions, etc.

http://www.image-line.com/documents/powerusers.html

I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd chime in with this
~Alyx
soundcloud.com/alyxonfire

chaosWyrM wrote:
SLiC wrote:

Potato, patato, tomato, tomatto,

Btw this should be updated to cubase 7, live 9, or FL 10 :hihi:

hibidy wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:
SLiC wrote:

Wait a minute... Live 9 has been released? you must mean the beta. I was kind of hoping we would see a release during NAMM.

Here's to hope. :tu:

Well, it's readily available

CTStump wrote:
hibidy wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:
SLiC wrote:

Wait a minute... Live 9 has been released? you must mean the beta. I was kind of hoping we would see a release during NAMM.

Here's to hope. :tu:
I don't think they're anywhere near to releasing

this was posted 5 days ago by an Ableton employee on the beta forum
I definitely see the importance of CPU load / performance issues in conjunction with plug-ins and/or in comparison to other audio software, but - as stated above several times, too - it's much harder to compare such results. At this point of the Beta testing, we can't concentrate on this.
Get Satisfaction - People Powered Customer Service
~Alyx
soundcloud.com/alyxonfire

I would say that cubase is very powerful for mixing, and I tend to like that the setup feels kinda like a real studio. But it's quite a lot of work to set it up for a good workflow.

So when I use Cubase to make electronic music, the bad workflow can really be a creativity-killer. But it's GREAT for arranging glitches and stuff for complextro etc.

Recording a metal album. Cubase FTW!

Ableton is really good workflow-wise IMO. And incredible for using live (Ableton Live?).

Another one is Propellerheads "Reason". I (used to) rewire it into my cubase, and it's very very nice for arranging beats and loop-stuff. Worth a look.

But all in all, I use VST's. So for me, as long as the workflow is nice (and workflow has almost become the most important aspect for my choices), and the DAW is economic resource-wise, it's the same which DAW I use. I can get the same results regarding the audio quality.

I use Cubase 5, and rewire it with ableton live nowadays. It is great!

-Ari

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”