Kontakt/VST now whoring my CPU/ASIO?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys.

I've read similar posts regarding the issues that I am having and think I have tried all the solutions to no avail.

The gist is this: I recently upgraded my 1.5 year old comp with an SSD drive, when I did it, I did a complete reinstall of my system. I am running Cubase Artist 6.07 and have Komplete 8 installed as well. Previously, I could run multiple instances of Kontakt with whatever going and it would be fine on the processor. Now, I open up one instance inside of Cubase and If I start pounding on something CPU heavy (like abbey road modern drummer for instance) I get glitches and can watch the ASIO meter freak out and go crazy.

I have messed around with the buffer which doesn't make much of a difference in performance. I have also made sure that Cubase is using the correct driver for audio in the menus (running an RME multiface 2)

The only thing I haven't tried yet to fix it is putting all of the audio stuff on one drive. I have a 120G SSD that I loaded the abbey road instrument on as well as the samples (since it takes forever to load) I however, have the rest of Kontakt and my VST's on my other internal drive (1.5TB Seagate standard HD)
I wasn't sure if maybe the comp is trying to access 2 drives at once which might screw it up. (Have Cubase installed on the SSD)

Any other ideas? It's driving me crazy, I was trying to upgrade for faster access to those sample banks, but in essence I've downgraded and can no longer run what I once could =/

Just FYI the comp is a gateway with a quad core i5 2300 w 8 gigs of ram.

Any ideas? :?

thanks
dave

there isn't anything to be gained by having the applications on two drives and it seems like a bad idea to me.

You absolutely want the samples to be on other than a systems drive but do put Kontakt.vst on the same, the systems drive as Cubase and I believe your problem will vanish.

That location of .vst does not help the performance of the .nkb and its content etc. It seems reasonable that this dual placement - of applications - is the problem.

Thanks much,
I'll shift stuff around and see if this fixes the issue.

jancivil wrote:It seems reasonable that this dual placement - of applications - is the problem.
No, it doesnt. Not even slightly.

othevad wrote:Hey guys.

I've read similar posts regarding the issues that I am having and think I have tried all the solutions to no avail.

The gist is this: I recently upgraded my 1.5 year old comp with an SSD drive, when I did it, I did a complete reinstall of my system. I am running Cubase Artist 6.07 and have Komplete 8 installed as well. Previously, I could run multiple instances of Kontakt with whatever going and it would be fine on the processor. Now, I open up one instance inside of Cubase and If I start pounding on something CPU heavy (like abbey road modern drummer for instance) I get glitches and can watch the ASIO meter freak out and go crazy.

I have messed around with the buffer which doesn't make much of a difference in performance. I have also made sure that Cubase is using the correct driver for audio in the menus (running an RME multiface 2)
What else did you change when you did the reinstall? OS, driver versions, software versions, anything? Any possibility you changed anything in the BIOS? What about network or video card drivers, are you using the same versions, or the newest ones?
The only thing I haven't tried yet to fix it is putting all of the audio stuff on one drive. I have a 120G SSD that I loaded the abbey road instrument on as well as the samples (since it takes forever to load) I however, have the rest of Kontakt and my VST's on my other internal drive (1.5TB Seagate standard HD)
I wasn't sure if maybe the comp is trying to access 2 drives at once which might screw it up. (Have Cubase installed on the SSD)
No, that wont screw it up.
Any other ideas? It's driving me crazy, I was trying to upgrade for faster access to those sample banks, but in essence I've downgraded and can no longer run what I once could =/

Just FYI the comp is a gateway with a quad core i5 2300 w 8 gigs of ram.

Any ideas? :?

thanks
dave
Your first step is to isolate the problem.

Check the DPC latency, look for large spikes.

Install ASIO4All and see if you can get a non-glitching behaviour with that, even if you have to go to large buffer sizes. If you can, then you know the issue is with the MultiFace side of things.

Also, try another host, like Reaper or something else. If you can get that working with the Multiface without issues, you know the problem lies with Cubase.

etc etc

The important process is to isolate individual aspects of the system and test them. Dont make assumptions that some random factor is involved. Find out exactly which factor is involved.

