2nd computer as a VST host

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rgemmell wrote:So, it looks like VSL Pro sends audio over ethernet? They call it a midi AND audio LAN - so more than just networking midi data.

It's a little expensive but would avoid routing audio back from the VST host sound card and they throw in their Epic Orchestra samples.

From their web site:

"You can easily route the audio streams of a whole arsenal of computers back to your main machine without the need of external hardware."
Yes, the first great thing about it is it gets you around the old ways of porting the audio via lightpipe etc with multiple sound cards. For what it is, I can't really call it expensive. It is an elegant mixing paradigm, that is fully automatable from the DAW host, via a single list of parameters exposed to it from all the plugins hosted in it. You can also route audio [or instrument] tracks to it from the DAW host.

c_huelsbeck wrote: The only little downside is that it creates a bit of additional latency (about 2 buffer sizes), so if you want a tight response for live playing, your host needs to be able to run at a small buffer size (256 / 6ms or faster), otherwise it could feel a bit sluggish.
the server preferences have buffers from 0, to 4 now. 0 adds no buffers of course. '2' which is my preference technically triples the buffers ('1' doubles it).

The devs there advise to set the DAW/soundcard latency as low as possible and add latency in the VEP server window prefs. They brag on the latency compensation and rightly so IMO. For me, more than 192 in Cubase is certainly too sluggish; at that or lower, depending on what's loaded the extra latency might be obviated, however. I still want to get down to 64 with drums performance.

you do need a steinberg/vienna key to demo it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”