Linux...anybody using it?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pc999 wrote:DAMN MICROSOFT

Got a new upgrade for my old PC and the new "secure boot" for W8 ready motherboards is keeping me from doing a dual boot!!!
Does your new motherboard have an early boot menu keypress option?
Can its uefi "bios" be set to boot from CD-DvD?
Bios may allow to choose legacy, rather than uefi,
but I think all the installed OS need to abide the choice,
so cloning a bundled OS first, may be lucky. Or
pay for standalone license, and install the windows in legacy mode,
then a linux.

Remastering your linux can let it run
off usb-sticks, and by using a .sqfs file instead of an iso,
you can bypass the iso size limits, to include large sample
and vst collections in the remaster. Several remastering apps/scripts/commands
exist, used according to distro.

uefi install Details:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/206950/1 ... ot-install

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI this helps in some cases
Cheers

Thanks, I am getting some help here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2100093

Lots of good info.

But I am considering use it from a USB pen drive for the time being, although very impratical as in this mb I would need to go to the UEFI a lot of times!

BTW I have a dual boot system now!

So which linux got the honour? :hyper:

So many distros, so little time. :hihi:

The giant OS are ounumbered 500 to 1,like escaped Tribbles attacking
the ankles of Hercules :-o

I would love to use Linux. But when are the big boys (Steinberg, Ableton, Logic(no chance!), Presonus and Cakewalk) going to support it?

"Big" is relative. Music software has a tiny, tiny market. If you look at the percentage of desktops that run Cubase, there's probably a couple of zeros after the decimal point. Now, how much development cost is involved in porting to Linux? Zero dollars? More? If it's more, then you need to sell enough copies to cover those costs, plus some, to make it worth the effort. Next, how much bigger will you make your market by supporting Linux? Compare the total number of desktops in use with those not using Windows or MacOSX. Is some tiny fraction of the remainder going to cover your effort?

Pljones, I know but still, They could tweak a complete Linux dist. And optimisme it for certain hardware etc. It could be magic.

If Bitwig ever gets released and has a descent soft synth , sampler , drum racks , eq , compressor , limiter , and ir reverb and with the right sound card , system setup , and know how to use Jack , you might end up with everything you need for a un stop able Linux DAW . For FOSS stuff Ardour , with Hydrogen , Specimen , Zynadd and many more are a good combo too .

jkworks wrote:Pljones, I know but still, They could tweak a complete Linux dist. And optimisme it for certain hardware etc. It could be magic.
Reaper works magic enough in wine, I would rather see Reaper improved,
and let the wine coders keep smoothing out any bumps, rather than
$$$ spent porting Reaper/others to linux. There is a linux Reaper installer now,
and rumors of porting.

Studio 1337 is a great linux recording setup, to use with Reaper, pre-configured,
and very compatible/magical. The Peavey Musebox, is a linux based workstation,
with a nice vst bundle. I'm saving up. Video link in this topic:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5068940

Cheers

todd sweetland wrote:If Bitwig ever gets released and has a descent soft synth , sampler , drum racks , eq , compressor , limiter , and ir reverb and with the right sound card , system setup , and know how to use Jack , you might end up with everything you need for a un stop able Linux DAW . For FOSS stuff Ardour , with Hydrogen , Specimen , Zynadd and many more are a good combo too .
Given who is doing the intruments and fx they are probably quite good!

todd sweetland wrote:If Bitwig ever gets released and has a descent soft synth , sampler , drum racks , eq , compressor , limiter , and ir reverb and with the right sound card , system setup , and know how to use Jack , you might end up with everything you need for a un stop able Linux DAW . For FOSS stuff Ardour , with Hydrogen , Specimen , Zynadd and many more are a good combo too .
Among the 'many more', throw in the new Hexter/sysex-universe, Calf Monosynth, Whysynth, Phasex, and exotic use of the available fx,
there is a huge sonic mine to dig in. 8)
Cheers.

glokraw wrote:... throw in the new Hexter/sysex-universe
"Universe" is right. I've not only resuscitated my custom banks from my TX802, I've also discovered a monstrous huge number of usable patches for the DX/TX that fit right into Hexter. Add multiple instantiation via the Ghostess host and you have the least expensive - and arguably the most powerful - virtual TX816 the world has ever known.
Whysynth

Another awsome synth from Sean Bolton. I'll do a review here soon. Again, with Ghostess it's just incredible. And it "interprets" K4 patches, if you need more sonic variety.
Phasex
Among its other new features, the latest release is now multitimbral, but takes a heavy toll on the CPU. Still, this is one unique synth, and I can claim only very limited knowledge of it. Ken Restivo's done a lot of work with earlier versions, he got some beautiful sounds from it.
exotic use of the available fx
The glokraw Grail. :)

Thanks to JACK we can arrive at connectivity heaven in record time. And thanks to the new session managers we can save and recall our modular sessions with one or two clicks of the mouse. Sweet.

IMO, now the issue is not whether anyone can make music with Linux - the parts are pretty much all there, with some notable exceptions - but it's whether any particular individual can make any good music with it. And that of course has more to do with the capabilities of the individual rather than those of the gear, as always.

Best,

dp

pc999 wrote:
Given who is doing the intruments and fx they are probably quite good!
Who is? :-o
:hug:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”