Pro Tools 10 is amazing

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vivo wrote:Not to troll but in December 2012 I bought PT 10 from someone here on KVR

On my 2008 mac pro 8-core 2.8 ghz 10 gb ram with SSD and 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, I could only load 4 rtas instruments/synths and then cpu errors started to occur.

What ? 4 instruments and then : cpu error? Never had that before in Logic or Studio One on this mac. Fiddled with delay settings. Nothing helped.

So I sold it after 3 weeks. I could not compose music with it. I was using an RME FireFace 400 with PT 10.

For the money of selling PT10 , I bought Cubase 7 in January and already created like 20 tracks with it since beginning of 2013.

In C7 i am using in some songs 11 or more vst-i plugins and also vst FX plugins.

No biggie in C7 the cpu load is max 40-50% in most of my projects & the way I work.

I really did try to like PT10 but unworkable for me. Maybe if you use audio ONLY then it would be ok. Or PT HD but that's too pricey for me.

Not even using my Logic9 or Studio One lately.

If I could have loaded like 10 rtas plugins in PT10 and used it for composing I would not have sold it.
yep, it is abysmally INefficient.. what i was trying to say above.

Liero wrote:
Xenobt wrote:Pro Tools is, and always will be, the choice of professionals.
You say you're not an AVID fanboy. Sorry, but only a non-professional zombie would say something like that. You never know what software is behind the next corner.
I've been recording, mixing and mastering in PT since version 5, (15 years now!) and have worked at every major studio in Atlanta, and several in LA and NY. I've NEVER seen anything but Pro Tools at any of them. NEVER. And no owner I've spoken with is going to jump off a platform that is so ubiquitous for something else anytime soon. Like YEARS soon.

I think there are great tools in many of the other DAWs, and I've helped friends set up Logic, Cakewalk and Cubase in their home studios. And yes, for native systems (like my home composing system), Pro Tools is a hefty hit on resources. But I don't run native in my pro studio, and never have. Nor do any of the other studios I've been in.

I saw a school here in town advertising their Digital Music program, and they mentioned Live as their teaching DAW of choice. Good luck to anyone trying to find work using it in the real world!

If you want to get to work immediately in any studio you walk into, it takes PROfessional TOOLS.

And I don't know how your systems were configured, bmanic, but on the mac os mine is/has been rock steady, and any crashes I've had were from me asking it to do other things while it was still processing other tasks with crazy high (60+) track counts. But I tend to use the 2nd to last release version to keep new version bugs at bay. I'm still using PT8, and it's solid as can be.

As I said earlier, in real sessions with clients, I've seen the spinning beachball of doom so seldom, I can't remember the last time it happened. :shrug:

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

the pro in pro tools stands for production, not professional.

its also the most popular choice among amateurs. especially the native version.

so far ive done my live windsynth vsti rack setup in nuendo and reaper, i dont think its possible in pt because of its bad low latency performance and bad vsti handling.

Xenobt wrote: I've been recording, mixing and mastering in PT since version 5, (15 years now!) and have worked at every major studio in Atlanta, and several in LA and NY. I've NEVER seen anything but Pro Tools at any of them. NEVER. And no owner I've spoken with is going to jump off a platform that is so ubiquitous for something else anytime soon. Like YEARS soon.
Yeah, unfortunately it's 2013 now and there's no correlation with all the big old studios using software X and software X being really good. I used to think exactly like this.

Sure, you can use PT and earn a living recording music, absolutely, but saying that PT is the only "professional" tool for post, recording, mixing, mastering, composing, arranging et al is just ignorant and silly.

Liero wrote:saying that PT is the only "professional" tool for post, recording, mixing, mastering, composing, arranging et al is just ignorant and silly.
just as well he didnt say it then. any particular reason you should be trying to pretend he did?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I quite like Pro Tools in general and thought 10 was quite good. I'm not a super fanboy, it really is due to two key points: First, I'm comfortable with it as I started with Sound Tools when I started my recording education and moved up along with the product trajectory. Comfort can be good, but not if the product is not usable and obviously I find it quite capable. However (and the second key point is), I do use it mainly for mixing purposes so some of the inefficiencies mentioned above may not really affect me so much so I'm really happy with it (I like tracking and MIDI editing in Cubase for most projects). Version 10 was a good update in my opinion but I'm sure if I found something else and used it for a REALLY long time I'd end up liking it just as much.

