Ableton Live 9 announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

schnapsglas wrote:
CPCompany wrote:
schnapsglas wrote:I am wondering about that Audio to Midi. I am thinking of upgrading to Melodyne Editor since Studio One allows ARA and it would really improve my workflow, but wonder if Ableton 9 could solve those kind of issues....
I have to say the audio to midi feature seems like fantastic idea, just for the speed. Just seeing how quickly you can turn tapping a beat on a table, or humming a bassline into a workable song was pretty inspiring.

I never really got into Live 8, but I think I will make the transition to 9 just for this feature alone.
Would you say it would be better suited for those things than Melodyne?
I honestly don't know anything about Melodyne. But, I can't see how any other program could really improve on what Ableton are offering on the Audio to Midi feature. It really impressed me and I pretty much only went to snag a freebie or two and maybe win the free copy of Live 9.

After seeing this feature, I am pretty sure I will buy it.

Why is that none of the annoying things that bug people ever show up at these events :x

Anyways, mushy mushy went too, how many people actually went?

hibidy wrote:Why is that none of the annoying things that bug people ever show up at these events :x

Anyways, mushy mushy went too, how many people actually went?
The bloke doing the demonstration had a few issues with Push. Although I think he hadn't quite got the hang of it, rather than being a fault with the machine.

I would say there were about 120 people or so.

Uhh.. yes. There is cheap Melodyne update on now, and I need to know whether this feature will suffice. Because Ableton is something I would like to retry.

... But probably we will all sit and wait for Bitwig, eh? Let's go for Melodyne.

Bitwig is so powerful that it NOT coming out is stopping competitor's sales. :lol:
It's all about the wavelets. I dream of the perfect additive synthesis.
You can hire me if you are in Toronto! Contact for details.

schnapsglas wrote:Uhh.. yes. There is cheap Melodyne update on now, and I need to know whether this feature will suffice. Because Ableton is something I would like to retry.

... But probably we will all sit and wait for Bitwig, eh? Let's go for Melodyne.

Bitwig is so powerful that it NOT coming out is stopping competitor's sales. :lol:

Not yet shipping software is always the best and most powerful... and 100% bug free... :hihi:

They have everything in the new catalog for MF. Nothing surprising, just saying.

499, 799, 599 for live, suite, and push respectively

hibidy wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:
andrelafosse wrote: Buggy automation? OK, that's clearly a problem. Can someone elaborate on how/where that shows up?

New browser? I understand some people like it and some people don't. That's not a bug, that's a new design angle that some people don't like. Is there an actual bug with it? I couldn't find more info on that. Hence my asking for some elaboration.
For the buggy automation ask hibidy, he's had some issues. Theres also beta reports of automation not working correctly at low BPM's since it appears automation is dependent on tempo in some instances and so it updates incredibly slowly (i.e. you get stepping on automation). Plus the long standing PDC issue

The long standing PDC issue is not a bug... It is a feature request
It's pretty lame though. I mean, it doesn't really stand to reason that that a live/tempo based tool would still have that. That being said, I'm of the "it will never be fixed" school.

Took them a while to add automation to session view... they will add PDC for automation too... so it goes... there is no end to the things we want!

I'm happy that the limitations of Live 9 don't seem to affect me. I was considering getting Push but am loving my Launchpad running LPC, though I need to print out the mapping templates. It really makes nearly everything mouse free for a fraction of Push, just you don't have velocity and pressure. Maybe I'll get a Push when I know it is a mature platform. I really like the new instrument paradigm, it suits me personally really well, so I hope it works out. I'm sure PDC will come in time, though I'm not feeling the pain from that.

I am finding little use for the bundled content though, and need to really investigate what MAX offers me. I am preferring my VSTs more often than not, and BFD2 to the drum racks. Maybe that is why I am not suffering frustration, but even so, what I have installed seems to be set up right to me, I am not sure what I might be missing. I haven't downloaded all the packs though. The Live 9 app itself seems stable enough to me, as stable as the released versions of Reaper and Studio One that I also own. It seems reasonable quality wise to me and I am sure there will be point releases to address most big issues in time. I just jusmped back to Live and am loving it, I'm not jumping to anything else for a long while :) "A bad workman quarrels with his tools." I think for my needs I have a very good tool, so now it's up to me to make the best works with them that I can.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Yeah, I know about the bad workman thing, but let's face it, I was ecstatic about 8.4. So for me anyways, it's more about me not feeling it's adding, but subtracting.

I've had 3 crashes, I'm certain all of them had to do with indexing. Now, I just manually kill that once it starts and things seem to be better. But what a pita. So stable? sure. I average about 2 hours a day on it, I'm working only in 9 right now, so.....

With session drums, it's not that I couldn't get a sound I liked. I couldn't get it to work within any reason with 9. The packs fracked my originals, and now even in 8.4 I no longer have the stuff telling me what is what. Unless I know the name of the actually kit, It's a shot in the dark. And that the drums are no longer grouped properly, this is going to f..k some people up if they use session/drum machine. I'm in a wasteland over it. I've given up on that completely.

See I don't have those issues. The 8.4 install and the 9 installs are independent from what I know. Maybe I should delve into it more, but I haven't opened 8 in a long time. Maybe that's why? Maybe I have separate installs of the packs, I remember migrating them to a second disk at one point, anyhow however I did it works and I have no indexing weirdness. It seems solid to me. I get some crashes when I do weird things with my soundcards or with some plugins, but I don't attribute them to Live really, the same stuff would probably crash all my DAWs. Anyhow ignorance is bliss, and I'm not calling anyone a bad workman, just for my needs I have no complaints, so I'm not going to let something that is missing but not an issue for me 'harsh my mellow' :)
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I'm glad for you braj.

Time for another clean install here :cry:

And software is supposed to make our lives easier WHEN? :hihi: but honestly, I'm flying around Live with my Launchpad/LPC, it really is approaching hardware and I'm sure push will be great. I do believe that should be factored into the equation regarding any inconveniences and shortcomings, and even if you don't get Push using a Launchpad (low as $99 I have seen) you can punch in and record takes so easily sitting away from the DAW, and see and control playback without getting out of your chair. As a guitarist I sit far away from my desk and record and arrange stuff so easily. Anyone with a Launchpad should get LPC, it is really great. And this is likely way more clumsy than Push will be. Anyhow I don't know of any real alternatives and I try and live in the here and now :) so can't count on Bitwig to solve my needs of today in some far off tomorrow.

hibidy wrote:Amushy mushy went too, how many people actually went?
No mate didnt go in the end. I had double booked my evening :(
hibidy wrote:Why is that none of the annoying things that bug people ever show up at these events :x
I would love to see Theo at one of these things arguing about the bugs :lol: :D
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Just received an offer to upgrade from Live 8 Standard to Live 8 Suite and receive a free Live 9 Suite upgrade. The price they offered also takes the additional single plugins i purchased like e.g. Analog and Sampler into account.

I planned to upgrade to Live 9 anyway but now it looks i'll finally also take the opportunity to get the Suite too. With Live 9 Suite that will also include Max for Live.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Mushy Mushy wrote:
hibidy wrote:Amushy mushy went too, how many people actually went?
No mate didnt go in the end. I had double booked my evening :(
I would love to see Theo at one of these things arguing about the bugs :lol: :D
omg I loled!(sorry Theo)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”