Cubase 7 & Windows 8 ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I've read several posts about Cubase 7 64bit users having complete success running with Windows 8 64bit.

Unfortunately I'm not one of the lucky ones, so I would like to know what is the secret to having a stable system.

My main problem is that when I open or edit a 32bit vst Cubase crashes, but surely the included vst bridge should stop that happening, also when I'm playing in midi data from a vst using a midi keyboard the midi notes stick followed by a crash.

I appreciate that my PC is getting on a bit, but with a quad core and 8 Gigs ram, shouldn't I at least be able to make music and have a stable system?

many thanks
Definition In Innovation & Creative Expression

The secret for a stable system is to stay away from windows 8 until sp1... W7 worx fine. Frankly, cubase 7 & w8 are both newborns, so what did you expect ? And by the way 32bit bridge on 64bit daw is not always a peacefull road... Further testing is required on a plug by plug basis.
:)

Do ALL 32bit vsts crash or just some?

I'm having trouble with some SynthEdit plugins but not all of them. This was happening with Cubase 6 and Win7 as well so it's nothing new.

As for stableness, both Cubase 7 and Windows 8 are solid here. Haven't had either one crash. Programs and plugins yes, but those two not.
Truly mind-boggling music! - New album out! - And a blog!

Even on Win 7 64 you are better off running Cubase 32 bit if you want to use 32 bit plugins and Cubase 64 bit version if you are prepared to use only 64 bit plugs.

If you have a stable system with the latter (64/64) you can try adding 32 bit bridged plugins one at a time and see if you retain stability. The idea that you can go with a 64 bit host and just try a "business as usual" approach to your favourite 32 bit plugs is a bit of a pipe dream in my experience.

I'm personally still on Win 7x64 and Cubase 6.5, but have done a bit of work with with Cubase and Win 8x64.

I have not heard of any Win 8 issues at all with Cubase 6 or 7 that seem to be root-caused to Cubase. Most problems Cubase users have encountered on Win 8 have been due to incompatible interface drivers or plugins.

The Cubase VST bridge is not as reliable as alternatives such as jbridge. If you need to use 64-bit Cubase (most people don't), try jbridge with your known 32-bit-only plugins and see if things improve.

I have several 32-bit plugins that don't work with 64-bit Cubase's VST bridge and it was easier for me to just switch to using 32-bit Cubase full-time than bother messing with jbridge.

Thanks guys for the advice.

I'll try using W7 64bit with C7 64bit & plugins, the problem is I have a number of plugins that have sounds I like using, like Arturia Factory, Virtual Guitarist 2, Groove Agent 3 and all IK Multimedia Total Studio Series Sampletank etc.

It's strange how my Korg M1 Legacy VST works with no issues and that's far older than the others, anyway I've purchased Jbridge and I'll try using that introducing one 32bit vst at a time as kindly advised above and see what happens.

Thanks again
Definition In Innovation & Creative Expression

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”