Linux...anybody using it?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

StudioDave wrote:Hey jeffh,
Yo! (and apologies for the 1+ month of latency, I missed your post the last time around)
StudioDave wrote:I finally got some time to build/test the latest git sources. Just wanted to drop a note to say the Way_V presets are sweet. The JPad, Alien Voice, and Soft Pluck are beautiful.
Glad you like them... it's not a huge selection, but I think it showcases the range of sound well enough...

I think the latest/greatest release will probably interest you and a lot of other people... Audio sequencing is no longer getting the red-headed-step-child treatment, it's pretty gosh-darned robust now, click-n-drag handles for everything and so on...

I also implemented high quality pitch/time independent time-stretching using Rubberband. It does everything in uber-quality mode, offline, then opens the rendered version. I was going to include Paulstretch in this release too for that who-in-the-hell-would-stretch-something-to-100x kind of stretching, but after testing I came to the conclusion that I'll have to fork it first and fix some of the reliability issues... I'll get it eventually... and I keep meaning to add a vocoder, I've been learning the ways of Dubstep for the past month or two...

PS: Audio items get copied by selecting then CTRL+click dragging, and you can split them with SHIFT+click (I really should document that somewhere)

jeffh wrote: Yo! (and apologies for the 1+ month of latency, I missed your post the last time around)
No problem, I figured/hoped you were toiling away at the next PyDAW. Great news re: improvements, I'll check it out today.

Disk crashed on my x64 box, a good reason to update the whole machine, so the coming week will see the rebuild of BigBlack. Love those Antec Sonata cases ! :)

Short note for now, got work to finish before I can dive into PyDAW. Thanks for the update, and best regards to ya.

dp

Hey Dave, maybe go with four matching 64 gig SSDs, two with rsysnc, for the OS
and it's doomsday twin, and the third as
the recording destination, and the fourth as it's backup. $200 buys
a fair sized hunk of peaceful dreams, no moving parts, pot-metal
bearing casings, weak alloy castings, and perhaps a little speed :-o
But you may not be able to heat your studio with Big Black anymore,
unless you splurge for a NASA certified gamers video card. Or just
go for the dream projector...imagine your new clients face when they
see wall of the studio is your DAW screen...
(or imagine the look on your wifes face :wink: :hihi: )

jeffh wrote:[
Yo! (and apologies for the 1+ month of latency, I missed your post the last time around)

Audio sequencing is no longer getting the red-headed-step-child treatment, it's pretty gosh-darned robust now, click-n-drag handles for everything and so on...

I also implemented high quality pitch/time independent time-stretching using Rubberband. It does everything in uber-quality mode, offline, then opens the rendered version.
That's a nice tool for us pseudo musicians, who finally manage a decent take,
and then the critics point out several places where 'swing' was actually just
a flub, and you need an extra .5 seconds of tone, or longer reverb tail.
Hope the latency allows for some views of the sky and trees, summer is upon us,
even if over-done a bit in Vegas and the Mojave 8)

StudioDave wrote:No problem, I figured/hoped you were toiling away at the next PyDAW.
I have been, the recent flurry of work was actually done because it will be shared with VaporwareDAW(tm)(not Bitwig, the one I'm writing :D). Not that I had any plans of abandoning PyDAW or anything like that, it will continue receiving plenty of love. I think the next logical step is live-performance features, now that audio, MIDI and plugins have all pretty much hit the "good enough" stage... and I will eventually make a PyDAWv4 to add the last few things that I can't add without breaking project compatibility.

PyDAW-OS has also gotten pretty good, for those of you without functional hard-drives :D If you follow the instructions on the download page for creating the live USB flash drive, PyDAW-OS will persist it's settings for both PyDAW and Mixxx DJing software between sessions to the flash drive(without resorting to those awful "persistence files" that slow things to a crawl).

Hell, I just bought a 32GB flash drive at Walmart for $16, it holds PyDAW-OS, 10GB+ of samples, and about 6GB of tunes to DJ with plenty of room to spare. Everybody is always mad-hella-impressed whenever I yank it off my keychain demonstrate it on-the-fly, on their PC.

jeffh wrote:PyDAW-OS will persist it's settings for both PyDAW and Mixxx DJing software between sessions to the flash drive(without resorting to those awful "persistence files" that slow things to a crawl).

