Torn: Live or Logic?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

djanthonyw wrote:To play a virtual instrument loaded on a channel, you can't just click on that specific channel as you would in Logic. You have to make sure that you press the tiny record enable button. Logic does this for you automatically when selecting tracks.
That bugged me to, but I'm glad to say that in Live 9, I just found a (deeply hidden) option to enable arm automatically on the selected channel :)
Figured I bumped for this feature as I don't think many will find how to enable this. (Will update with instructions in a while)

BDeep wrote:
djanthonyw wrote:To play a virtual instrument loaded on a channel, you can't just click on that specific channel as you would in Logic. You have to make sure that you press the tiny record enable button. Logic does this for you automatically when selecting tracks.
That bugged me to, but I'm glad to say that in Live 9, I just found a (deeply hidden) option to enable arm automatically on the selected channel :)
Figured I bumped for this feature as I don't think many will find how to enable this. (Will update with instructions in a while)
When Ableton changed the default behaviour in the beta, removing the need to enable record, most users screamed blue murder, so they changed it back.

As for some other people saying you can use Live in conjunction with another DAW, well of course you can, but I prefer to stick to one DAW at a time when I'm doing a tune and Live is fine from beginning to end too, as long as you know its strengths and weaknesses. No DAW's perfect...

As for PDC problems, the way i work (primitive? unskilled? who knows) means it's never been a problem for me and if I do notice global timing issues between tracks I skid stuff around using the track delay but that's rare.

samsam wrote:When Ableton changed the default behaviour in the beta, removing the need to enable record, most users screamed blue murder, so they changed it back.
I do not understand Ableton's reasoning for stuff like this

they drastically change something, not enough people like it, most ask them to just keep it as an option, Ableton completely gets rid of it

why can't they just keep these things as options?!

same thing with the smart snap, even deadmau5 himself complained about that one
~Alyx
soundcloud.com/alyxonfire

itsinvader wrote:
samsam wrote:When Ableton changed the default behaviour in the beta, removing the need to enable record, most users screamed blue murder, so they changed it back.
I do not understand Ableton's reasoning for stuff like this

they drastically change something, not enough people like it, most ask them to just keep it as an option, Ableton completely gets rid of it

why can't they just keep these things as options?!

same thing with the smart snap, even deadmau5 himself complained about that one
Even deadmau5 - wow!

Joking aside, I dunno, it seems they prefer to keep options hidden in the options.txt thing rather than on the GUI. I agree that simply having regular options available in an easy-to-find place would be more user-friendly.

samsam wrote:it seems they prefer to keep options hidden in the options.txt thing rather than on the GUI. I agree that simply having regular options available in an easy-to-find place would be more user-friendly.
this is one of the things turning me away from Live, they just refuse to add more options to the preferences pane

the lack of options and customization drives me nuts sometimes
~Alyx

Yeah, I know, some people really didn't like the new behavior. I did, and you can still get that behavior by adding a line to the options.txt file.
To access that file, please visit this Ableton page https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/opt ... file-live/ , if it doesn't exist, you'll have to create it.
Once you've done that, add this piece of text to it, save it en (re)start Live 9. Done

Code: Select all

-EnableArmOnSelection 

The "Plug-in Buffer Size" setting in the "CPU" preferences pane has been removed. The plug-in buffer is now always the same size as the audio buffer. In case you still need to set the plug-in buffer to a fixed size, you can use the following option in the options.txt file:
-PluginBufferSize=n
not that I ever used it but why did they take it away?? at least you can still add those option in manually but why do they insist on doing such things?

one thing that really bothers me is why they took the volume and pitch envelope shortcuts...
~Alyx

itsinvader wrote:
The "Plug-in Buffer Size" setting in the "CPU" preferences pane has been removed. The plug-in buffer is now always the same size as the audio buffer. In case you still need to set the plug-in buffer to a fixed size, you can use the following option in the options.txt file:
-PluginBufferSize=n
not that I ever used it but why did they take it away?? at least you can still add those option in manually but why do they insist on doing such things?
It probably reduces the support overhead because you get fewer people messing with the buffer settings on a whim and then wonder why it's crashing. I did get a crazy problem once, only to find the buffer was set to 325 samples. I guess I must have hit the selection box by accident and it got whatever I typed in next.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”