Xenobt wrote:And while its MIDI isn't as comprehensive as other DAWs, it has everything you NEED, not a lot of used-once-in-a-lifetime options.
That's maybe true, but what's the real advantage of Pro Tools over Cubase, Logic, DP or Studio One? Better sound? :)
I know some other platforms have slight edges over PT in terms of workflow, (to some), but if you want to work in video post, REAL sound design (not synth patch making!) , or on major label projects, Pro Tools is, and always will be, the choice of professionals.

"Always will be" it's an overstatement, technology is changing so fast that one can't predict what will happen in a few years.

It's the choice of mixing professionals, sure. But I don't know one person who uses Pro Tools for scoring or composing of any kind, for ex. So, different strokes for different folks.

Also, that "industry standard" term is quite interesting. How does one piece of software becomes one?

Most of the film editors I know and work with work with AVID Media Composer. Most of them hate it and describe it as a most unintuitive program and also say that Adobe Premiere and Final Cut blow it out of the water..but they're used to it since they had to work in it while they were in college. Why? Because University had deal with AVID.

:)

The main advantage of Pro Tools, for me, is in the mixing realm. While PTHD does TONS of things well right out of the box, you can always add plug ins to shore up weak spots and add options to what already exists. Think of it as a Scion! :lol:

As I mentioned earlier, in given a day, I might be recording a radio spot, cleaning up noise in location audio, composing and mixing a tv track to picture (so now you know ONE person doing it!), and then have someone bring in a hard drive with a giant hip hop session on it, and my system handles it all easily. And there's 3rd party software involved in every instance that supports what needs doing.

Is it the only game in town? Of course not. Personally, I don't really love the way Pro Tools "sounds". But will I trade the vast number of available plug ins, VIs and easy transfer of sessions to and from my studio? Nope.

And yeah, there are other photo editing programs out there too, but Photoshop is a standard. Like Illustrator, or After Effects, or Maya. Things become a standard when enough professionals recognize the power and performance of the software, and you see it everywhere you work.

Pro Tools has proven itself again and again, sometimes falling a bit behind, but it's still the most comprehensive DAW out there in terms of doing so much, so well, in so many areas.

whyterabbyt wrote:
Liero wrote:saying that PT is the only "professional" tool for post, recording, mixing, mastering, composing, arranging et al is just ignorant and silly.
just as well he didnt say it then. any particular reason you should be trying to pretend he did?
Now, now...don't be harsh with him...it's not his fault. It's the OP's fault. The OP said something nice about PT, and, well, this is KVR so compliments for PT can not go unpunished or unresponded to. It just isn't done.

Now if everyone would just go back to their spare bedroom and create some beatz, this will all blow over.

Dan 8)
Those that can, do. Those that can't, argue about it on k-v-r

Ah, PT returns to KVR. :)

Certainly the most used product on the higher end of the scale on the music side. Not sure about the post side. Frankly, I think DP may kick it's heiny there and along those lines, DP certainly has some bragging rights, some really unique features. Nuendo as well, functionally, though it's market acceptance is below both.

But it's always entertaining watching people getting highly annoyed at the "industry standard" thing. :hihi: I say let the PT guys have their pep rally, who cares? PT 10 is fantastic? Cool.

The only thing missing is Dan's world class ironic sarcasm. :hihi:

Lol, Dan was posting as I was thinking that. :hihi:

LawrenceF wrote:
Certainly the most used product on the higher end of the scale on the music side. Not sure about the post side.
That's big talk hiding behind a internet facade. I bet you wouldn't have the guts to say that to me face to face IRL. Be glad I don't know where you live or I would have to .....

And another thing..

How are you man, haven't spoken in a while.

Dan
Those that can, do. Those that can't, argue about it on k-v-r

Lol. :)

Hey, I'm no big PT fan but just about all the very highly paid audio engineers I respect use it so it must work. :) As to DP, I was never interested in it until they started waving the Window's teaser, but after some random investigation, I came away quite impressed with some of it's features (on paper).

Anyway, doing fine Dan. Me and my "not quite industry standard" apps are happy. :hihi:

P.S. A good long PT bashing will give the rest of the DAWs a vacation. Tracktion will get it's turn soon I think. :)

Xenobt wrote:I know some other platforms have slight edges over PT in terms of workflow, (to some), but if you want to work in video post, REAL sound design (not synth patch making!) , or on major label projects, Pro Tools is, and always will be, the choice of professionals.

2 things...

1 - You don't know that Pro Tools will always be

2 - it should be 'a' choice for professionals (not the) as there are lots of pros who use other tools and not PT

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Everytime I read a thread here I get deja vu.

:roll:

----

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”