Steinberg's Countdown, Nuendo 6 AND Cubase 7!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dblock wrote:uh oh, I'm trying to install and I get this window that I need a newer windows operating system. Now I see the minimum requirements of Windows 7 or 8.
I'm using Windows XP. I'm screwed. I emailed support pleading for a refund since I ordered the download and didnt/couldn't activate anything. DAMN! :-o
I looked at every detail but the one that counts! :oops: :x :shock: :(
I was planning on upgrading my workstation but not now. Unless Steinberg has alot of Xmas spirit, I have a feeling I won't be using Cubase 7 until Cubase 7.5 comes out. If I could reach my butt, I'd kick it!
Similar to version 6, browse the CD to the Cubase for Windows folder and find the Cubase7 or Cubase7_64bit.msi file - That seems to bypass the OS check. I'm using XP 64bit and just tried the standard install - It errored out saying it couldn't find a compatible runtime version. I tried using the .msi file and it installed fine, and although I'm at work and logging into to machine studio machine remotely, it appears to open fine. Hope this helps.

Rootwitch wrote:
dblock wrote:uh oh, I'm trying to install and I get this window that I need a newer windows operating system. Now I see the minimum requirements of Windows 7 or 8.
I'm using Windows XP. I'm screwed. I emailed support pleading for a refund since I ordered the download and didnt/couldn't activate anything. DAMN! :-o
I looked at every detail but the one that counts! :oops: :x :shock: :(
I was planning on upgrading my workstation but not now. Unless Steinberg has alot of Xmas spirit, I have a feeling I won't be using Cubase 7 until Cubase 7.5 comes out. If I could reach my butt, I'd kick it!
Similar to version 6, browse the CD to the Cubase for Windows folder and find the Cubase7 or Cubase7_64bit.msi file - That seems to bypass the OS check. I'm using XP 64bit and just tried the standard install - It errored out saying it couldn't find a compatible runtime version. I tried using the .msi file and it installed fine, and although I'm at work and logging into to machine studio machine remotely, it appears to open fine. Hope this helps.
Didn't work here (Windows XP SP3 32-bit)
Fernando (FMR)

@FMR
Did you try the 32 bit msi or the 64 bit one?

And, do you have .NET Framework 3.5 or 4 installed? It was necessary to install (only to install) Cubase 6 on XP.

[/quote]
Didn't work here (Windows XP SP3 32-bit)[/quote]

Yeah, the other users already filled in the blanks - Use the Cubase7.msi install, not the 64bit one - Make sure .Net is relatively up to date (I'm running 3.5). Should work.

The only issue I see is when you first open it, and it's supposed to display all the template's, recent projects, etc - All the text is missing. Everything else about the screen works (highlights as you mouse over *what should be* template names, etc) just no text - including the Open, Cancel, etc buttons. Strange - MAY be a video driver issue, but that all worked fine on 6.5 (another DAW that wasn't supposed to work on XP). Also, like many others, the Steinberg Hub isn't connecting.

But, aside from that little issue, everything works fine in XP.

wemakedancemusic wrote:And??? Logic is just soooooooo much better anyway!
Logic works better on WinXP....? :? 8)

Rootwitch wrote:The only issue I see is when you first open it, and it's supposed to display all the template's, recent projects, etc - All the text is missing. Everything else about the screen works (highlights as you mouse over *what should be* template names, etc) just no text - including the Open, Cancel, etc buttons. Strange - MAY be a video driver issue, but that all worked fine on 6.5 (another DAW that wasn't supposed to work on XP). Also, like many others, the Steinberg Hub isn't connecting.

But, aside from that little issue, everything works fine in XP.
Without having tried it yet, I guess that the new buffer system is one of the things that could not work right in XP and so may need to be deactivated. The guys from Steinberg mentioned something about kernel integration being the issue that makes Cubase 7 not compatible with XP.

I wonder what the 300 extra sounds for HSSE are. Do they sound good? :phones:

I went through the HSSE patches and thought they would have sounded awesome 20 years ago. Very much comparable to my old Roland XP-10 (which I use as midi controller nowadays).
Truly mind-boggling music! - New album out! - And a blog!

ok, so one less reason to upgrade :hihi:

I really don't like the new Cubase 7 mixer. An upgraded version of the "old" mixer would have been enough. That mixer always felt solid to use but the new one has this 'Web 2.0' feel to it that I just don't like it at all. This is Cubase, it's not Facebook, It should feel like a rock solid piece of software not some gimmicky website.
Sure I could "get used to it" but you could say that about any DAW. I have an FL Studio license, I could get used to that too despite the fact that I really don't like using it.

I'm moving back to 6.5 for the time being. What does this mean for me in the longterm? Do I stick with 6.5 until technology makes it obsolete or do I switch to something else? :|

Ableton is looking attractive again, the 25% off deal is still on.

Hmmm... could buy a Mac mini and Logic. I was considering switching to Cubase instead of upgrading my Logic from 8 to 9. But seems like it's still what "works" that's important, day in and out... not what's new. :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”