Steinberg's Countdown, Nuendo 6 AND Cubase 7!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My Cubase 6.5 license got upgraded to 7 today (grace period) :love:
But I'm still running Win XP :bang:
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

fandango wrote:Can't really see anything in the 7 feature list that would encourage me to upgrade from 6.5.

I guess I should be thrilled about that, really... :D
Me as well. Currently fighting new-toy-itis. When they update the instrument tracks to multi-out, I'll be first in line.

Well, everything went well, except I can't open any of my larger, complex projects.

bduffy wrote:Well, everything went well, except I can't open any of my larger, complex projects.
:-o
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

MickGael wrote:
bduffy wrote:Well, everything went well, except I can't open any of my larger, complex projects.
Yeah. The install went fine: license upgrade, scanning VSTs, initial opening, all my preferences and templates and recent projects are there. I can open any project that has a few tracks/VSTi's, but I cannot open any big mixes with audio/VST combinations.

Oh well, I suppose it was to be expected. Sounds like they just squeaked this version out by the deadline.

Well, that...sucks. Does the updater overwrite the existing installation or are you still able to fire up Cubase 6.5 after the update?

bduffy wrote:
MickGael wrote:
Yeah. The install went fine: license upgrade, scanning VSTs, initial opening, all my preferences and templates and recent projects are there. I can open any project that has a few tracks/VSTi's, but I cannot open any big mixes with audio/VST combinations.

Oh well, I suppose it was to be expected. Sounds like they just squeaked this version out by the deadline.
How disappointing and frustrating. Sounds like its time to submit a ticket to Steinberg. Ugh.
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

vandrewal wrote:
Well, that...sucks. Does the updater overwrite the existing installation or are you still able to fire up Cubase 6.5 after the update?
Should be able to! Cubase installations never overwrite the old versions.

In november I bought the 6.5 upgrade for 50 euro... And suddenly I have Cubase 7. Brilliant! License activation was automatic. Installation went smooth (as always with Cubase updates). I was afraid that my iLok1 license wouldn't work, but everything worked. Old Cubase project opened all correctly.

But... I have to get used to the new user interface. For example, they changed how the send works in the inspector. I don't know if I like it. And the mixer is a little confusing. And Audiowarp and VariAudio do strange things. I never buy updates when they are released, but I got this one for free. Hoping for bugfixes.

And some elements in Cubase 7 have a more candy/kids look (colour, bevel, etc).

kiezum wrote:In november I bought the 6.5 upgrade for 50 euro... And suddenly I have Cubase 7. Brilliant! License activation was automatic. Installation went smooth (as always with Cubase updates). I was afraid that my iLok1 license wouldn't work, but everything worked. Old Cubase project opened all correctly.

But... I have to get used to the new user interface. For example, they changed how the send works in the inspector. I don't know if I like it. And the mixer is a little confusing. And Audiowarp and VariAudio do strange things. I never buy updates when they are released, but I got this one for free. Hoping for bugfixes.

And some elements in Cubase 7 have a more candy/kids look (colour, bevel, etc).
I think it's going to take a little getting used to (been trying to figure out for over 30 minutes how to buss tracks to a Group, for instance), but I'll bet in a year or so, previous Cubase versions are going to be like, "why did we EVER use THAT??". ;)

Still. This mixer is confusing...

Let's see some pics of the stuff they didn't show, like the inspector changes.

kiezum wrote:In november I bought the 6.5 upgrade for 50 euro... And suddenly I have Cubase 7. Brilliant!
I was wondering about this. I had assumed that the free 6.5 to 7 update was only if you bought the full 6.5, not the 50 euro/usd upgrade. That is quite a perk!

Not sure how much sense that makes though. Essentially saying the upgrade is only worth 50 euro/usd. :shock:

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

A bunch of new C7 videos if anyone more details on the new features before making the leap.

These are links to youtube playlists. There's something like 37 videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... XFpawTKm6B

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... F8o8SSAcPM

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ZRVgA47jPO

So far, my experiences are pretty positive. Installation was smooth and the licence was automatically upgraded to version 7. All plugins are working, old and new, with iLok 1 and 2.

Scanning all plugins took only couple of seconds when previous versions took 5 minutes. The channel settings window is great. It contains input gain and high/low pass filters as well as phase inversion. The EQ can be put in any place in the signal flow. This is enough for me, no need for dockable windows any more. The same controls (and more) are available in the mixer window also, but I don't think I will use them there.

There are quite a few new features that I haven't tried yet, but already now I'm happy that I upgraded. Especially when I managed to find the last upgrade 5->6 in town for 150 € three weeks ago...

I'm really on the fence with this upgrade. Steinberg have already had money from me for the 6.5 upgrade this year, and now want £120 for the v7 release. It seems that early adopters of 6.5 are being punished and if I'd waited longer to upgrade to 6.5, it wouldn't have cost me anything to get both 6.5 and 7. I certainly don't think I'll be buying into a mid-term release again...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”