Ableton Live 9 announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rod_zero wrote:
dsan@mail.com wrote:
I can understand Ableton wanting to move into the current what with 64 bit et al, but I would think too they would want to be supportive of their customers as they want their customers to be supportive of them.
ABleton is providing both version if you need them, I don't see why they have to provide the bridge. The support rests on the plug in developer, not the DAW developer.
Yes, I realize this, thanks. And not saying the onus lies on the DAW developer, in the case of plug-ins. Just saying it would be nice if the DAW DID support what I have and in a convenient way.

Happy musiking!
dsan

dsan@mail.com wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
I like the new midi tools... especially the brackets

I also like the curves in automation...

and even though it is a small thing, I quite like the track templates.

Damnit, I cannot go back to 8!
pdxindy, can you explain the brackets and track templates? 'specially, what are the brackets all about?

Thanks!

Happy musiking!
dsan

Track templates: If you have a synth or effects chain you frequently use you can define it as the default track template (1 midi track and one audio track). Say basically every track you use certain effects, make a track with those effect and define it as the audio track template. Then every time you add an audio track it will have those effects. Simple thing, but I quite like it.

The brackets are also simple... select some midi notes and at the top of the midi editor are the brackets. You can grab the left or right edge and scale the notes. Again, not a big thing, but useful for me cause I often record melodies solo and without a metronome cause it feels freer... but then the timing is not quite to the project so now it is easy to scale selected notes a bit to fit exactly...

There are a number of small things like this that I don't want to do without. I am not launching 8 at all anymore...

Anyone else noticed that there's a whole bunch of presets missing from Electric in the beta?

pdxindy wrote: Track templates: If you have a synth or effects chain you frequently use you can define it as the default track template (1 midi track and one audio track). Say basically every track you use certain effects, make a track with those effect and define it as the audio track template. Then every time you add an audio track it will have those effects. Simple thing, but I quite like it.

The brackets are also simple... select some midi notes and at the top of the midi editor are the brackets. You can grab the left or right edge and scale the notes. Again, not a big thing, but useful for me cause I often record melodies solo and without a metronome cause it feels freer... but then the timing is not quite to the project so now it is easy to scale selected notes a bit to fit exactly...

There are a number of small things like this that I don't want to do without. I am not launching 8 at all anymore...
Thanks for the explanation! I thought the templates would be as you described but the brackets had me stumped.

I can see potential usefullness already for the brackets in my work flow.

Thanks again!

Happy musiking!
dsan

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
pc999 wrote:Just by curiosity.

Does the Audio t Midi thing works on realtime, ie, can I play live a guitar transformed into a synth?
No it's not real-time. For real-time guitar to midi, check out Midi Guitar:
http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/Wi ... index.html
Thanks.

aMUSEd wrote:Anyone else noticed that there's a whole bunch of presets missing from Electric in the beta?
Yep.

I have Ableton Intro Live - v8. I bought it primarily for creating source material as Cubase is my primary DAW. (Supposedly it also works via Rewire in Cubase but I never had enough CPU to hardly run Live until I updated my PC to a 64 bit machine).

My question: What is the policy for updating from Intro Live 8 to Intro Live 9? I don't need full version. I really just want a 64 bit version of Intro 8.

Kevin63101 wrote:I have Ableton Intro Live - v8. I bought it primarily for creating source material as Cubase is my primary DAW. (Supposedly it also works via Rewire in Cubase but I never had enough CPU to hardly run Live until I updated my PC to a 64 bit machine).

My question: What is the policy for updating from Intro Live 8 to Intro Live 9? I don't need full version. I really just want a 64 bit version of Intro 8.
When I go in to my account, I can see there is an upgrade option for Live 9 Intro that's greyed out because I can only upgrade to Full or Suite from my licence (which is for Suite). However, there is an option for Intro so I assume that if you register the copy with Ableton and go to your account you should see a price.

But Live 8 runs 64bit or 32bit already doesn't it? Or is it not the case for the intro version?

Gamma-UT wrote:When I go in to my account, I can see there is an upgrade option for Live 9 Intro that's greyed out because I can only upgrade to Full or Suite from my licence (which is for Suite). However, there is an option for Intro so I assume that if you register the copy with Ableton and go to your account you should see a price.

But Live 8 runs 64bit or 32bit already doesn't it? Or is it not the case for the intro version?
I saw the grayed out area. I didn't hear about a 64 bit version of Intro 8 -- maybe there's one I'm not aware of. I can't see that many changes being made from Intro 8 to Intro 9, but I don't want to have to buy another copy of Intro at full price -- just wanting 64 bit.

Quite honestly it was next to useless in my old XP machine (not enough CPU) and I was waiting for new release before installing on my new Win 7 64 bit PC.