I made a separate partition on my older HD and installed audio only apps on it.
(The seagate.. non SSD)
Same exact issues after a full install. I just read your post whyterabbyt and am completely realizing that you are correct.

When I did the comp upgrade, I changed a few things. I upgraded the power source from the stock version that came in the gateway, bought a new graphics card which I have since installed as well (use the machine for a few games as well besides audio) I upgraded the boot drive to the SSD
(therefore changed the boot options when I hold down delete at start or whatever at the machine startup.)

I don't think I made anything besides those changes. Oh yeah, I'm running dual monitors for edit/mix off of the new GFX card as well.
I don't really know a shit ton about computers, just enough to install some crap and usually get it working. I'll look as that program (asio4all) and see what the deal is w that.
thanks
dave

othevad wrote:I made a separate partition on my older HD and installed audio only apps on it.
(The seagate.. non SSD)
Same exact issues after a full install. I just read your post whyterabbyt and am completely realizing that you are correct.

When I did the comp upgrade, I changed a few things. I upgraded the power source from the stock version that came in the gateway, bought a new graphics card which I have since installed as well (use the machine for a few games as well besides audio) I upgraded the boot drive to the SSD
(therefore changed the boot options when I hold down delete at start or whatever at the machine startup.)

I don't think I made anything besides those changes. Oh yeah, I'm running dual monitors for edit/mix off of the new GFX card as well.
I don't really know a shit ton about computers, just enough to install some crap and usually get it working. I'll look as that program (asio4all) and see what the deal is w that.
thanks
dave
IMO, the graphics card change is defnitely an additional thing to investigate. What interface is the Multiface? Graphics cards can hog the bus they're on. If the MF is on PCIe and so is the video card, that'd be something I'd want to test thoroughly straight away, eg with your older graphics card, or moving the MF card into a different slot. Either way, its another thing to look into.

Hey Why.

I was thinking that since the Multiface 2 and the New GFX card are both power whores. The GFX card has 2 plugs directly into the power source, and the Multiface's PCIe is located directly next to the GFX card's PCIeX16 that it is sitting in.

In other news, I updated to the newest ASIO4all drivers and it seemed to make a very minor difference. A touch, which is still better, but nowhere near where this should be or previously was running for audio. I also ran the DPC latency test which passed with flying colors as well as tried reaper. No improvements with any of these changes.

I'll try reseating the Multiface's PCI card and see if that makes a diff. I'm wondering if I may have to order the Multiface's outboard power source.
I know that you have to make some adjustments to the computers power system in the control panel in order to get it to power up.

thanks
dave

othevad wrote:Hey Why.
:-} Just to clarify, his KVR nickname is Whyterabbyt, like the White Rabbit in "Through the Looking-Glass." Not as in "Why terabyte?" Until today I never noticed it could be parsed that way.

lol.
I was totally thinking the one you weren't
:)

Meffy wrote:
:-} Just to clarify, his KVR nickname is Whyterabbyt, like the White Rabbit in "Through the Looking-Glass." Not as in "Why terabyte?" Until today I never noticed it could be parsed that way.
I did ;)

I was thinking that since the Multiface 2 and the New GFX card are both power whores. The GFX card has 2 plugs directly into the power source, and the Multiface's PCIe is located directly next to the GFX card's PCIeX16 that it is sitting in.

In other news, I updated to the newest ASIO4all drivers and it seemed to make a very minor difference. A touch, which is still better, but nowhere near where this should be or previously was running for audio. I also ran the DPC latency test which passed with flying colors as well as tried reaper. No improvements with any of these changes.

I'll try reseating the Multiface's PCI card and see if that makes a diff. I'm wondering if I may have to order the Multiface's outboard power source.
I know that you have to make some adjustments to the computers power system in the control panel in order to get it to power up.

thanks
dave
Hmmm. What wattage is your new PSU, out of interest?

Where's your plugin folder located? UAC settings? How does Kontakt run in standalone?

If you didn't run Kontakt as a standalone, do so. If it runs without problems, close Kontakt, reboot and do a forced rescan of your plugins.

Plugin folder- if your plugin folder's in Program Files, move it to the root of your drive.

ew
A spectral heretic...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”