Per note automation like in Bitwig studio also in Reaper?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wanted to know, if there is something like a per note automation like in bitwig studio also in reaper.

Any idea?

cheers
classic.

I could be wrong but from what I remember both host AND only VST3 plugin need to support this. Cubase 6 and it's internal synths do this - someone please confirm.
Cowbells!

I would like to know more about this also. Tracktion 5 has it.

dalor wrote:I could be wrong but from what I remember both host AND only VST3 plugin need to support this. Cubase 6 and it's internal synths do this - someone please confirm.
This is correct - BOTH host and VST must support VST3 protocols. In the case of "per note" it actually requires support of VST 3.5.

Cubase supports VST 3.5 which is the protocol for per note automation.

Bitwig is purported to support VST 3.5 in it's upcoming release for its internal instruments.

Studio One supports VST 3 (NO per note automation).

I believe Sonar X3 also supports VST3 (Again, NO per note automation.)

Live is not currently supporting VST 3. (Buggers! :hihi:)

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Just to be clear;

VST 3 does NOT support "per note" manipulation. It's basically not much more than VST 2 was/is. I do not know the exact specifications, just enough to be dangerous from reading KVR threads :hihi:

I became all hyper way back when Steinberg first announced this possibility and confused VST 3 with VST 3.5, only to become disappointed once I realized there are no VST's (except Steinberg's) that support the protocol.:x

So it seems it's going to be a while before we actually get to implement "per note" manipulations, based upon how quickly the devs jump on board with VST 3.5.

Many will be implementing VST 3 soon now that Steinberg has stopped all support for the VST 2 protocol. (Although they did make the SDK available to devs for whomever wishes to continue to use the outdated technology.)

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Correction: Bitwig doesn't support VST 3.x in version 1.0
They developed per note automation internally for their own instruments before this was available in VSTs.

It will be interesting to see which company other than Steinberg will be first to introduce VST 3.5 versions with note expression, now that hosts start to implement it.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

classic wrote:Just wanted to know, if there is something like a per note automation like in bitwig studio also in reaper.

Any idea?

cheers
classic.
Reaper doesn't seem to be up to adding anything really new anymore, you might just as well jump ship right now. I doubt things like VST3/3.5 or ARA will be seen in this decade. :(

Turns out (from what I gather anyway) that the idea of Bitwig being VST3 was caused by them initially using the wrong VST logo graphic on their website.

Yeah, but then again, with the tech already in place, I guess it's only a question of time until it's implemented.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

ThomasHelzle wrote:Correction: Bitwig doesn't support VST 3.x in version 1.0
They developed per note automation internally for their own instruments before this was available in VSTs.

It will be interesting to see which company other than Steinberg will be first to introduce VST 3.5 versions with note expression, now that hosts start to implement it.

Cheers,

Tom
SOMEday I'll get this right :hihi: I feel like Vinney from Welcome back Kotter! :lol:

Thank you Thomas. You had informed me this previously and I STILL can't digest it :hihi:

At least I had the part correct about "their internal instruments" :D

Apologies to dalor, et al, for the confusing information about Bitwig and VST 3.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

hehehe - no problem ;-)

OMG - Welcome back Kotter - are you as old as I am to remember that? LOL

... and YES, for internal instruments there is per note expression and nicely implemented at that ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

T5 does support VST 3 but it looks like this is available for all plugins - don't know how they pulled it off.

It's my impression that there are different concepts in that realm and it's getting rather confusing:

- You can have simple per note automation using standard CCs. This works with every plugin but isn't polyphonic, one value overwrites the other.
The good thing making it still worthwhile is, that if you move around notes, the automation follows. I think that is what T5 does with VST 2.4 plugins? Have to investigate...
This could be done in any host with any plugin standard.

- There already is one Midi Controller I'm aware of that is polyphonic. Not too many plugins and hosts support it, not many keyboards have it, but Polyphonic Aftertouch is around for a while and could be used instantly by many hosts and plugins without VST 3.5. This would be the ideal candidate IMO for per note expression implementations bridging the gap until VST 3.5 is more common.

- And then there is the VST 3.5 Note Expression. I neither have Cubase nor one of the Steinberg Plugins so I can't try it out, but I guess it could become the new standard in that realm if Steinberg stops alienating developers?

Interesting times ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote:.......OMG - Welcome back Kotter - are you as old as I am to remember that? LOL.....

Cheers,

Tom
Yep....THAT old (and more) I are. :hihi:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

I just tried: it seems that T5 doesn't support Poly AT at all.
That's weird...
I have an AKAI MPD 18 which I set to Poly AT and it seems hardly any Host supports it, most translate it to channel AT...

Does anybody have the Steinberg Plugins AND T5 to see if it actually supports that kind of polyphonic Note Expression?

Cheers,

Tom

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”