Worst DAW with a bad workflow is who?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dredd i knight wrote:This this thread is surprisingly free of vitriol
Whenever I've checked in, people were discussing specific issues, not indulging in wholesale flaming and fanboi-vs.-haterz wars. No need to send kudos to mods, you who have posted in a reasoned, sensible way are the ones who have kept it open.

Well, workflow is very important of course but unfortunately it isn't everything. For instance, personally I love the workflow of EnergyXT, but.. technically and feature wise it's not up to par with todays standards :( Quite a few people seem to think the same way about Tracktion.

That's why, for me, the perfect DAW still does not exist.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

dredd i knight wrote:CT do you mean its general paradigm lives in X2 or you use it there rewired? I haven't put it back on my current pc since I went totally 64 bit, but still get the urge to every now and then.... I stop take a deep breath and decide which of my current tools will do the job... The answer is usually Maschine because it too is a great scratch pad.
What they did was added the Matrix view which was the Groove clips view in Project 5.2 and allowed the import of included project 5 patterns, then they incorporated the Arpeggiator. There are other things under the hood but the functionality of Project 5 is in Sonar starting with 8.5.3.

If your interested in chiming in I started a thread at Cakewalk to ask them to release Project 5 again, although it's wishful thinking it's worth a try. Here is the thread:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2727790

Meffy's right though(and you too), It's cool there's no flaming going on(kudo's to all, even hibidy although he may change his mind at any time). :tu:

@CT Yeah i thought that's what you meant. the matrix is essentially the same as P5's and I'm really glad they ported the arp; it's one of the best out there IMO especially when you can bounce it down and edit the notes individually.

@Hibidy Cheers it"s what happens when a star wars fan grows dreads, and needs to get a dj name quickfast! Then it stuck! :hihi:

I think out of the daws that I use right now, the one with the worst workflow is Logic, purely because I don't understand it very well right now. Studio one is very easy to pick up and Live made sense to me coming from a dj background pretty quickly. Maschine is just beautiful to work with too.

I'm sure the flow with Logic will come though; it's so feature rich that I'm not expecting to learn it quickly.

DuX wrote:To each their own, I say... My "vote" would go to "Live", as I just never been able to "get it".
Can't believe it took five pages for someone to say it! Maybe you have to have an X in your KVR handle! :lol:

I've sat down 4 times and tried to dig in and make some music, but it's the furthest thing from a linear workflow since my old Dr. T's Keyboard Controlled Sequencer for the C64.

But I learned and loved that program for years, so I'm sure there are non-tape emulator style fans out there who've done the same.

I recently saw a recording school advertising it as their main student DAW, god help them in the real world! :hihi:

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

The answer is in the question itself. Workflow is not something that a DAW has...workflow is the way you choose to work. Sure, a DAW has a huge impact on your workflow, but the workflow itself is not in the DAW. So the DAW that is worst in this regard differs from person to person.

I can work faster and easier in Reaper than in anything else. But that is because i have used it for a long time and set it up to suit my way of working. I find that the places that it does not suit my workflow are few and not much of a problem. The last sentence could be untrue for others.

I have tried out Live a few times and never got it...have the worst workflow? To me, it might have...but that does not say that much about Live that is useful to other people. You have to be more specific about what you do in your DAW, and how you like to do it for this whole discussion to make any sense :)

I found Ableton Live to be easy and relatively free of too many submenus. Uncluttered. I have been using since version 3 before vsti introduction. Tried a whole lot though. Cubasis, Cubase SX, Nuendo, Sonar, Cakewalk, FL Studio, Acid Pro, Traktion. None of made much sense to me for easy workflow and none allowed just playing your DAW like an instrument. Live does that for me.

At this point, there is no sense changing up to try and learn something completely new. I am familiar with Live and not with anything else but Acid Pro older versions. Maybe FL Studio a little, but have to really work at FL to get anything finished.

Now I'm trying to get into the workflow of Geist as a standalone. Not too bad. I love pattern based sequencing too. Ableton was the one that melded pattern/loop based music with linear recording for me.

Beats the old method I used - SU700 sampler recording everything, then midi clock synced to MC303 and Quasimidi Polymorphs 4 step sequencers. Jam the guitar right into the sampler then loop my tracks. Play some live stuff on the EX-800 or on guitar while playback happens.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

I still haven't found a single DAW where I could go from start to finish. I compose almost everything in FL Studio but it is a horrible DAW to do actual mixing within. I do all the mixing and mastering in Reaper.. which is a horrible DAW to do any composing in.

I loathe the piano roll of Reaper.. it's pretty much useless and just doesn't work at all for me, no matter how much I try to customize the shortcuts and the way the mouse works. It's just "wrong" on so many levels. The mouse pointer changing areas all are wrong and just don't click with me. I even struggle with simple things like lengthening or moving a note. Can't get anything done in it.

I wish this wasn't the case as Reaper would otherwise be my be-all-end-all DAW. :help:

I've tried hard to like Reason but just don't get it. Same thing with Live.. I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.

I still think Logic Audio would be the perfect DAW for me but I'm not going to switch to Mac OS-X, ever. I just don't click with that operating system.. starting from the way the mouse cursor travel is completely linear instead of depending on the speed of mouse movement like in Windows. It frustrates me like crazy. Besides, I don't really like the hardware of a lot of the current macs. Too many friends and colleagues have had some serious reliability issues with them. Thus I prefer to build my own high end boxes for studio work.

Sorry, went a bit off topic there.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Completely subjective and personal answer: Logic (version 8 is the one i have most experience with)

Also, out the box, Reaper's workflow ain't all that but after some heavy customisation it's second to none for me.

FL Studio has the worst workflow of the ones I've tried. Once the songs gets large I completely lose sight of what belongs to what, which instrument is on which pattern and which plugins are on which channel etc. Drop down menus galore and no automatic coloring or naming etc etc. Almost unusable.

FL Studio for me too. That program is just a comprehensive mess.

screw you guys, im going home

atraf11 wrote:screw you guys, im going home
:lol:

How do those guy pushing Live manage to record notes without tracks cluttered up with bunch of duplicated midi tracks? It always requirs me to use another tracks to record notes besides the one has automations recorded with controller. Live is worst workflow. No latch.. c'mon it's not $1 iOS sequencer. it's pain in the arse.... And no modulation automation in the tracks.

Nielzie wrote:That's why, for me, the perfect DAW still does not exist.
Not possible... because the perfect human doesn't exist. :)

We sometimes think (for a short time anyway) we've found "perfection", until something "even more perfect" comes along. :hihi:

Nothing can touch Babya Logic Pro XL Gold Edition... except Babya Logic Pro XLT Platinum.

Worst workflow for multi-tracking? Windows Audio Recorder. :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”