FL Studio CPU at 99% but Task Manager is at 30%

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've tried disabling my Firewall, I ran Disk Warrior (I'm in Bootcamp), and I ran CCleaner. FL Studio is still locking up even though I've bounced all but 2-3 synths running at a time, which is typically 2 Sylenths (with minimal polyphony) and one Nexus2--because I'm still tweaking the lead sounds. The only third party effect I'm using is Maserati GTi but even when I disable that, I still have 99% CPU and crazy underruns, sometimes freezing my project completely. I'm on an i7 Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM, saving my projects on an external drive, and using the "extended memory" version of FL. I've switched to "smart disable all plugins", and did automatic delay compensation if that makes any difference. I'm running a Fiio E17 soundcard using their ASIO driver, with the buffer size at max. I am not running anything outside of FL simultaneously, and I cannot for the life of me figure this out.

Sounds like either your version of FL (or the way you've set it up) is only recognising one CPU - hence ~30% usage recognised outside of the app, 99% within...

I asked something similar recently (A guy mentions a video)... I stopped caring about it before I found the answer though :P

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

It doesn't address the issue, it simple gives you an explanation of why FL studio DOESN'T WORK :hihi:

If the host maxes out easily, it is not optimized. I've always had a terrible time with FL in cpu use REGARDLESS of computer.

Hosts are really really strange. Even with computers supposedly being "faster" there are many hosts that are just not optimized efficiently. Reaper is of course the exception, but we're not supposed to mention that.......oh........wait......DOH!

I think I'm just gonna shell out the $110 and get a Focusrite Saffire 2i2 and end this!

I don't know if that will end it or not but I've heard some good things about that card. Especially for the price.

hibidy wrote:I don't know if that will end it or not but I've heard some good things about that card. Especially for the price.
I think the Fiio is just an amp more or less--I dunno, I really bought it just so I had something I could take on the road. Fingers crossed!

hibidy wrote:Hosts are really really strange. Even with computers supposedly being "faster" there are many hosts that are just not optimized efficiently.
Hosts can only balance the overall load, and only to some degree (any serial chain, e.g. insert effect chains, cannot be parallelized).

Moreover, if a plugin runs single-threaded and consumes say 90% of a core, there's nothing the host can do about it. This is why multi-threading plugins is getting more popular. Of course that creates new problems, if every plugin did this there could be thousands of threads running in parallel and thus creating overhead.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

FL Studio eats all my cpu. Reaper and Sonar are much more civilized to use the resources of my pc.

Yes, I said sonar too! :shock:

I just discovered that two windows are open when I work on projects. I'm a new user to FL so I thought this was normal, but I don't think it is. Like, when I right click the taskbar FL icon in Win 7, one mini window pops up with my project labeled and the arrangement pictured, and another mini window sits beside it that is light grey and has an FL symbol in the middle of it. However, if I "X" out of the light grey dummy window, it closes my project altogether. Same if I "X" out of the project window. So it's not my soundcard necessarily. Any ideas?

Not normal. Something is broken. Possibly a plugin grabbing focus and not letting go. If you start FL and do nothing else, how many windows are open in the FL icon on the taskbar?
Last edited by mandolarian on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

alvfaria wrote:FL Studio eats all my cpu. Reaper and Sonar are much more civilized to use the resources of my pc.

Yes, I said sonar too! :shock:
The opposite to my experience. FLS is very thrifty on resources. Can get more instances of say, ACE, in FL than Reaper or S1. These personal computers can be so personal sometimes.

mandolarian wrote:Not normal. Something is broken. Possibly a plugin grabbing focus and not letting go. If you start FL and do nothing else, how many windows are open in the FL icon on the taskbar?
Just one. It occurs later on in the session, I dunno by what hour or so. My CPU hovers around 15-20% CPU when nothing else in the background is running and I have "disable all plugins" selected. Is that normal? I've even scrapped every Waves plugin for FL stock (unfortunately). Still having issues. I tried switching my soundcard to my Focusrite VRM, same thing. I even ran a full virus scan today. I love this program so much it hurts--literally!

Definitely not working as expected. I see 1% or less in FL meter, even with tons of other processes running on the machine.

Open a thread on the Imageline support forum or email support, describing your issue with as much detail as possible. The helpful support staff could send you a debug version to track down problem. I had a weird issue with K4 bridged and my audio card that they tracked down and solved that way.

Some questions folks.

What FL version you are using?
Your CPU are intel or AMD?
Windows XP, Vista or 7?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”