Worst DAW with a bad workflow is who?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LawrenceF wrote:
Nielzie wrote:That's why, for me, the perfect DAW still does not exist.
Not possible... because the perfect human doesn't exist. :)

We sometimes think (for a short time anyway) we've found "perfection", until something "even more perfect" comes along. :hihi:

Nothing can touch Babya Logic Pro XL Gold Edition... except Babya Logic Pro XLT Platinum.

Worst workflow for multi-tracking? Windows Audio Recorder. :hihi:
Man, Babya Logic Pro XLT Platinum makes all the One Ping instances on my Tarnce tracks sound like a Virus!

:hihi:
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

I don't know if anyone has admitted to this but here we go.

Worst workflow IMO is Digital Performer.
AND
It's also my main DAW.

DP tends to leave nearly everything up to the user, from how you construct a song, to how you partition parts in the sequencer, even what window you use to work in is up to the user. It's a convoluted mess to get into at first, and even setting up a virtual instrument seems like an archaic pain in the rear. You can get very lost and honestly it takes a good solid year to really get it. It really isn't set up like any of the other DAWs and that can throw you for a loop.

BUT

Conversely it allows you to set up a workflow tailored specifically to your needs. This is why film composers like it so much, they can create templates etc. and it's all there. It's a bit of "kitchen sink" DAW, just the other day I noticed you could send tune requests to hardware synths, so now my opening template is a tuning template. The mixing section is entirely flexible and IMO can't be beat, multiple mixes are saved directly into the open project and instantly recalled, tracks are individually shown and hidden (do you need to see MIDI tracks in the mix down phase?), and automation is extensive with multiple varieties.

I'm running into hardware issues with it, (MIDI box is acting up hopefully just a faulty USB cable), but it's looking like DP will record SysEx data directly as automation. :-o

To me anyway Ableton Live is by far the easiest DAW, but it sucks when it comes to old hardware or fancy MIDI in general. So yeah I agree, no DAW does everything well and I end up working in two DAWs and a two track editor as well, for creation/performance, creation/mix down and mastering.

So yeah, the worst casn be the best as well. :)

Those E-Jay programs or 'Music 2000' for the PlayStation 1. :hihi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6_VRzdHl3o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcZ0NWiOkxU

Can I say Cubase? I'm sure it's great, but every time I see it I can't help thinking a degree in Egyptology might help decipher the codes written on the sides...

I never got on with Live and I'm not a huge Reaper fan even though I own it, but I can see how their workflow might click with the right minds. I'm just not clever enough, i suppose.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

Sonar 8.5, endless button clicking and 3 rows of tool menus and no right click menu to even reverse audio or apply effects or normalize, and the groove clips without fading in between always generated clicks. Hate to say it because the included FX and plug ins that came with it were better than the DAW itself, but sonar X2 is my all time favorite as of now, with harrison mixbus a very close second for just tracking and mixing with audio files rather like the aforementioned Ejay programs but with a mixer and sound quality that takes the piss out of any other Ive heard but that was what it was specifically created for and only does audio and so doesnt really compare as a DAW rather just the best sounding Mixer EQ and dynamics with analog summing Ive ever heard in the digital realm. Always port audio into it and it gives it a professional sound within minutes so used the subscription route and use it for the summing, works a treat. I know its really stupid though as most DAWs can achieve this with certain great plugins but for ease of use Mixbus wins for audio, the fastest and easiest workflow surely has to go to presonus studio 1 version 2, IMHO

danbroad wrote:Can I say Cubase? I'm sure it's great, but every time I see it I can't help thinking a degree in Egyptology might help decipher the codes written on the sides..
Hehe... I'm with you on this one :lol:
danbroad wrote:I never got on with Live and I'm not a huge Reaper fan .....
So, which DAW do you fancy then?

I'm Studio One all the way. Simple, and it reminds me of the Logic I left behind.... even though I'm back on Macs I haven't felt the need to visit the app store. The macros are superb, every useful function mapped to a button press on the Novation Remote, and the MIDI controller functionality is such that I don't need to despair using Automap.
Last edited by danbroad on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

FL Studio and Sonar

Easiest, partly as it has the least features, Ableton Live
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Who is the worst poster?

:P

you

DELETED

Ableton Live

warp x wrote:Ableton Live
Ah, a them tonight/morning........

hibidy wrote:
Ah, a them tonight/morning........

:D

I use it a LOT, but hate the workflow. Sadly, there's no alternative IMO.

As far as a "different" workflow that doesn't necessarily mean bad. You really can't put Live in a category titled workflow, it's not linear in a linear sense it's more an instrument that act's like a DAW but than it is a DAW and if that's not confusing enough it's really in essence not a DAW because the true definition of a "DAW" is Digital Audio Workstation which would be hardware and not per se "Software".

I hope I cleared that up for everybody. :?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”