Upcoming Studio One 2.5 release

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rockstar_not wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:You also can grab the artist version for like 15$ during various sales throughout the year. So if you do that, plus wait for a half off sale on upgrades to other versions, you can basically buy the producer version for 65-70$ or so
Now that is good to know - I didn't know they blew it out for that price. That seems fair.

-Scott
Yea I havent seen it recently, but they usually do one during NAMM each year, usually pricing it the same as the year, I grabbed it in 2012 for 20.12$. Audiomidi used to sell it for 15$ from time to time as well but I dont remember the last time. So then if you wait for their bi-yearly upgrade specials then you can upgrade to producer or pro for half price, so 50$/150$, but they are usually only for one day so you gotta pay attention

rockstar_not wrote: Let me ask you a question: How much cash had you spent on plugins before you bought S1 Producer or Professional?
Not many, but the ones I did have weren't cheap, like Altiverb. But not too many years before that I had used Cubase and I owned absolutely no 3rd party plugs at all. For a very, very, long time. I used hardware midi modules and I tracked live players and mixed on my d8b, which had it's own audio plugs already.

I could have dropped in something like Artist to replace my HD24 when I ran that, since iArtist would let me run 32 discreet channels to my board, and not only would I have not missed a step, I'd have been better off.

Again, we too often make assumptions and emphatic statements based on a singular reality... our reality... and apply it to everyone else as if we always belong to the majority truth. You see it in DAWs, religion, politics, and frankly everywhere else.

At some point it becomes pointless argument about, as you say, guesses.

Thanks man.

Studio One Artist is worth the regular price just for the excellent timestretching quality + transient detection and audio quantize. And there's even more, quite a lot of sounds, some fx's, samplers, synth

I jumped onboard like ezelkow1 said - during NAMM for $20, then when 2.0 came out I bought the update (and upgraded to Producer version at the same time) for $99, so I consider this one of the best deals I made on software.

You want to see ridiculous pricing? go to effects subforum and check iZotope Insight.

Anyway, seems to me that we all just took the bait of yet another troll.

Back on topic - so it seems we're like 3 weeks from 2.5 update, wish it was because they were working on polishing GUI :D

rockstar_not wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:So now you're the spokesperson for every other DAW buyer on the planet? :hihi:
Please - I didn't claim that. Your list of very unique multi-track features IS unprecedented for $99 software. The question is whether they matter to that buyer.
Then it's robbery, no?

rockstar_not wrote:Someone buying a $200 piece of DAW software likely already has a couple hundred invested in plugins. The $100 extra over the artist lets them do that and lets them do direct .mp3 import/export. Seems heavy-handed and laughable - like you indicated with the smiley face.
Just for the record. MP3 is not free.

Presonus, like every software company, has to pay license fees to the mp3 patent owners if they want to include support for mp3 encoding in a product. And they have to pay for every single license, regardless if it was sold or given away for free. And this fee is not cheap.

That's why there is no mp3 support in the entry level version of S1, Cubase etc. It just would not pay off.

Many of the other cheaper/free audio programs support mp3 but you usually have to manually inject a lame_enc.dll into the program directory or something like that. That's also because of the patent situation.

Benutzername wrote:
Many of the other cheaper/free audio programs support mp3 but you usually have to manually inject a lame_enc.dll into the program directory or something like that. That's also because of the patent situation.
Granted that use of the mp3 spec is supposed to pay eventually to Frauenhofer Institute, if I'm not mistaken. If I remember correctly, that's the entity that truly is supposed to get license fees or whatnot for use of .mp3.

I guess to me, I'll take the $100 if it means all that I have to do is point to where the codec lives on my hard drive. If it's worth even $25 to somebody for a program to do that for them, then I guess it's a fair trade to that person. I think it's a better value to simply point to a directory. That takes me all of maybe 2 minutes; 10 minutes if I have to go download lame from somewhere, install it, and then point to it.

If the specials that are run for $15-20 for Artist, then another $50 or so for Producer come to fruition for me, then my complaint about the lack of plugin support for the $100 Artist wanes significantly.

I may join the ranks here if I can find that deal combination. I hope you all get clip automation before that. One of the tasks I do now and then is to edit very long spoken voice work (reduce an hour speech down to 30 minutes). To make that work, clip automation for volume, auto cross fading between clips, etc. is a must. In that hour of source material, there might be 50 or more decisions on what pregnant pauses to remove, coughs, repeated statements, etc. It took about an hour and a half to do those edits. Without crossfading, it would have probably doubled that edit time.

Maybe S1 has auto-cross fading - drag the front end of a clip over the tail end of the previous clip and auto fade it with 1 click?

I just remember that at a Sweetwater ProTools workshop, they made a really big deal about this 6-7 years or so ago, and here the humble 'entry-level' DAW I was using at the time had it built in.

Best wishes - I will bow out of this thread that again is likely full of existing users and purchasers.

Meanwhile, I'll be keeping an eye out for that NAMM special...

