do you think cubase is falling behind?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AstralExistence wrote: man i feel like an :idiot:
It happens. :) Nice you got your problem solved anyway.

at this point, im unsure. if you have any ideas of things to try im listening.

Oh, i thought you actually did solve your problem.

jeffh wrote:...the only feature Reaper has that might truly make it better than Cubase is stability, but that's it.
:roll: I'm far from being a Reaper fanboi but that's not even close to true. :hihi: In complete fairness, Reaper has lots of features that are better than Cubase.

Those things may not excite certain people enough to use it over Cubase, but they do exist. An easy example would be mix scenes. Another would be realtime clip FX. Another would be some of the best batch rendering Ive yet seen anywhere.

The list goes on a bit more from there... so... let's be fair.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I spoke too soon about your machine, however I expect adding features to use more resources each time it's done.

Re tehlord & 'you're doing it wrong'; a lot of people don't manage a system extremely well. a computer for audio still more or less needs to be a machine free from crap that is going to distract the CPU, processes that run automatically as background processes in Windows OS, or are startup programs. Or, for instance there was a guy here in such threads that repeatedly insisted that Cubase had a problem with Reaktor --> "unstable", but that is in his sandbox, there is no such problem per se.

I would recommend forgetting about 'ASIO4All' utterly. You need to settle on a soundcard that works. For instance, when I first got my octocore MacPro 4.1, I had a MOTU card that had always been good. The drivers were not good for the OS now and I had insane spiking and was unable to proceed with shit.

heres my c7 settings. maudio asio, release driver in background, asio buffer 2048, audio priority normal, multi processing checked, asio guard off, power scheme off, 2 second preload, adjust for record latency checked, 0 samples.

my pc, q9450 quadcore, 3 gigs ram, maudio delta 2496, windows7 64bit.

does any of those cubase7 options seem problematic in regards to my system or need adjusting?

AstralExistence wrote:i ask that in a very neutral way. i hope we can discuss this without anybody getting upset.

ive noticed somethings in cubase7 that make me kind of wonder this. in cubase i constantly get asio overloads/cpu spikes. also, using vst 2 plugs, the cpu does not shut off when a plug is not being used leading to mass cpu use. i loaded up my fav vst plugin in absynth in mutools and it not only shuts off absynth when it being used leaving me with a lot of cpu it also never spiked as in cubase. also in mutools, and my other daw reaper cpu is much better then in cubase.

also i was very surprised when i found out that roomworks/se is just magnus ambience with a bit of new features and the leasing of voxengo curve eq and maybe but unconfirmed oldskool verb in padshop. among those problems/benefits is cubase 7 new mixer which steinberg released very unfinished. also, the brick wall limiter kinda sucks as it just does not prevent loud signals from clipping. so im wondering, is it just me, or is cubase not the great daw that it used to be being out done by smaller developers like mutools, and reaper?
definitely!

Asio buffer seems exessively long. Try something like 256 or 512. Atleast my M-Audio driver works worse on very big buffer size.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

i switched to 512, (would 768 be better) what else can i adjust?

ASIO guard on

HUge differnce in stability - allows you to get much nearer to 100 cpu without crackles

Power scheme on also helps
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

ok, i adjusted the settngs. im using absynth, what could be causing the peak overloads? my cpu meter reads not very much and asio load is like 14 percent.
i cant figure out how to stop the occasional cpu peaks/spikes. is this a vsti issue more then a host issue?

well i just bought absynth, and i have to say it is the best vsti i ever bought. id rather ditch cubase then ditch absynth. but id much rather prefer both. so if theres a way to solve the spiking im listening. because i don't know what to do and it seems like there is a known spiking problem with cubase/native instruments. in the meantime, ill use reaper which is rock solid i assume but have not tried. does anybody know what i can do to solve these cpu load spikes with absynth?

i notice reaper shut off the audio dead when a plugin is not in use. maybe cubase7 is too cpu intensive for my pc?

@AstralExistence: Is your wireless adapter on while recording? If so, try turning it off. Also, try disabling ACPI power management (in device manager), if your on a laptop this may help.

All the best,
G
AstralExistence wrote:ok, i adjusted the settngs. im using absynth, what could be causing the peak overloads? my cpu meter reads not very much and asio load is like 14 percent.
i cant figure out how to stop the occasional cpu peaks/spikes. is this a vsti issue more then a host issue?

im not sure what a wireless adaptor is (laptop?) im on a pc desktop. i have both avg/comodo running for security. but is it really normal for my pc to be using 4 percent cpu and 40 percent asio load. there seems to be something seriously wrong with the cubases asio/cpu management. my cpu use is barely registering but the asio load is so much higher and often peaks. i don't understand why.

:edit: it seems others have this same problem on cubase forum. tbh, i never even HEARD of an asio dropout till i bought cubase. cpu dropout yes, asio no. is this some kind of technology steinberg invented to explain why there 300/500 dollar daw is being completely pwned as 40 dollar ones? there really is zero excuse. when i bought cubase i expected a professional daw what i got/am getting is anything less.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”