Ableton Live 9 announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Plus I want credit for finding a bug :hihi: :D

dusted william wrote:hopefully the price will drop from that list price they have up.
Uh huh.

The APC40 price seems to be coming down a bit.. even though they consider it last generations Live controller, that looks tastier to me.. if only for it costing less than 3 times that of a PUSH controller. :hihi:

for the money of PUSH, one could get an APC40 and a Maschine Mikro.. with around 65 dollars left over.
or
an APC40, APC20, and a SparkLE with around 15 left over. :shrug:

The element I am a bit leery over with these controllers is they are largely dependent on software running on a PC.

The MPCs of old are autonomous in that that they only require electricity and some speakers/headphones. Which is probably why they are still used today.. Just think of how few would be used if they required a Windows 95 PC and some no-longer developed software (as example).

underneath all of the neatness, these Live 'instruments' are nothing more than midi message controllers with fancy mpc pads.. but there is no saying they will all function without Live. Unless I'm getting paid to perform/produce, not sure I'm feeling a 600 dollar set of mpc pads. :shrug:

VitaminD wrote:underneath all of the neatness, these Live 'instruments' are nothing more than midi message controllers with fancy mpc pads.. but there is no saying they will all function without Live. Unless I'm getting paid to perform/produce, not sure I'm feeling a 600 dollar set of mpc pads. :shrug:
Push will function as a standard MIDI controller with other software. I posed that question earlier, and did eventually find the same answer on Abelton's site. While this means that Push won't be a fancy step sequencer and all that other fun stuff when used with another DAW, it also means that some enterprising developer could implement the same functionality for other DAWs. There is nothing that Push does with Ableton which couldn't be recreated with Max/MSP or any number of other platforms.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

lockheart wrote:Image

I've reported one where m4l live help files examples don't produce sound anymore (they used to in a previous build) and no response. The editor crashed on me a few times related to this prob but the devices themselves on the track still worked which is kind of neat. The browser isn't fully ready yet but improving.
Plenty of things left to fix.

Let's just hope they don't push it out the door too soon.
hibidy wrote:Prolly. I just figured if people mentioned they have that problem that it might get some love. I mean, certainly that's not something they want hanging around for the release right?
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

I haven't even dabbled in M4L yet. I'm too basic for it :lol:

The biggies I've noticed are the mentioned one, the ABSOLUTE MESS that is drums/session drums and a couple of browser quirks. I haven't really messed around with the automation too much, but what I have seems to work. Had to assign a key to the automation record icon because sometimes I'd forget to have record off, move some buttons and then MESS CITY :lol: Now, I have it off by default.

Let's see, the indexing thing hasn't been as much of an issue for me though every once in a while......anyways, it mostly cooks along pretty good. That reminds me, I have a feature request........

hibidy wrote:I haven't really messed around with the automation too much, but what I have seems to work. Had to assign a key to the automation record icon because sometimes I'd forget to have record off, move some buttons and then MESS CITY :lol: Now, I have it off by default.
It's very buggy for me with midi cc automation. With host automation it works but with midi whatever I record doesn't play back because the "update" button keeps kicking in automatically and stopping it.

Since I wasn't used to having it, I've been too stumped on a few more common things to work on it. I'll have a go later, after I get my back cracked :hihi:

@ctrl/R Tab: People are all OVER it now! Persistence! I get jazzed when there is any kind of progress. I haven't read it step by step but it seems to be also linked to having certain controller types (I'm guess my novation impulse is involved)

hibidy wrote:Since I wasn't used to having it, I've been too stumped on a few more common things to work on it. I'll have a go later, after I get my back cracked :hihi:
Hmmmm.....You?, Talking about cracking on this forum? Hmmmmmm....

:D :D

Sorry Hibidy - couldn't resist taking a crack at you - Dohhh...it's contagious; cracking :D

But back on subject - how are you getting along with 9? I'm thinking of dl'ng 64 beta 8. Worth it in your esteemed opinion or no?

Happy musiking!
dsan

I love 8. The x64 demo worked nearly to perfection here, and I have the worst luck on the planet :hihi:

It's all it's CRACKED up to be :hihi:

hibidy wrote:I love 8. The x64 demo worked nearly to perfection here, and I have the worst luck on the planet :hihi:

It's all it's CRACKED up to be :hihi:
I know the luck you mean all too well. :)

I am generally reluctant to dl beta versions, but I feel like I have a beta version anyway in 8.2.7 something something, 32 bit. Too many crashes with it and I am concerned the beta 64 version will do the same.

But on your word I think I will give it a go.

Thanks!

And keep on cracking young fella; you crack me up :D

Happy musiking!
dsan

I'm older than dirt.......why do you think I need to go to the chiropractor? :shrug:

hibidy wrote:I'm older than dirt.......why do you think I need to go to the chiropractor? :shrug:
Hmmmm....cause you have a thing about cracking? :roll:
aaaa..... because it's more fun than rolling in the dirt? :?

Besides, no matter how old you get, dirt will get older than you :lol: , eventually.

And it already is, phhttt! :lol:

Happy musiking!
dsan

deastman wrote:
VitaminD wrote:underneath all of the neatness, these Live 'instruments' are nothing more than midi message controllers with fancy mpc pads.. but there is no saying they will all function without Live. Unless I'm getting paid to perform/produce, not sure I'm feeling a 600 dollar set of mpc pads. :shrug:
Push will function as a standard MIDI controller with other software. I posed that question earlier, and did eventually find the same answer on Abelton's site. While this means that Push won't be a fancy step sequencer and all that other fun stuff when used with another DAW, it also means that some enterprising developer could implement the same functionality for other DAWs. There is nothing that Push does with Ableton which couldn't be recreated with Max/MSP or any number of other platforms.
As I said, there is no saying all of the features will function without Live (pretty sure now they won't). And the fancy step sequencer and other fun stuff is what makes this something special!

The fact that I'd need Max/MSP or any other outside software to make this device fully functional is what I was getting at. It is a pure controller. A pricy one.

For that price, I think it better hold samples, have an onboard sequencer, and have outputs. :hihi: Remember, it requires a 400 dollar piece of software additionally. And (guesstimating cost, 500 dollar) a computer to function.

It's a 1500 dollar package.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”