Steinberg's Countdown, Nuendo 6 AND Cubase 7!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BERFAB wrote:
LawrenceF wrote: The new product looks really great but you can clearly see that they have aquired a bit more sensitivity to the MDI windowing complaints.

All of the C7 graphics on their page have the window title bars cropped out. You never see the title bars or the actual main container window.

Look pretty good though, some of the new features.
So are you saying they fixed the problem, or they just showed 'sensitivity' by making it LOOK like it's not problem?

-B
I guess "B".

:hihi:

BERFAB wrote:So are you saying they fixed the problem, or they just showed 'sensitivity' by making it LOOK like it's not problem?

-B
The latter, kinda. They seem to be a bit more sensitive about it all, cropping it out of the photos. If you'd never seen or used Cubase you'd maybe think, looking at those pics, that the arrange window was the main application window.

On the grouping question and what they screwed up ...

Cubendo users have been begging for Protools like VCA groups. There are a million ways to do it, some of which could kick ass over the Protools way. The marketing crap suggests that there are now custom automation groups. Which would be awesome. Except, when they show it, they completely avoid showing how you manage those groups. And, what it actually looks like is there is no "list" of groups .. you have to do it by selecting every time. Which defeats the entire purpose of the grouping.

I could be wrong by the way. There may be a track list feature of some kind that addresses that issue. However, you would think they would show it during that portion of the video to show how easy it is to swap between automation groups. They tap danced around it heavily during that portion of the video, leading me to believe it is not actually something you can save for recall. Rendering it useless.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:On the grouping question and what they screwed up ...

Cubendo users have been begging for Protools like VCA groups. There are a million ways to do it, some of which could kick ass over the Protools way. The marketing crap suggests that there are now custom automation groups. Which would be awesome. Except, when they show it, they completely avoid showing how you manage those groups. And, what it actually looks like is there is no "list" of groups .. you have to do it by selecting every time. Which defeats the entire purpose of the grouping.

I could be wrong by the way. There may be a track list feature of some kind that addresses that issue. However, you would think they would show it during that portion of the video to show how easy it is to swap between automation groups. They tap danced around it heavily during that portion of the video, leading me to believe it is not actually something you can save for recall. Rendering it useless.
Huhn. I'll have to look at the videos again. Not really following what the big deal is.

On the windowing issue ...

As Lawrence said, they are purposefully cropping the actual containing windows and they NEVER pop up the window you normally would to do some of the things they are showing. This is because it would jack up the screen like it does under the current windowing system. For example notice we didn't see the pool window when he changed the mode of the audio file for use with the harmonizer... they conveniently cut that part and advanced .... Same thing with the mediabay. They talk about all the preset management enhancements and new instruments and MIDI loops ... But they don't ever show it being used in the product. That's because it sucks.

bduffy wrote:Huhn. I'll have to look at the videos again. Not really following what the big deal is.
Just means you don't know what VCA groups are.

there are a few new videos showing cubase 7 on DV247TV
http://www.youtube.com/user/DV247TV

SJ_Digriz wrote:
bduffy wrote:Huhn. I'll have to look at the videos again. Not really following what the big deal is.
Just means you don't know what VCA groups are.
"Voltage Controlled Amplifier"? :hihi:

Oh wait, this is where you control a series of faders with one. So that is "Voltage Controlled Amplifier". My ignorance is resplendent, for all to see.

bduffy wrote: Oh wait, this is where you control a series of faders with one. So that is "Voltage Controlled Amplifier". My ignorance is resplendent, for all to see.
hehehe, the word "groups" is fairly important in this context. :hihi:

To be fair it looks like they have both a reletive and absolute mode. That is awesome. Also, you can apply it to more than just the VCA, which is also awesome. If you can't save it to a list ... that = useless.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
bduffy wrote: Oh wait, this is where you control a series of faders with one. So that is "Voltage Controlled Amplifier". My ignorance is resplendent, for all to see.
hehehe, the word "groups" is fairly important in this context. :hihi:

To be fair it looks like they have both a reletive and absolute mode. That is awesome. Also, you can apply it to more than just the VCA, which is also awesome. If you can't save it to a list ... that = useless.
Sounds like a step in the right direction, anyway. Seems to live up to what they're saying about trying to meet pro-mixers' needs. I look forward to trying this out!