Everybody is always mad-hella-impressed whenever I yank it off my keychain demonstrate it on-the-fly, on their PC.
KeychainD AWe? :shock: Thats not the microsoft way :-o

In your spare time, a bullet-proof collaboration setup,
could allow for a new twist on performances at the grammies,
or special guests routinely arriving at concert video backdrops.

Even kvr chums would examine the potential. Could have some great
preset design duels with live voting, everything but the
old fruit and veggie toss 8)

Hope someday there will be a mini version of PyDAW-OS around 500 meg mark.
Cheers

glokraw wrote: KeychainD AWe? :shock: Thats not the microsoft way :-o

In your spare time, a bullet-proof collaboration setup,
could allow for a new twist on performances at the grammies,
or special guests routinely arriving at concert video backdrops.

Even kvr chums would examine the potential. Could have some great
preset design duels with live voting, everything but the
old fruit and veggie toss 8)
It's not even the Linux way ;)

IMHO, the other live music distros still fall well short of being usable for real work without installing them to your hard-drive. Of course, using a "persistence file" or just doing a straight OS install to a flash drive, while technically possible, doesn't really work so well in practice, nor do flash drives tend to last long when being written to so often. PyDAW-OS runs in RAM, and only persists your music-specific settings to the flash drive (provide you created a partition with the label "pydaw_data"), so all of the flexibility and power of a live Linux OS, with none of the drawbacks.

If you drop a whopping $50 on a nice 64GB, USB3 ~100MB/s-R+W flash drive, you'd be hard-pressed to even tell that it was running off a flash drive, considering that even a crappy $10 flash drive is still pretty responsive.
glokraw wrote: Hope someday there will be a mini version of PyDAW-OS around 500 meg mark.
Cheers
Eh, I'm not really sure where the space could be saved. It's only 850MB today, which is tiny compared to the other music distros(of course it comes with less software, but it's only meant to cover the EDM DJ/producer use case, and I think it does pretty well). I don't really care for the nano-distros like Puppy, DSL, TinyCore, etc... I think Ubuntu is the best base, for the reasons of it's the most likely to work on any PC.

jeffh wrote: It's not even the Linux way ;)

PyDAW-OS runs in RAM, and only persists your music-specific settings to the flash drive (provide you created a partition with the label "pydaw_data"), so all of the flexibility and power of a live Linux OS, with none of the drawbacks.

Eh, I'm not really sure where the space could be saved. It's only 850MB today

I don't really care for the nano-distros like Puppy,

I think Ubuntu is the best base, for the reasons of it's the most likely to work on any PC.
Good points, and a clever way to handle saved settings. There may be some space
to be saved, as Bodhi ubuntu remake iso is about 430 meg, but maybe not worth
the DAW coding hours trying to make the wheel slightly rounder,
and dependencies pile on fast.
Ableton installer alone, was 950 meg a few years back :shock:
(and it's dependencies are a freakin' nightmare :-o :wink: )

I didn't like Puppy linux at first, but
that was mainly the cluttered default screens that some have,
and a small learning curve about using the resizable .2fs files for storage.
Which I grew to love, as the number of usefull apps and samples
keeps growing.
Cheers

Oh noez, the Linux thread fell to page 3, time to bump this mother* :D

For fans of time-stretching/pitch-shifting, the version of PyDAW I just uploaded now offers Rubberband, SBSMS and Paulstretch algorithms, and a fairly epic number of ways to use it... Even, (are you ready for this?) the option to set the start pitch/rate different than the end pitch/rate...

...and... get this: It's all done offline in uber-quality mode, so in exchange for having to wait a few seconds after you stretch it, you get top-notch sound quality with almost no CPU usage even for many, many items...

There have also been quite a few other refinements, and there will be even more work on audio items in the coming weeks... Then whenever the other DAW I'm working on hits the internet, it will look an awful lot like the current PyDAW audio sequencing, but in a conventional DAW format with conventional features (and MIDI items just like the current audio items, but with notes drawn on them instead of waveforms).

Then, some time before, during or after the PyDAWv4 development cycle, I plan to implement a live performance mode and Monome controller support... and because my DAW already looks like a big giant grid, it will be soooooooo much better than any other DAW's Monome support :D

Enjoy.

Thanks for the update, I will try soon.

There is a new release of Musix (v3 c2): http://musixdistro.wordpress.com/2013/1 ... -released/

One of the best linux distros for music making IMO :)

Renoise works well in GNU/Linux, however vst support isn't the best.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”