Reason fanboy's thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Deleted, as this doesn't make much sense now either. :)
Last edited by chk071 on Fri May 10, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All done and edited... HUGS!

Whoops, do i have to edit my stuff too now? :hihi: Really nothing bad about what you said, i just think that one word was a bit exaggerated. :)

i had a message that i was going to alter it if you were ok with that, but decided to do it anyway. Very kind of you to do yours too. Thank you. :cool:

IncarnateX wrote:Hi guys
I just thought we really are in need of an alternative to those mean, vulgar, degrading and primitive Reasons threads that have been haunting KVR for a while now. This is a thread for Reasons lovers. Frankly I think there so much to love that I don' t know where to begin. So I will let you start the party and chime in when something comes to mind.

And of course this thread is not for Reason trashers. Please stay out of it. You know who you are :D
Irony, double-blinded with irony. I don't know where to start.

Er, I'm still after a copy of Reason 4.5. Pm yah.

he had every Reason to go.
"It dreamed itself along"

headquest wrote:for just £415 you could buy NI KOMPLETE 9, which includes 33 instruments/effects with over 12,000 sounds and 120GB of samples... all the instruments can be run standalone on stage, as plugins in any major music software host, and using Maschine/etc.
Does NI Komplete come with a fully feature DAW now? In that case I concur. However, if it doesn't, I think these kind of apple-orange comparisons seem a little desperate. Reason does not seem to be much more expensive than other DAWs.

headquest wrote:no video support, no scoring, no PDC, no freeze, still quite basic editing, limited compatibility with other studios, etc.
"Seek and you shall find"

Matthew 7:7

These minor issues will be taken care of in time. Don't worry.

Cheers :D

IncarnateX wrote:
headquest wrote:for just £415 you could buy NI KOMPLETE 9, which includes 33 instruments/effects with over 12,000 sounds and 120GB of samples... all the instruments can be run standalone on stage, as plugins in any major music software host, and using Maschine/etc.
Does NI Komplete come with a fully feature DAW now? In that case I concur. However, if it doesn't, I think these kind of apple-orange comparisons seem a little desperate. Reason does not seem to be much more expensive than other DAWs.
Uuh, I didn't compare Komplete to Reason. I compared it to what's available in the Re format. Plugins vs. Plugins in terms of what you can buy.

There's no doubt that Reason itself is fair value for money compared to other DAWs. But the question I asked is: what can you buy in the PH Re store for under £500, and does it compare with Komplete. The answer is of course that it doesn't come close to competing. Whatever people feel about the value to themselves of buying particular Re devices, there are no bundles that compare with Komplete in terms of quality, size, content and value for money. They just don't exist :shrug:

I've had Reason since version 4 and it was my first music software program(having transitioned from hardware,as it were) and so,it was a great way to get my feet wet...in terms of bang for your buck.
The only downside then,was that it did not prepare me for learning the ropes of the conventional DAW,were VST installtion knowledge was crucial to learn.

Reason v5 was a terrible idea,since you could not run the midi & audio simultaneously...so I waited for v6 and that's were Reason became my main DAW.

Though Reason 7 is the most useful DAW to date,I wouldn't necessarily consider it my "main" DAW,because now I trade off between Reason and my Presonus S1 host.

While Reason is a synth monster and it's extremely versatile,I was really annoyed that their sample players are so outdated,in that they don't possess the script capabilities to support as realistic sound libraries such as orchestral ensembles...like NI's Kontakt 4 and 5.
In fact,most of Kontakt's acoustic sound libraries are more authentic sounding than Reason.
However though,I have my gripes with NI as well,in that the installations can be a terrible hassle and they mainly offer expensive bundled material,in which you are forced to pay for categorical libraries you don't want,just to get the sound libraries you DO WANT.

For a while now,I've had ongoing issues with finding good string ensembles and drums.

As for drums,EZdrummer...in terms of cost,sound quality,GUI,selection and overall versatility...beats out Reason and every other drum module I have ever used/researched.

For me personally...programs like Reason offer a unique workflow and sound shaping characteristics...but it will never be an all-in-one solution and at this point,I don't think I will ever have any further reasons,to invest any more money into Reason.

What I like most about Reason,is the stability of an all inclusive,closed systems that provides rock solid stability and the effortless installation of the RE's and the quality of modules like Radical Keys.

What I like least of Reason(as someone who is more of a hands-on musician,rather than a tech-geek),is that although Reason is very simplistic for general use,it becomes way to complicated for me,in certain,more complex sound-designing situations where I need to layer modules together and apply effects to audio.
I mean...when you want to apply an effect to an midi instrument,it's a simple matter of clicking on "create effect",but this same action,does not work for audio & I never figured out the routing method.
I have to admit though,that I have been to lazy and preoccupied with my other DAW,to devote the necessary time to figuring out Reason fully and well...Reason has advanced to a point were I am intimidated by it in some ways and I think I may have to resort to buying the Ask Video upgrade tutorial,for me to keep up with the current version.

