Sustain pedal with Ableton live 8

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Using a sustain pedal with Novation SL MKII and Live 8.3.

Is there a way to send sustain to only one track in a mix. I want it to only send sustain to a Piano in Kontakt but it sends it to Omnisphere, Trilian Electri6ity, DIVA, Zebra at the same time. I like to play all instruments at the same time I only need sustain on the piano instrument / track.

Hi,

You should be able to achieve this using Zones on the Sl MkII.

First of all make sure the keyboard port MIDI channel is set to 1. To do this press the 'quick menu' button and use the encoder beneath the 'KeybChan' setting to select 1 if not already selected. Now follow the steps below:

1) Press the 'global' button. Touch the encoder beneath where ''GlbZones' is displayed on the LCD.
2) Use the relevant encoder to set 'Glb Zones' to 'On'. Touch the encoder beneath 'ZoneEdit' to enter the Zone Edit menu.
3) The settings for Zone 1 should be displayed on the LCD. Press the button beneath 'Low Note', press the lowest note on the Sl MkII keyboard.
4) Press the button beneath 'High Note', press the highest note on the Sl MkII keyboard.
5) Ensure that 'MidiChan' is set to 'KeybCHAN' and that 'Ports' is set to 'KeybPORT'.
6) Use the relevant encoder to select Zone 2. Set the low and high notes as before.
7) Set 'MidiChan' to '2' and 'Ports' to 'KeybPORT'.
8) Configure a separate Zone for each of the instruments you would like to control in Live. Ensure that each Zone transmits on a different MIDI channel of the keyboard port.
9) Press the 'edit' button and set 'Zones' to 'GLOBAL'. Press the 'edit' button to exit the menu.
10) Press and hold the 'edit' button nd operate the sustain pedal. 'SUSTAIN' should be displayed on the LCD. Release the 'edit' button then use the 'P1' upwards button to access page two of the menu.
11) Ensure that 'MidiChan' is set to 'KeybCHAN' and that 'Ports' is set to 'KeybPORT'.
12) Press the 'write' button twice to save your changes.

Now in Ableton Live you can set each of your instruments to receive on separate MIDI channels. The instrument which is set to receive on channel 1 will respond to the sustain pedal.

I hope that this helps. If you have any further questions please contact Novation technical support using the contact form on the Novation answerbase.

http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase/en/contact.php

Best regards,

Alex // Novation Technical Support
www.novationmusic.com

Thanks for the help I did all that and set channel 1 for the piano in ableton and channel 2 for Omnisphere but they both still have sustain on them. maybe I got confused at step 8.

Hi,

I've taken a closer look at this. The sustain pedal should only transmit on the channel selected however there seems to be a minor bug which causes it to transmit on all channels. I have notified our developers of this. Hopefully we should be able to address this soon with a firmware update.

A temporary workaround would be to assign the sustain message (CC 64) to a button on the SL MkII. In doing this you can specify which channel you would like the message to be transmitted on.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Alex // Novation Technical Support
www.novaitonmusic.com

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”