Trackion 4 .... like a Phoenix rises from the ashes

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I predict it will be a massive disappointment, and all the Tracktion fanboys will commit suicide. :)

I'm considering ebaying my 1 license as an antique version.
Last edited by leggie on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Send it in. :hihi:

Arglebargle wrote:I predict it will be a massive disappointment, and all the Tracktion fanboys will commit suicide. :)
For the record, we're fanhogs, or more correctly, Groundhogs or Tracktioneers. And much to your disappointment, I predict the new, redeemed Tracktion will be a massive success. While we may whine a little about feature set, we now have a future T5 to live for and an update-to-date T4 to live with. (Or will soon if the minute-by-minute anxious wait for the new site doesn't kill us first.) :D
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

it's there - http://www.tracktion.com/ so I registered, downloaded the demo, after 15 minutes I cant stand it anymore. its just awfull, sorry guys the gui is just horrible. took me 10 minutes to figure out how to add vsti, didnt manage to find any kind of mixer view so pardon me - its one of the quickest uninstalls in my history of music apps.

Tehnik wrote:it's there - http://www.tracktion.com/ so I registered, downloaded the demo, after 15 minutes I cant stand it anymore. its just awfull, sorry guys the gui is just horrible. took me 10 minutes to figure out how to add vsti, didnt manage to find any kind of mixer view so pardon me - its one of the quickest uninstalls in my history of music apps.
Edit/Second impression: nice features, nice price, old workflow/interface/jargon but once one is used to it it may be "fast enough" to do stuff, nice modular rack too.

Given the 60$ and some time to get used it may be fine for some cool stuff I cant tell very well yet but seems to have a nice feature set (for the price), but the interface is really old and the workflow could use some big improvements too (past is ctrl+i), for those used to new stuff it need some digging to get how to do stuff, but it may not be that much slower than newer stuff. The Racks are modular and seems better than many things out there so it is a big plus. No native instruments and not many fx (eg no distortion). The midi editor could get some work too (although no much less features than Reason's :hihi: )

Anyway given the price and potential upgrades it may have some potential. /Edit/Second impression

I never tried T3 but I...

Fully agree, the past shortcut is ctrl+i to give the example, it seems to try some clip things like Ableton Live but I dont see how you can do stuff like cut a audio clip without going to a menu, I still dont know who to insert a VSTi, and to be honest I am not very interested to know how.

Horrible workflow IMO!

But I will try a bit more, maybe it is just a first impression to a different workflow.

BTW from the maker of of Juce I really expected a Linux version.

Anyway it seems very fast and responsive, load fast and easy to record in 1 second.

Nice price for what seems to be the features if you like the workflow.

Testing more.

Edit: to put a VSTi "just" drag the filter green box to the green part at the end of the tracks...
Last edited by pc999 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

lolz.

Anyways, I'll DL the demo later, what are the restrictions?

I downloaded the demo and install it but I didn't check it yet (I must go out now!) But the price is just $59?!! Really? Wow! :shock:
I need to check it and see if it will do for me (mostly yes! :D )

I used the use Tracktion and liked it... until it started crashing... so I switched to Live. There is no way I would go back cause Live's racks are indispensable. No way I want to do without them... but for the $60 price, I am sure Tracktion (if stable) will be useful for many people.

pc999 wrote: Fully agree, the past shortcut is ctrl+i to give the example, it seems to try some clip things like Ableton Live but I dont see how you can do stuff like cut a audio clip without going to a menu, I still dont know who to insert a VSTi, and to be honest I am not very interested to know how.
ctrl+c is copy - ctrl+v is paste (unless you change the keyboard shortcuts)
Click and Drag the Filter Box (VST or VSTi)to the destination track. Copy and paste the VST (filter) to other tracks as required.

/ key slices a clip at the cursor point.
pc999 wrote:Horrible workflow IMO!
Too bad for you. For me, it's wonderful PLAYflow. Hardly any work at all.
pc999 wrote:But I will try a bit more, maybe it is just a first impression to a different workflow.
Yes, give it little while. Viva la difference!
pc999 wrote:BTW from the maker of of Juce I really expected a Linux version.
There is. Just not fully tested and released yet. I know, I know, day 1 and still these issues.
pc999 wrote:Anyway it seems very fast and responsive, load fast and easy to record in 1 second.

Nice price for what seems to be the features if you like the workflow.
Love the workflow, but I said that already. For me and many other G-hogs, it's more flow, less work.
pc999 wrote:Edit: to put a VSTi "just" drag the filter green box to the green part at the end of the tracks...
Not only a green box - custom color themes are available from the Settings tab - User Interface Panel.

Enjoy your possible future Groundhog life! (We can explain the groundhog thing later, maybe early Feb.) :D
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

I just bought Tracktion today simply out of principle. I believe is what TSC is doing and wholeheartedly support their endeavour to emancipate this popular program. However, I'm not sure i will use it since I have enough hosts already but look forward to following it's development.

I wish all the best in the future for Jules and his team.

Carey
Last edited by careyletendre on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks mandolarian, funny first time the ctrl+v didnt work I saw in the menu ctrl+i and it worked, now both work :? Anyway I updated my impressions, anyway for a first impressions it does a bad job... But I will try it a bit more maybe I will "get it" more...

Very nice to know about a Linux version!!!

And please explain the Groundhog thing!

Second impression: fast/lightweight, nice features, nice price, old workflow/interface/jargon but once one is used to it it may be "fast enough" to do stuff, nice modular rack too.

Given the 60$ and some time to get used it may be fine for some cool stuff I cant tell very well yet but seems to have a nice feature set (for the price), but the interface is old and the workflow could use some big improvements too, although you can record stuff very very fast, need more testing, for those used to new stuff it need some digging to get how to do stuff, but it may not be that much slower than newer stuff. The Racks are modular and seems better than many things out there so it is a big plus. No native instruments and not many fx (eg no distortion). The midi editor could get some work too (although no much less features than Reason's but much less that S1).

Anyway given the price and potential upgrades it may have some big potential.

Well, I have checked it and I think I will wait till they release a major upgrade, maybe version 4.5 or 5.

I didn't feel there were big differences from the Tracktion 8 years ago! Which it is not a bad thing but IMO it needs some work.

I mean I don't know what it can give me more than Cubase Elements 6 does? Maybe the workflow is faster but I need to purchase additional drums vsti instead of the Grove Agent One in Cubase. Also the midi editing is far behind Cubase (how can I write a midi pattern for the drums?).

I believe in giving enough time for the developer to enhance it then I'll see :)

I haven't used Tracktion since an early free version was released. I remember liking the layout, but it was really unstable at the time. I assume things have changed since, but I don't know. If it is stable, $59, running on Linux, sounds interesting to me, even if it isn't my main daw.

I've got hosts that work. I need to channel that money process towards the NI verbs...........

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”