I'd still hear more about the flow of the channel strip. It's a bit shady on the videos to be honest.

I mean... if these are the old individual modules (comp, deesser, etc) "put" into one place (the channel strip), but you still have the inserts (6 pre, 2 post), then it makes sense and is actually great. Like a real console - you'd have more slots available, but you're stuck to the sound of this particular console. Though I miss the fact that you can put the EQ pre/post inserts as well on modern ones.

So yeah, a little bit more input on that would be great. And like I said, I miss(!) the knobs on the 4 band EQ already. Speaking of which, that could have been updated to 5 bands plus LP/HP by now - but then again, that's just me.

Another thing that catched my eye: a 1176 clone?

But it's not mentioned in either the Nuendo nor Cubase feature list. So who provided that one? The "Vintage Comp" from C6 days is pretty much an LA esque creation. But what is this?

I slowly have the feeling that Steinberg tries to stay as competitive as possible with their bundled stuff. I still say "no need" - since Cubase 1.4 days (on disk), and early VST days, I only used the channel EQ (called Q back int he day) and sometimes the comp at most. Now everything is built in.

I understand where Steinberg is aiming at, especially with the incorporation of the NUAGE console. So you basically (very, very basically) have that one in software form - and then you go from there. But I didn't get gear just to drop it and use the Cubase internal stuff instead.

I think this is the wrong way to do it - much like Harrison Mixbus and old RECORD. But we'll have to wait and see. One thing is just useless IMO - the channel strip sports a slot for a limiter/clipper, there is no need to use it if you're mixing with -18dBFS as reference level. But to each his own.

Still waiting for a mail by the Steinberg support. Had many questions prior to the (hefty for me) purchase. I'm still hesitating. But compared to Cubase SX2 to SX3 and C5 to C6.0, this upgrade is actually offering a lot. Then again, it could have been a "real" 6.5 upgrade, and the 6.5 one could have been 6.2 - much like ProTools. If other devs do it, why not Steinberg.

But again - I get where they are aiming at. I only hope the upgrade (paid updates) cycles won't happen like every half year now.

Oh and... that "Online Collab" thing... anyone remembers Digital Musician Network? I think it didn't get the attention the developers (among them: Mr Steinberg himself) would have loved to get - so they buillt it into Cubase/Nuendo.

:shrug:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Another thing that catched my eye: a 1176 clone?

But it's not mentioned in either the Nuendo nor Cubase feature list. So who provided that one? The "Vintage Comp" from C6 days is pretty much an LA esque creation. But what is this?
You missed the response to this when I posted the screencap: a Steinberg dev confirmed it's a "modified version of the Vintage Limiter". With vintage GUI for greater street cred! :hihi:

Compyfox wrote: Another thing that catched my eye: a 1176 clone?

They said it was the vintage compressor redone a bit and directly integrated into the audio engine. Helge said that althought the current strip is locked into the various effects included, they are considering opening up the strip to 3rd parties.

The strip has zero latency added, so that will probably mean a limitation in the types and "quality" of the plugs.
Oh and... that "Online Collab" thing... anyone remembers Digital Musician Network? I think it didn't get the attention the developers (among them: Mr Steinberg himself) would have loved to get - so they buillt it into Cubase/Nuendo.

:shrug:
And Rocket and ... never mind. This gets tried every couple of years. Eventually internet speeds/bandwidth/latency/cost issues will make it possible to do. I doubt we are there yet.

Not to jump the party and do some illegal advertising, but an intelligent composing assistant for harmonies you can also get with Liquid Notes - http://www.liquid-notes.com. It works with all DAWs, so you're not stuck with Cubase!

cheers,
bliquid25
Re-Compose. Creative tools for music producers.
http://www.re-compose.com

bliquid25 wrote:Not to jump the party and do some illegal advertising, but an intelligent composing assistant for harmonies you can also get with Liquid Notes - http://www.liquid-notes.com. It works with all DAWs, so you're not stuck with Cubase!

cheers,
bliquid25
But I want to be stuck with Cubase! :P

That looks really cool, actually.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”