Studio One 3?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

Any rumors on a Studio One 3? and.. rumored.. forthcoming features?

or is it too early?

I think it's way to early for a version 3.

For what it's worth, I have been keeping an eye on the upgrade pricing from Pro v.1 to Pro v.2, and I am fairly sure it recently dropped by $50. It is $99 now, but I could swear just a few weeks ago it was $149.

Not saying it means anything at all, but you never know. I just want them to fix the track-sorting issue, and then it would be my dream DAW...

memyselfandus wrote:Any rumors on a Studio One 3? and.. rumored.. forthcoming features?

or is it too early?
Maybe 2014 :hihi:

Yeah I don't want a paid upgrade before a few more things are added. I want a 2.5 release with better routing, some more midi functionality. Being able to put an arpeggiator etc. before a vsti would be wonderful. I do wonder what would be added/changed with a 3.0 release though.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:Yeah I don't want a paid upgrade before a few more things are added. I want a 2.5 release with better routing, some more midi functionality. Being able to put an arpeggiator etc. before a vsti would be wonderful. I do wonder what would be added/changed with a 3.0 release though.
Cubase only got better routing and instrument tracks which allowed you the ability to insert things like midi intruments on tracks at around version 4. The program had been around for around 10 yrs by then. I think studio one is doing ok, but I do also wish for better routing.
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man

There's an undocumented trick with S1 where you can insert midi instruments directly onto audio tracks (or audio clip with Event FX), which might help in some of these cases.

1. Save an EQ preset (an audio plug) or something into a empty browser folder.
2. Save an instrument preset into the same folder.

Now rename them and make sure that the audio plug is listed first alphabetically. When you drag them both into arrange it should put both things, the audio plug and the instrument, onto an audio track.

Now remove the audio plug and drag that channel to the browser to save the preset. That preset, when you drag it in to use it, will load your instrument directly onto an audio track, like Cubase's instrument tracks, only works with stereo outputs.

Won't solve many of those problems but something to think about anyway.

kev2525 wrote:
braj wrote:Yeah I don't want a paid upgrade before a few more things are added. I want a 2.5 release with better routing, some more midi functionality. Being able to put an arpeggiator etc. before a vsti would be wonderful. I do wonder what would be added/changed with a 3.0 release though.
Cubase only got better routing and instrument tracks which allowed you the ability to insert things like midi intruments on tracks at around version 4. The program had been around for around 10 yrs by then. I think studio one is doing ok, but I do also wish for better routing.
But that was 10 or more years ago, surely developers can build on the good ideas of others, no? It is kind of like saying freeze didn't come along until (insert proper year here) so it can wait for V4 too :shrug: But wait and see what happens, personally I'd like to see some sort of 'aggregate device' system where you can make an input device that has the arp, key transposer or chorder, whatever it is, bundled as a dedicated input so you don't need to insert as a separate effect, and can just click a button to enable it. That would be cool. Some built-in effects l;ike this to give very stable, tight integration would be best. Imagine something like Catanya that worked closely with the groove system in Studio One? And 'fold tracks' like Ableton, I really would like those please!
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

LawrenceF wrote:There's an undocumented trick with S1 where you can insert midi instruments directly onto audio tracks (or audio clip with Event FX), which might help in some of these cases.

Now rename them and make sure that the audio plug is listed first alphabetically. When you drag them both into arrange it should put both things, the audio plug and the instrument, onto an audio track.

Now remove the audio plug and drag that channel to the browser to save the preset. That preset, when you drag it in to use it, will load your instrument directly onto an audio track, like Cubase's instrument tracks, only works with stereo outputs.

I'll have to try that out, a little convoluted but if you just need to set up once maybe it will work. Using a plugin chainer like MUX works too but that costs something more and is convoluted in its own way if this is all you need it for.

LawrenceF wrote:There's an undocumented trick with S1 where you can insert midi instruments directly onto audio tracks (or audio clip with Event FX), which might help in some of these cases.

Thank's a bunch LawrenceF, I finally got Revalver to work with this method, You made my day there my friend. :hail: :hail: :hail: :tu:

I only care about one thing.......

CPU optimization. Yes, confirmed as NOT being there in the current status! (by a dev!)

hibidy wrote:I only care about one thing.......

CPU optimization. Yes, confirmed as NOT being there in the current status! (by a dev!)
I hear ya Hibidy. Anyway, no clue about 3.x or whatever but they'll (apparently) be talking about the future of it all next Friday at the yearly gathering.

http://presonusphere.presonus.com/
Studio One 2 and Beyond
Go behind the scenes with the Studio One 2 team in an interactive discussion about the future of Studio One.

Lead developers Wolfgang Kundrus and Matthias Juwan, as well as software gurus Scott Harrell and Jonathan Hillman, will be on hand to reveal some new exciting stuff…but the main focus will be on fielding questions and gathering your invaluable feedback.
No clue what "exciting new stuff" means but I guess we'll all hear about it next week. Seems like more than a few users from the forum are traveling there.

I personally think the bread and butter functionality of S1 is great. All that I would add is something like the Ableton racks or Reason Combinator feature, where you could stack instruments and fx from various 3rd party vendors, create a sound with that and save that entire rack off as one preset.

Aside from that, Studio One REALLY needs to concentrate on the bundled instruments. The FX are pretty respectable, but the instruments are WEAK...

They need a versatile synth or two that's so good, they could sell it separately, to users of other DAW's, like Image Line does.

A real sonic beast that's included with S1 or available to S1 owners at a nominal charge. Something as good as Massive, Zebra, FM8 or many of Image Line synths.

I personally dont want them to focus on their own instruments, but to work on routing and the midi editor. Give more powerful features there, l would say the Combinator paradigm covers routing. I'd personally would love custom scales with a snap to scale midi feature. And ability to 'fold tracks' like in Live.

Anyhow I don't really think Presonus is going to release a top-shelf native instrument but thats ok with me, core sequencer functionality is way more important to me, leverage the Melodyne integration etc. and keep building better and better workflow.

Yeah, I don't care about new instruments either. I actually do use the ones in there but I don't care if they make better instruments or not, I have good third party samplers already.

Having said that, it seems from the general descriptions of the dev team that one of them is pretty much dedicated to that thing, it's FX and Instruments, so you never really know what he may or may not be working on.

At any rate, I have both Kontakt and Mach 5 (+ some hardware midi modules) so I'm pretty well covered for my general use cases.

Anyway, here's something I did in S1 Free, all Presence. The idea of these experiments with S1 Free is to have enough faith in Presence to say to a somewhat "financially challenged" potentially client, "Go ahead and fully produce your R&B midi track in S1 Free and send me the song file and later I'll replace many of the sounds with better sampler patches before we track vocals or whatever."

Contextually speaking... it certainly has it's uses.

http://theaudiocave.com/mixes/afterthefall.mp3

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”