Steinberg's Countdown, Nuendo 6 AND Cubase 7!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bduffy wrote:So to be clear: is 6.5 no longer a paid update? i.e., if I find and buy a boxed update from 5 to v6.0, can I download the 6.5 update, or would I have to pay (in which case I'd obviously just wait for 7 to be released)?
That got a little weird because they discontinued selling 6. There is no upgrade from 6 to 6.5. You probably should ask them via the sales e-mail. It caused a lot of confusion when that first happened.

The big problem is that everyone is trying to find a cheap upgrade loophole path.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

theoryzero wrote:
bduffy wrote:So to be clear: is 6.5 no longer a paid update? i.e., if I find and buy a boxed update from 5 to v6.0, can I download the 6.5 update, or would I have to pay (in which case I'd obviously just wait for 7 to be released)?
My situation: On 10/24 I bought the boxed Cubase 6 update for Cubase 4 and 5 users.

On 10/29 I updated my Cubase 5 license to Cubase 6. In the process, it was automatically upgraded to 6.5 per the grace period policy at the time. Steinberg then pointed me to a download to get 6.5.

So, right now my license key says I have a Cubase 6.5 license and I'm running Cubase 6.5 on my machine. According to the current info regarding Cubase 7 grace period, I'll be able to update to Cubase 7 for free once it is available on 12/5 following the steps they mention on their site.
So you bought it on Oct 29, and that still counts as the 6.5 grace period?

SJ_Digriz wrote:
That got a little weird because they discontinued selling 6. There is no upgrade from 6 to 6.5. You probably should ask them via the sales e-mail. It caused a lot of confusion when that first happened.

The big problem is that everyone is trying to find a cheap upgrade loophole path.

If I am understanding the reported USD prices, a 6->7 upgrade will be $199 and a 6.5->7 upgrade will be $149.

So if you paid the $50 for 6.5, then you get it back here if you upgrade to 7.

Presumably, 6.5 will now disappear since everything will be rolled into 7. What you PAY for 7 may differ, though, depending on your upgrade circumstances.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Aiynzahev wrote:Let me know the results. I am a DAW geek too!
Well... you have a Steiny dongle (I think, or maybe not) and a working net connection so you can demo anything I can demo, if you're so inclined. :)

BERFAB wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:

If I am understanding the reported USD prices, a 6->7 upgrade will be $199 and a 6.5->7 upgrade will be $149.

So if you paid the $50 for 6.5, then you get it back here if you upgrade to 7.

Presumably, 6.5 will now disappear since everything will be rolled into 7. What you PAY for 7 may differ, though, depending on your upgrade circumstances.

Cheers
-B
But will the 6.5 update be available to interim 6.0 purchasers? I just found the last two copies in Vancouver... :D

bduffy wrote:So you bought it on Oct 29, and that still counts as the 6.5 grace period?
Right, according to the Grace Period info:
All customers who have activated Cubase 6/6.5 or Cubase Artist 6/6.5 (includes full retail version, educational version, updates and upgrades) on October 25, 2012, or later, are eligible to obtain a free Grace Period update to Cubase 7 or Cubase Artist 7.

Please note: Cubase is activated as soon as you have entered your activation code within the eLicenser Control Center (eLCC). Please note that the date of activation is the determining factor — not the date of purchase or the registration date.
And here is the Cubase 6.5 Grace Period info:
All customers who have activated Cubase 6 or Cubase Artist 6 on January 1, 2012, or later, are eligible to obtain a free Grace Period update to version 6.5.
So, in light of Cubase 7 being announced, I would guess that if you activate the Cubase 6 license now you will get an upgrade to 6.5 automatically. And then on 12/5 you'll be upgraded to Cubase 7 after following the procedure mentioned in that link above. I'll know for sure when my friend activates his Cubase 6 upgrade (he has Cubase 5 at the moment). His boxed 6.0 upgrade just shipped today.

theoryzero wrote:
bduffy wrote:So you bought it on Oct 29, and that still counts as the 6.5 grace period?
Right, according to the Grace Period info:
All customers who have activated Cubase 6/6.5 or Cubase Artist 6/6.5 (includes full retail version, educational version, updates and upgrades) on October 25, 2012, or later, are eligible to obtain a free Grace Period update to Cubase 7 or Cubase Artist 7.

Please note: Cubase is activated as soon as you have entered your activation code within the eLicenser Control Center (eLCC). Please note that the date of activation is the determining factor — not the date of purchase or the registration date.
And here is the Cubase 6.5 Grace Period info:
All customers who have activated Cubase 6 or Cubase Artist 6 on January 1, 2012, or later, are eligible to obtain a free Grace Period update to version 6.5.
So, in light of Cubase 7 being announced, I would guess that if you activate the Cubase 6 license now you will get an upgrade to 6.5 automatically. And then on 12/5 you'll be upgraded to Cubase 7 after following the procedure mentioned in that link above. I'll know for sure when my friend activates his Cubase 6 upgrade (he has Cubase 5 at the moment). His boxed 6.0 upgrade just shipped today.
Beautiful! Thanks so much! I'm off to the store!

(I know I seem lazy, but I was too busy mixing to sort it out. Thanks again!)

bduffy wrote:Beautiful! Thanks so much! I'm off to the store!

(I know I seem lazy, but I was too busy mixing to sort it out. Thanks again!)
Wonderful, be sure to let us know if it goes the way I expect or not! I suspect the last remaining Cubase 6 upgrades will be in very short supply very soon.

sqigls wrote:
_leras wrote:How will this work with the 3rd party plugs...

Can they be used on the channel strip?
Can we swap in a 3rd party EQ in place of the channel EQ for more seamless automation? (and use of the CC121)

Those are my biggest cubase wishes by far...

Anyone know...?
Looks like the channel strip is a dedicated Steiny thing, but there will be customisable strips also, ie to be able to 'learn' parameters from different plugs and have them all in the one strip. Pretty sure there wil be no 3rd party EQ swapping (a la Sonar etc), as a fellow CC121 user this is a shame, but no doubt Cubase 8 will have this feature.

So YAY, REASON 7!!!!!! I mean CUBASE 7 !!!!! :P brrt
This one thing would make cubase the best thing out there. Hope they sort it out ASAP.

Last edited by _leras on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I thought the sound quality totally depended on the sound card. Can this actually sound better?

dblock wrote:I thought the sound quality totally depended on the sound card. Can this actually sound better?
Are you joking or something?

dblock wrote:I thought the sound quality totally depended on the sound card. Can this actually sound better?
Well, that's why people buy saturators and analog emulators and such, because they say it makes things sound better. Now Cubase has those things on every mixer channel so... a logical case could be made for that.

Either that whole segment of the plugin market is a sham, or it's not. In any case, it follows the general logic of the market in that regard.

I sometimes look at Cubase and think how nice it would be to be able to start a studio NOW with just Cubase 7 and maybe Komplete.

Not much need for anything else.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

kmonkey wrote:
Are you joking or something?
Uh,that input was useless but I guess know that. :roll:

LawrenceF wrote:
Well, that's why people buy saturators and analog emulators and such, because they say it makes things sound better. Now Cubase has those things on every mixer channel so... a logical case could be made for that.

Either that whole segment of the plugin market is a sham, or it's not. In any case, it follows the general logic of the market in that regard.
ok, in that context, I could buy that argument though what they say seems to imply they done something with the software itself (outside of the included plugins). That's what made me wonder.
Thanks for the useful response.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”