I don't know if you have artist yet, but I think there's a 50% discount on all Studio one flavours today.... And yes once you realise that the basic version is often available very cheaply there pricing structure makes a lot more sense doesn't it? I assumed that anyone on kvr would have known about this, and I think most of us reading your initial posts made the same assumption I did... :wink:

rockstar_not wrote:Maybe S1 has auto-cross fading - drag the front end of a clip over the tail end of the previous clip and auto fade it with 1 click?
"X"

That's the key for one-click cross fades.

When you are comping the cross fades are automatic.

Maybe you should look also for audio editors. And for volume automation take a look at the new Pro Tools system, it's great. In S1 you can adjust the volume per clip (first part of the video). In Pro Tools you can also draw a line (second part):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9VEK3LcDZg

standalone wrote:
rockstar_not wrote:Maybe S1 has auto-cross fading - drag the front end of a clip over the tail end of the previous clip and auto fade it with 1 click?
"X"

That's the key for one-click cross fades.

When you are comping the cross fades are automatic.

Maybe you should look also for audio editors. And for volume automation take a look at the new Pro Tools system, it's great. In S1 you can adjust the volume per clip (first part of the video). In Pro Tools you can also draw a line (second part):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9VEK3LcDZg
Good to know the 'X' is there. Huge time saver for comping anything.

BTW, entire clip automation, including gain, pan, any plugin or plugin chain, with full access to any of the automation parameters of the plugins in that chain, with clip-specific automation, on the clip, etc. has been available in my 'entry level' DAW since about 2003 or so. The video above from PT is kind of a yawn as a result.

The only reason I'm looking elsewhere for my next DAW partner is my entry level DAW has been abandonware since about 2008 (some of you here now know which one it is) - but still works in Win7 in administrator mode. In fact, way back in 2005 I entered a KVR audio monthly song competition where I was basically playing with clip-based automation as an experiment. Here's the story on the song and in the page for the song is a link to the .mp3 file. I don't think I did that well that month with the placement- normally I'm slightly north of the middle with a couple of winners over the years, but I think that month I was significantly near the bottom! Again, it was mostly an experiment as I was feeling out what could be done with clip based automation. All of the strange effects on the vocals are clip based processing with some automation of the effects done just for kicks.
Experiment in clip based gain and effect automation circa 2005

dredd i knight wrote:I don't know if you have artist yet, but I think there's a 50% discount on all Studio one flavours today.... And yes once you realise that the basic version is often available very cheaply there pricing structure makes a lot more sense doesn't it? I assumed that anyone on kvr would have known about this, and I think most of us reading your initial posts made the same assumption I did... :wink:
Where do you see that? On the website for cart I see $149 for producer and $399 for professional. Halloween they did have Producer for $99 and professional for $199. Best to hold out for the bigger sales. For the halloween promotion I thought I'd give it a go and buy it just to mess around with, but they have some strange third party that processes sales that for whatever reason wouldn't approve me. Even after trying to pay with three different methods- a direct bank transfer, american express and paypal. I suspected because all of them were my American accounts and I live primarily in Mexico- perhaps they looked at my IP address. In anycase I found it pretty ridiculous. I told customer support at Presonus about what a crappy third party company they use for payment. To their credit they said they would give me the sales price and could skip the other company and let me pay directly through them, but at that point the impulse buy and frustration had already gone too far for me. So, even though I'm curious about S1 I'll be with Cubase for awhile longer. I buy stuff with those accounts all the time from different countries. Really dumb.

Less daw chatter, more music making. :hihi:

Here's a rough mix of some mp3 vocal and guitar stems from Admiral Bob. I only programmed the sampled bass (JBass) and the drum tracks (AD). I used his midi file for the piano instead of the mp3 stem (Mach 5 FGrand). MP3 always means lower quality but, still fun.

I always struggle with the relative "haze" over MP3 vocal stems.

The Wait

Mixed in S1 (of course, with this being an S1 thread).

Regarding Studio One and resource use, I really do feel changing audio interfaces has helped my performance, I'm tracking on an old laptop that I had sworn off using for Studio One, but with a new interface it really seems reasonable as long as I don't load up Diva :) I'm pretty stoked about it, and I'd suggest anyone having issues try switching out the audio interface and see if anything improves, it is the case for me. Not an incredible difference, but definitely noticeable and helpful.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:Regarding Studio One and resource use, I really do feel changing audio interfaces has helped my performance, I'm tracking on an old laptop that I had sworn off using for Studio One, but with a new interface it really seems reasonable as long as I don't load up Diva :) I'm pretty stoked about it, and I'd suggest anyone having issues try switching out the audio interface and see if anything improves, it is the case for me. Not an incredible difference, but definitely noticeable and helpful.
Good to hear things are working for you Braj, hopefully will work a lot better after the first week of December(as per a Presonus staff leak) when 2.5 will be in our hands. :wheee:

Still no official announcement regarding 2.5 beyond that video, correct? Just making sure I'm not missing anything. I have been appreciating the simplicity of Studio One lately but am begging for just a bit more complexity in the midi department.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:Still no official announcement regarding 2.5 beyond that video, correct? Just making sure I'm not missing anything. I have been appreciating the simplicity of Studio One lately but am begging for just a bit more complexity in the midi department.
What are you looking for feature wise? I've found that some of the extensions that can be installed add some cool functionality.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”