Ableton Live 9 announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote::cry:

I'm really trying here :evil:
Sorry Hibidy. Just let it go... the conversation will revert back on its own.

I haven't posted much because I'm still on the fence too. I've been working with the beta (both 64 and 32 versions), but I'm just not sold on it. I really like some of the new features, and I love that the orchestra collection, plus m4l is now included, but I think the things I really want are coming in bitwig.

I probably still will upgrade at some point, but the incentive for me will be if I can get Push, plus Live 9 at the same time. That seems like a nice combo, the software upgrade alone is just not enough for me.

whyterabbyt wrote:
dsan@mail.com wrote:I'm riding the fence on this update and will greatly appreciate users of the 9 beta giving their opinion on stability and use of 9. Stability is my main concern as presently 8 is a continuing crash fest on my Win7 i5 8g ram system.

I think this is due to trying to use to many large vsti's (KH libraries, Cinematic Strings, etc.), and eating up the 4g limit imposed by the 32 bit program.
its possible, but those are all kontakt libraries aint they? can you tweak kontakt to preload less into memory and see what happens?

Also, is it true that 9 64bit will not load 32bit plugins?
There's no bridge in the beta, and no mention of one for the final product that I can see.
I'm sure I read that Ableton didn't see the value in developing a native bridging solution where there was already a viable low cost solution in the market (jbridge).

Would have been nice to license it I guess.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

I beg to differ here, in defence of hibidy. I really wouldn't go so far as to say he "cynically manipulated" me (that is if you were talking about me). He merely pointed out, and quite rightly so, that I did not need to apologise for a comment I made. I'll admit it was unnecessary for him to do so, but he wasn't wrong.

Also, no offence whyterabbyt, and i dont think it's intentional, but some of the things you say, or perhaps the way you say them, can give others the impression that you have a problem with what they said, and you take it very personally. That's the impression I first got, and I was like, "Ok dude, what's your problem?" I know now that wasn't the case, but it did seem like it at first

What's with the silly digital cat fights anyway. I hope you just get on with each other, or if not, then the mute button should be useful. If that doesn't work either, well then maybe just meet up to settle scores :lol:

Now hopefully we can get back to discussing Live 9. Any info on automation improvements?

I've gotta try the moving live 8 library thing and see if it helps with session drummer (and some of the other presets)

The one thing that seems to have changed in 9 that I don't think I could live w/o is how recording is done. I'm no expert, but it seems better in 9 being able to record let's say, a guitar part and and then it will loop depending on where you hit stop for example. Seems in 8 you had to constantly go in and change the recorded part length but I admit, my memory is really bad.....so not sure WHAT they changed.

If it wasn't for that, I'd clean install 8.4 and forget about it. :shrug:

mcnelson wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
dsan@mail.com wrote:I'm riding the fence on this update and will greatly appreciate users of the 9 beta giving their opinion on stability and use of 9. Stability is my main concern as presently 8 is a continuing crash fest on my Win7 i5 8g ram system.

I think this is due to trying to use to many large vsti's (KH libraries, Cinematic Strings, etc.), and eating up the 4g limit imposed by the 32 bit program.
its possible, but those are all kontakt libraries aint they? can you tweak kontakt to preload less into memory and see what happens?

Also, is it true that 9 64bit will not load 32bit plugins?
There's no bridge in the beta, and no mention of one for the final product that I can see.
I'm sure I read that Ableton didn't see the value in developing a native bridging solution where there was already a viable low cost solution in the market (jbridge).

Would have been nice to license it I guess.
Thanks guys for the replies.

@whyterabbyt - Yes, these are Kontakt and I am consistently using the purge function. Still when these load they take up a lot of ram at first and this has occassionally caused a crash if I am at the threshold and I add an instrument. I know I can do a bounce and release some of the used ram but this is a pain if later in the composition something needs to change. I was just hopeful the 64 bit app would change this scenario and stop running out of ram. More than likely though with the boost in ram I'll probably fill that up too :hihi:

@mcnelson - I thought I had read somewhere that jbridge wouldn't work in Live 9 (or perhaps certain aspects of the two programs clashed). Do you know any thing about this?

Thanks again fellow KVR's! Glad to see we are back on topic :)

Happy musiking!
dsan

dsan@mail.com wrote:@whyterabbyt - Yes, these are Kontakt and I am consistently using the purge function. Still when these load they take up a lot of ram at first and this has occassionally caused a crash if I am at the threshold and I add an instrument. I know I can do a bounce and release some of the used ram but this is a pain if later in the composition something needs to change. I was just hopeful the 64 bit app would change this scenario and stop running out of ram. More than likely though with the boost in ram I'll probably fill that up too :hihi:
well, if you've got 8Gb, I reckon you'll be seeing about 2-3 times as much space free for Kontakt to use, so 64-bit Live cant hurt; Im assuming you're running a 64-bit OS already, yeah?

