Reason 6.5 - Any new workflow features, or just RE?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sellyoursoul wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:the Props should be aware, most of their customers use other hosts too. i (and a lot of other peeps, i suppose)can't buy everything again (and i don't want). the only way to milk the cow again, is to make it fairly cheap. if it was 5 years ago, well ... , but now we're overequipped. look at the kvr marketplace. i only buy stuff now, after having sold something.

:party:

to do some cable fun is the only reason, why i'm excited about some extra stuff in Reason. Sugarbytes' Stepsequencer e.g.
That is exactly what I'm thinking. Depending on how things look with what is available soon with RE and prices, I may be selling off Reason and adding a few plugins to Reaper. I just saw a price of $69 for a pitchshifter RE, and I think that is indicative of how things are going to go for me.

Actually it's a dual channel harmonizer with some granular locking and freezing features but hey if people think $69 is too much well I just don't know.
I am chomping at the bit for the Uhbik's, New Comp's, Decent Reverbs, Polar, Pulsar, Etch Red, Buffre etc myself - they just need midi out in V7.0 and I'll be happy as larry.
That said I use a 27" Screen and couldn't imagine working with Reason on a laptop .....ewwwwwww (I'd go insane).
Links to other media sites and contact details are available at the bottom of my artists website.

http://venndiagram.ca

FaX wrote:
sellyoursoul wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:the Props should be aware, most of their customers use other hosts too. i (and a lot of other peeps, i suppose)can't buy everything again (and i don't want). the only way to milk the cow again, is to make it fairly cheap. if it was 5 years ago, well ... , but now we're overequipped. look at the kvr marketplace. i only buy stuff now, after having sold something.

:party:

to do some cable fun is the only reason, why i'm excited about some extra stuff in Reason. Sugarbytes' Stepsequencer e.g.
That is exactly what I'm thinking. Depending on how things look with what is available soon with RE and prices, I may be selling off Reason and adding a few plugins to Reaper. I just saw a price of $69 for a pitchshifter RE, and I think that is indicative of how things are going to go for me.

Actually it's a dual channel harmonizer with some granular locking and freezing features but hey if people think $69 is too much well I just don't know.
I am chomping at the bit for the Uhbik's, New Comp's, Decent Reverbs, Polar, Pulsar, Etch Red, Buffre etc myself - they just need midi out in V7.0 and I'll be happy as larry.
That said I use a 27" Screen and couldn't imagine working with Reason on a laptop .....ewwwwwww (I'd go insane).
But RE is a plugin format which takes away some freedoms of ownership, at what is looking to be, no monetary discount for doing so. A vst plugin can be used across hosts and can be sold, should the owner want to. With RE, if a person decides to change hosts, the plugins have to go with it, and if a person tires of a plugin, it can't be sold without also selling the host. Also keeping in mind that most of us already own plugins that can be used in virtually any host, except for Reason. On the plus side for RE there is better connectivity and another layer of QA, but only within Reason. I don't know that I'm willing, certainly not anxious, to filter my choice of plugins through a single company. It seems like since I began using Reason, everything comes down to this statement for me: I like Reason, but I dislike the direction of Propellerheads' business practices.

Like I said before, I'm going to weigh everything once 6.5 is released and go from there.

Personally going forward I will probably only buy plugins from the 'Reason Store' or whatever it may be called. I actually prefer the idea of having 1 place where all my plugs are backed up & update automatically without me needing to manage it.
Pineapple Lounge Records
http://www.pineappleloungerecords.com

Funk Dracula wrote: I totally agree with the fact that this program is not well thought out window wise. It's a nightmare on a laptop; I can't imagine it even being remotely useable for those without two finger swipe capability to scroll all over the place. The best solution I came up with all around to deal with this graphical clusterf*ck was to detach the rack, mixer and sequencer windows and toggle through them with command + ~ and learn the key command shortcuts. The mixer window is downright HILARIOUS. I know Propellerhead's likes to simulate hardware graphically in the Reason experience; but this is just.... :shock:

I remember this program being much easier to use on a laptop. If they added a few more shortcuts to either make elements appear or disappear it would help workflow a lot. I can't comment on the Record workflow side of things, but I'd almost say every last negative thing concerning workflow on the sequencer/softsynth side is 90% graphical. I'm sure it's fine if you have the worlds most ginormous monitor and can leave everything fully displayed.
I empathize - like many things in Reason, there's a learning curve - but window management is pretty easy if you master F5/F6/F7. F5 opens the mixer,F6 opens the Rack, F7 opens the sequencer and any combination will open two of them in split view. Plus they toggle - if I'm in a split view of the rack and sequencer and I press F5, it will bring up the mixer in full screen, if I press it again, it'll bring me back to the rack/sequencer. So most of the time, I'm just toggling between two views, much like I am in Live.

Haha, can you imagine the Reason mixer (or rack for that matter) on the new Mac Book Pro with the Retina display?

2880x1800 on a 15" display. Hahaha, now that's tiny for you! :D

eXode wrote:Haha, can you imagine the Reason mixer (or rack for that matter) on the new Mac Book Pro with the Retina display?

2880x1800 on a 15" display. Hahaha, now that's tiny for you! :D
Software that doesn't support retina display modes will be pixel doubled (or whatever factor is needed to appear properly "sized"). But I hope Reason (& others) get updates to natively support retina displays because I'm sick of seeing blurry antialiasing instead of curves and I'm even more sick of blurry text.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

bmrzycki wrote:
kmonkey wrote:Reason 6.5 has no changes to its workflow.
I have signed an NDA so I cannot say much except that this statement is incorrect.
The update is out now so I guess the NDA has been lifted. What else than RE's are in the update? Couldn't find any update info on their site.

This video of pulsar is really cheese worthy material. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdd0OfMghTA
musisikamar.com

A bit of Proppellerhead humour there. :hihi: Pulsar looks quite decent but this really got my attention...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-oElJnwbD4

Re - freshingly creative :wink: :hihi:

The prices are quite high ........... 65€ for a ring modulator?!

49€ for ABL2 is ok .. but i own it as a vst, should i now pay that? ... uh.
:hug:

Crackbaby wrote:The prices are quite high ........... 65€ for a ring modulator?!

49€ for ABL2 is ok .. but i own it as a vst, should i now pay that? ... uh.
65€ for a RM? That sounds way overpriced. You can't even resell it and if you sell Reason they are to no use for anyone as you can't transfer the RE licenses.
Btw, I can't see any prices in the shop, I only see "Price: -". Is that because I don't own Reason?

the first two have no price as they're free for now

I think you should be able to see the prices!

http://shop.propellerheads.se/ You don't see them here?
:hug:

Nope. For every product I only see: Price: -

For instance SYNAPSE AF-4 ANALOG FILTER:

Category: Studio FX
Released: 2012-06-14
Version: 1.0.0
Price: -
Developer: Synapse Audio
Rating: 4.0

Crackbaby wrote:the first two have no price as they're free for now

I think you should be able to see the prices!

http://shop.propellerheads.se/ You don't see them here?
You should definitely see the prices, I'm not currently logged in at all (fresh rebuild) and I can see the prices.

kae wrote:Nope. For every product I only see: Price: -

For instance SYNAPSE AF-4 ANALOG FILTER:

Category: Studio FX
Released: 2012-06-14
Version: 1.0.0
Price: -
Developer: Synapse Audio
Rating: 4.0
I see the same thing kae. I'm on my work computer and don't have Reason installed though -- not sure if that should matter.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”