will giving my computer more ram make it run faster?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i went from 4 to 8 and i noticed some improvements. programs load a little faster and windows is more responsive. definitely not more voices, but bigger libraries and more of them of course.

here is a factor - if you are running a core2 and you can only do DDR2 then it is a lot more money. DDR3 is wildly cheaper.

as stated - no - it would not correct glitching out system overload. for that you would want to look at a new motherboard/cpu/ram combo.

ford442 wrote:i went from 4 to 8 and i noticed some improvements. programs load a little faster and windows is more responsive. definitely not more voices, but bigger libraries and more of them of course.

here is a factor - if you are running a core2 and you can only do DDR2 then it is a lot more money. DDR3 is wildly cheaper.

as stated - no - it would not correct glitching out system overload. for that you would want to look at a new motherboard/cpu/ram combo.
There will be some great deals on new computers from Black Friday threw the winter. Often its just cheaper to get a new one then upgrade.

i am running up the end of my Core2Quad 9650 3.0ghz also - LuSH-101 maxes out one core when using layered multi-voice patches even on normal quality. so, i will be looking at systems next year - Haswell chips will be out then and thankfully i can keep my case, PSU, video, and hard drives this time.

RAM is equivalent to the size of a room in which to work. More RAM is like enlarging your workspace. HD space is like a file cabinet ...more the more space to store. Storing libraries on a separate fast hard drive relieves stress on the main drive. Your CPU is the strength.

Each can effect overall system performance because one or more may be used to make up for something lacking. This is always a compromise to performance. Avoiding the compromise will ensure you are utilizing each component the most efficient way as it was intended. The only one that directly reflects speed is CPU power though.

o0Ampy0o wrote: The only one that directly reflects speed is CPU power though.
You make great comparison but I have a problem with your last sentence. That is what makes users so hooked on CPU speed and not seeing the big picture. You talk about performance. Performance = Speed. Different types of RAM also reflect speed. The GPU reflects speed and is even more important nowadays because it helps the CPU calculating raw data.

Scenario at your local computer store:
Which computer will run "faster"? If a customer decides to invest more money to get the 0.5GHz faster processor or add 8GB of more RAM to the 2GB RAM model for the same money, then the user would make the wrong decision if he goes for the CPU because it "directly reflects speed".
Edgar Rothermich
(iMac5K, 32GB)
YouTube Videos https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Books for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, GarageBand and FCPx http://DingDingMusic.com/
My Instagram for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools https://www.instagram.com/edgarrothermich/

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”