I'm just checking before pre-release sale ends -- if that made a difference. I just don't see anything pertaining to Intro 8 upgrade to Intro 9.

Live 8.4 supports 64bit but it's still in beta - looks like the full version won't be ready before Live 9 is released.

So I still couldn't entirely reconcile myself to the upgrade price even for Suite 8 -> Live 9 and decided to investigate Ableton's pricing a bit further.

What I found was, I think, something I had been aware of before but had then forgotten about since the months after 9 was first announced. The upgrade path from Live 8 -> Suite 8 with a free upgrade to Suite 9 is apparently 179 usd. So, people who own Live 8 get an upgrade to 9 for 70 usd LESS than the Suite owners who paid around 350 usd more for their product to begin with.

This is beyond retarded. Fanboy or not, I don't understand how anyone can justify these prices. Ableton's logic must have been something like this, "Well, you know, they did give us more money to begin, which means they probably have more money to spare than Live owners. So, let's charge them more, they probably won't even notice". It also makes me slightly concerned about Ableton's internal processes, management and decision-making.

Honestly, I am happy for Live 8 owners and don't want to take the great deal away from them, but this is just pure BS for Suite owners on every level. I'm not speaking for everyone, but I am speaking the unbiased, objective truth here, so see it if you want, or don't.

Others have pointed out, and rightly so, that if I or anyone else doesnt want to upgrade, then we shouldn't or don't have to. I won't, and my suite license is going up for sale in the marketplace real soon.

maschinelf wrote:So I still couldn't entirely reconcile myself to the upgrade price even for Suite 8 -> Live 9 and decided to investigate Ableton's pricing a bit further.

What I found was, I think, something I had been aware of before but had then forgotten about since the months after 9 was first announced. The upgrade path from Live 8 -> Suite 8 with a free upgrade to Suite 9 is apparently 179 usd. So, people who own Live 8 get an upgrade to 9 for 70 usd LESS than the Suite owners who paid around 350 usd more for their product to begin with.

This is beyond retarded. Fanboy or not, I don't understand how anyone can justify these prices. Ableton's logic must have been something like this, "Well, you know, they did give us more money to begin, which means they probably have more money to spare than Live owners. So, let's charge them more, they probably won't even notice". It also makes me slightly concerned about Ableton's internal processes, management and decision-making.

Honestly, I am happy for Live 8 owners and don't want to take the great deal away from them, but this is just pure BS for Suite owners on every level. I'm not speaking for everyone, but I am speaking the unbiased, objective truth here, so see it if you want, or don't.

Others have pointed out, and rightly so, that if I or anyone else doesnt want to upgrade, then we shouldn't or don't have to. I won't, and my suite license is going up for sale in the marketplace real soon.
Where are you seeing an upgrade to suite 8 for $179? My Ableton accounts say $299. Are speaking of retailers?

Since I have suite 8, I can't see the price for upgrading from Live 8 to Suite 8. Ths 179 usd upgrade price is based on what I read on ableton forums and here, though even that isn't so clear.

Some ppl who owned Live 8 + M4L reported that they upgraded for €164. Others with just Live wrote that they paid $179, while some others wrote that their upgrade price was €179. Even at €179, it's still a great deal for Live owners.

But since you're saying 299 usd, that's probably what it is. Ableton probably botched their prices earlier and put them too low to begin with (something they've done a few times), so maybe they revised their prices. 299 usd does make more sense, and I'm still wading through those topics trying to find any info on whether it was a pricing mistake that they fixed later.

Ooh .. Just found that they did botch their pricing upon release. I was aware of it too, as I posted about it on page 17 of this thread.

I feel a little silly now, and should have read through a few more pages before posting my last rant. So, at least Ableton did have the sense to fix such a glaring inconsistency in prices. And their prices are indeed more in line with what is fair, though whether they represent that value to each customer is a personal and subjective question. It really doesn't change anything for me though, as I've decided to get rid of Live anyway.

maschinelf wrote:Ooh .. Just found that they did botch their pricing upon release. I was aware of it too, as I posted about it on page 17 of this thread.

I feel a little silly now, and should have read through a few more pages before posting my last rant. So, at least Ableton did have the sense to fix such a glaring inconsistency in prices. And their prices are indeed more in line with what is fair, though whether they represent that value to each customer is a personal and subjective question. It really doesn't change anything for me though, as I've decided to get rid of Live anyway.
Cool. I was about to upgrade to suite and wanted to sure I couldn't get it a little cheaper. I this it is still a decent deal since it includes the free upgrade to 9 which has M4L include. Suite + Live9 + Max for $299. Seems fair.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”