Reaper users: Do you use inline MIDI editing?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm just now getting around to using it, and I have to say, it is great compared to the regular MIDI editor. If you aren't using it, or haven't used it before, click a MIDI item and press 'e' to bring it up, and have a play around with the controls on the top edge of the editor. I suggest setting items to open in the inline editor when double-clicked. You can do that in the mouse modifiers section of preferences.

EDIT, I don't know what is wrong with me, year, reaper.......

The problem with inline midi editing that I've used is by the time you've got it to where you can see it, it might has well have been just in the main editor (might be an age thing) :help:
Last edited by hibidy on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seems cool for some brief editing.

Best that it zooms up/down to what have activity and not like regular editor that you have to fiddle to get things visible.

I don't see the midi toolbar though - I miss that. As long as edit is active you could add midi toolbar on top of main window.

Thanks for tip.

I use inline editing after recorded something and want to modify the results.

I find it quicker to use the normal MIDI editor, since every time I try to use the inline editor, I have to zoom in, then zoom out afterwards, and do so every time I want to change something. It appears more time consuming for me. Also, I'm just not used to it. :hihi:

I do give it a try from time to time, to see if there's any change, and if maybe it does make MIDI editing quicker. It also depends on what you need to edit.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

What a great tip!

Everything starts with an E.

Never used this function but I have seen it before. I might see if its useful for me.
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

never understood what's so cool about inline editing, inline this, inline that. full screen only for me.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

nope, tried it a few times but the zooming issue and really sluggish response makes it a nuisance instead of a help.

I haven't tried it yet, but Cubase 7 has a "zap" zoom function. I wonder if it would help the zoom editing problem for inline editing?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

hibidy wrote:The problem with inline midi editing that I've used is by the time you've got it to where you can see it, it might has well have been just in the main editor (might be an age thing) :help:
You're absolutely right, and I don't think it's an age thing. (is 30-something old? :help:)

The inline editor always seems like a great idea, but I find it so fiddly (and this is in both Reaper and Cubase) that I'd rather just double-click the clip and dedicate my full attention to it for a while.

The only one where I never found inline editing bothersome was Tracktion, but then, that's part of the paradigm so I guess one doesn't notice it.

God no.

hibidy wrote:EDIT, I don't know what is wrong with me, year, reaper.......

The problem with inline midi editing that I've used is by the time you've got it to where you can see it, it might has well have been just in the main editor (might be an age thing) :help:
This.

I remember that feature when it first came out... We all said 'OMG, THIS IS SO COOL!!!', then stopped using it after a week because you had to zoom the item in to be useful... Even if you had a hotkey to fit the selected item to screen, it was already more work than just double-clicking the item.

Super useful for sliding a note to match audio.

For example: I'll play live bass, then MIDI drums after (being a bassist, it's more natural for me). I can then use the inline editor on the drum track to slide a kick over so it lands a bit more in sync with the bass. Seeing both the MIDI and the audio track above at the same time lets me do this edit visually.

ironflippy wrote:Super useful for sliding a note to match audio.

For example: I'll play live bass, then MIDI drums after (being a bassist, it's more natural for me). I can then use the inline editor on the drum track to slide a kick over so it lands a bit more in sync with the bass. Seeing both the MIDI and the audio track above at the same time lets me do this edit visually.
That is a VERY good example of why the feature should exist! Thanks for bringing that up.

hibidy wrote:
ironflippy wrote:Super useful for sliding a note to match audio.

That is a VERY good example of why the feature should exist! Thanks for bringing that up.
Yes! ;) I'll keep that in mind. Really useful.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”