Auto timestretching of audio clips - other DAWs than Acid and Live?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

satYatunes wrote:Sonar X1 does preview at tempo even for non-acidized wav files. If you want to get close to Acid then Sonar is the one cause it previews the loops at Tempo and Key just like Acid. You can change the Key of the entire project too. The catch is that the loops need to be acidized wav files. Reaper can preview at tempo as well. One advantage Reaper has that you can select the algo that you want to use in the project pref. I agree with above comments on Sonar's real time groove clip algo but Radius is the best. Bounce all the clips offline using Radius to get the best out of it. I believe even Studio One lets you preview loops at the project tempo.
ahh ok so they changed it in sonar x1 to allow real time preview in tempo of all clips.

Cubase and Logic do automatic Key as well.

cheers.

p.s. good tip re studio one i forgot about that one

Crackbaby wrote:If you wanna stretch it, NI's Traktor 2.5 with that F1 hardware lets you use loops in realtime .. sort of another way of workflow not being a daw. Im seriously considering getting it, just to get that "live" feeling to arrangements!

worth thinking about!

Dubspot's video showing F1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC3PBTeMvzQ
I use Ableton with the APC40. What does the F1 offer beyond that?

dw

I own Sonar X1 and so far have found the groove/loop features to be somewhat clunky, compared to ACID.. but then again, ACID's whole appeal/selling point was its looping/beat detection/stretching capabilities, and even it had some frustrating moments during the learning curve. We've all seen the evolution of stretching algorithms, bpm estimators, and transient detection methods over the years, and today a full DAW without these sorts of functions will likely be perceived as incomplete or inferior, when not long ago it had quite the "Ooooh!" factor. Having started chopping audio the manual way, I was definitely among those "ooooh"ing, and though nothing is ever perfect (Reaper's default tempo-matching makes some strange decisions sometimes) I'm still pretty darn impressed by what's possible... like so much else, it's often a trade-off between "I just want it to do X without hours of twiddling" and "How dare some code decide it knows what I want better than I do?!?" Or, in other words, the fine balance between ease-of-use/workflow speed vs. power/flexibility...

Sometimes limitations lead to more creativity- Tuareg couldn't give me 64-bit-internal-precision, analog-circuit-modeled, jitter-minimized glowing shiny perfection, but it sure ate up a lot of time because it was a hell of a lot of fun ;)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”