I don't consider myself a "fan-boy" of Reason...but rather,just someone who will always have a reason to continue using it and appreciate it for what it is.
For Drakan:The Ancients Gates fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em9XUSiE7f4

I adore reason 7 and that's that. as someone brought up, phase locked multi tracked drums would take the quantize all the way..

all i would want is

1) better vocal pitch shift quality in neptune
2) pdc
3) better RE performance
4) midi note cropping from left and splitting as well as multiple midi tracks in one piano roll
5) more arrange page vertical zoom (for audio mainly) and some basic audio editing functions
6) Multi track quantize
7) Key switch big sample libraries
8 - propellerheads to sort out our differences

and i'd LOVE to use that software. Really in 17 years since i have been doing this it's the only software i miss and PINE for besides logic.. i love them both so much it's almost impossible to pick a favourite!

Anyway reason 7 IS amazing and i can highly recommend it to anyone. Cheers

no matter what i use, i can never make beats the way i do in reason and Dr rex.. i just can't replicate it.. i have geist and lots more..

so right now even though i can't save i rewire it into logic, make my beats and then print them as audio :shrug:

Thanks props at least for allowing the demo rewire to be printed offline in logic. Amazingly generous! i only need to put up with one demo nag screen on startup, and i can even use it to audition my rex files in perfect sync with the logic project to find the right drum loops if needed for my song!

i'd be HAPPY to pay for the program if i was allowed, just for that feature. REMEMBER before anyone says anything as i really am only here in this topic to EDIFY the product, i wanted to keep the basic reason software to do my beats not to mention i still have over a thousand dollars of refills here..and am hoping one day i can own reason again, hence why i have kept the refills even though most devs have allowed me to sell them), but props demanded i sell it since they refunded the RE's. :cry: That was a surprise of course as that was told after but hey different topic.

But i will *always* love the *software* itself. I hope that's worth not being hated at least! :hihi:

no seriously, nothing to do with me, or props as people or their forum members, reason is a sensational piece of software for music CREATION. it's incredibly inspiring. I think i have found where it sits right for me.. Logic for my production and reason for the creation. Would be the ultimate marriage! :tu:

(oh and fwiw because i am still using it in a certain way i think the right thing to do is pay them if they decide they'll accept my money and just let bygones be that)

I will be back at Reason 9 or 10, when I had enough of Studio One and plug-ins. :hihi:

On a more serious note, I will always love this program to bits, but currently RE is not doing it for me and other stuff has become rather weird (Need to stop playback to import an audio file? meh...). The moment you realize how much workflow you gain by the whole rack concept and how much workflow you lose again because of something else.

I do not get. Reason 7 has been out for a long time now. Why do people go on babbling about Cubase, Live, Reaper, studio one, Bitwig ect. Why not just buy Reason, the best daw in the world? And plz do not say missing PDC, you can not hear the difference anyway. And the performance of RE is just a question of whether you need 578 of them at the same time and who does?
No VST support? Well who needs them with all the onboard stuff and the REs anyway? Who even needs the REs when you can stick to the combinators and Refills?

Is it simply to have something to complain about on internet forums that make people stay away from the absolutely most superior DAW ever made? :nutter: :roll: :dog: :bang: :shrug: :help:

I've been using Reason since 2.5, and quite honestly, though I've tried the others, I just have an affinity for the program. I "get it." Whether that makes me a fanboy or not, doesn't really bother me either way.

I'm also not the kind of person that needs to have 100 TB of samples and patches to make music. I'm not knocking those that go for the "bigger is better" approach. I just prefer to work within a limited framework, and perhaps that's why Reason appeals to me (above and beyond what others have stated here).

Anyhow, if you're interested in learning a little more about the inner workings of Reason, I would invite you to visit my site at http://www.reason101.net where I have several tutorials, both from Basic to advanced levels. Would love the company.

All my best, and happy music-making in whatever DAW you use.

Rob

IncarnateX wrote:And plz do not say missing PDC, you can not hear the difference anyway.
Not true. The difference can be quite noticeable, especially with automation.

Well I have been using Reason since v1 and have v7 now. It is a fantastic workstation indeed. I would hardly call it the "best" DAW. That is in the hands of us as individuals to determine for ourselves and our workflow.

I LOVE the workflow in Reason. However, I use it alongside Cubase (7.5). Rewire is really the strong point. There are many workflow things I do within Reason that works well with how I use it, and the same goes for Cubase. And on most of my projects I really can't have one without the other.

As somewhat of a fanboy (like I said, since v1) I still am taken aback by the forum going down over there. That is a big deal. It would be different if they had contacted KVR and requested a temporary or even permanent subforum here...that would at least have given many of us a new home for Reason. But instead they just push us (the fan and user base) off.

Even with all of their issues, Steinberg doesn't go that far.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”