However, I would point out that, on a 64-bit Windows definitely, but I think 64-bit OSX as well, jbridge will also let you run 64-bit plugins in a 32-bit host, which would pretty much give a 64-bit install of Kontakt access to the rest of your 8Gb without needing to go to 64-bit Live until you need to. So that might be worth testing out via the demo and seeing if it helps.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: However, I would point out that, on a 64-bit Windows definitely, but I think 64-bit OSX as well, jbridge will also let you run 64-bit plugins in a 32-bit host, which would pretty much give a 64-bit install of Kontakt access to the rest of your 8Gb without needing to go to 64-bit Live until you need to. So that might be worth testing out via the demo and seeing if it helps.
Now this is interesting; thanks for the info and advice! I'll definitely look into this.

Somewhere though I thought I have read that jbridge and Live don't play well together. I'll investigate this before adding another potential problem. I like to keep an app native if all possible.

Yes, 64 bit Win7.

Thanks again!

Happy musiking!
dsan

Kinda late this Live 9 thing, and it's current pricing. However, if I have a Live 8 Suite license, but don't care for the bundled Max in Live 9, can I cross grade to Live 9 standard without losing the instruments I already paid for in the Live 8 suite? Again, apologies if this has been pummeled to death... :?
ModuLR / Radio

ModuLR wrote:Kinda late this Live 9 thing, and it's current pricing. However, if I have a Live 8 Suite license, but don't care for the bundled Max in Live 9, can I cross grade to Live 9 standard without losing the instruments I already paid for in the Live 8 suite? Again, apologies if this has been pummeled to death... :?
Yes, pretty sure they've said that if you go to regular live 9 you will keep any instruments you already have if your coming from suite. You lose out then on anything new specific to l9 suite, so all the new content packs, m4l, and the new m4l effects/instruments/midi/etc, plus of course any new things they may add to suite

grymmjack wrote: ...
2. Andy@cytomic deserves the recognition and though I own his products already having them as native live devices is pretty sweet. I will still use the plugs in Renoise for example. No value lost there. It's really smart move on Ableton's end.
I was just thinking the exact same thing. Bought Glue just before the announcement (or before I noticed) that it was going to be part of Live and thought "no waste - Renoise".

Considering the price of the Glue and its almost universal praise, and that's a lot of value added to Live, unless of course you already own it.

hibidy wrote:I've gotta try the moving live 8 library thing and see if it helps with session drummer (and some of the other presets)

The one thing that seems to have changed in 9 that I don't think I could live w/o is how recording is done. I'm no expert, but it seems better in 9 being able to record let's say, a guitar part and and then it will loop depending on where you hit stop for example. Seems in 8 you had to constantly go in and change the recorded part length but I admit, my memory is really bad.....so not sure WHAT they changed.

If you stop recording pretty promptly live will crop the clip to the nearest bar just gone so you don't have to change the length manually any more.. Makes it a bit quicker.. Also it seems to tie in with the global quantize function , so you can set it so you could possibly record for 2 bars but have say , a four bar clip etc..

ezelkow1 wrote:Yes, pretty sure they've said that if you go to regular live 9 you will keep any instruments you already have if your coming from suite. You lose out then on anything new specific to l9 suite, so all the new content packs, m4l, and the new m4l effects/instruments/midi/etc, plus of course any new things they may add to suite
thanks for the info.
ModuLR / Radio

shanecgriffo wrote:
hibidy wrote:I've gotta try the moving live 8 library thing and see if it helps with session drummer (and some of the other presets)

If you stop recording pretty promptly live will crop the clip to the nearest bar just gone so you don't have to change the length manually any more.. Makes it a bit quicker.. Also it seems to tie in with the global quantize function , so you can set it so you could possibly record for 2 bars but have say , a four bar clip etc..
Right. And considering how much guitar and bass I record it's a luxury (plus it's better for looping in general)

That's the one thing I really like about 9

JoeCat wrote:
grymmjack wrote: ...
2. Andy@cytomic deserves the recognition and though I own his products already having them as native live devices is pretty sweet. I will still use the plugs in Renoise for example. No value lost there. It's really smart move on Ableton's end.
I was just thinking the exact same thing. Bought Glue just before the announcement (or before I noticed) that it was going to be part of Live and thought "no waste - Renoise".

Considering the price of the Glue and its almost universal praise, and that's a lot of value added to Live, unless of course you already own it.
Andy has also said that while its not official, he was thinking of emailing out all current glue owners a voucher for a modest discount on live 9. So if you own the glue might want to keep an eye out for that email before purchasing

The upgrade deal from Suite 8 to Live 9 isn't so bad after all. It's not great, but I was wrong in saying they're screwing us, at least for the live upgrade. Also, it's not for just one week. I might actually go for it once it's been out for a while and the verdict is out, and depending on a few important features I need, like the automation improvements I asked about before.

Does anyone know how much an upgrade from Live 9 to Suite 9 will cost?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”