Is there any reason to use Reason anymore?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zootsuitk9 wrote:
Dogboy73 wrote:Good post, Telenator ;)
+1
+! Indeed.

Sums it up quite nicely. 8)

I'm not even going to say much but Reason right now in it's present form is imo a big cluttered mess and I'm glad to not be locked into their walled garden. :D

In terms of analogy, I'd say that Reason is more like an amusement park than a walled garden. There sure are walls around that park, and PH first charges you an entry fee (buy a Reason license, 405 EUR). Once you're inside you may find yourself stamped with some UV marks or need to carry something around your arm or in your pocket to prove you're not a freerider (internet connection, USB dongle).

However, if you feel happy inside the amusement park, there are some new levels of freedom to be found in there. You can try out different rides, and combine with different snacks and more cool things to create new emotional experiences (highly flexible modular routing). You may kiss the girl you're dating (produce a cool song). And even though PH's own Rack Extensions (RE) are available only to those who pay an additional "in-app fee", you may decide to go for it. Currently the PH branded extensions will only cost you 370 EUR, a mere 35 EUR less than the entire Reason license itself.

As of this writing, the total amount of cash you'd have to spend if you would feel like having all RE's currently available is 3115,5 EUR, which equals approximately 4069 US dollars. If you add the Reason license on top of that, you better be amused to stay inside this particular amusement park for a long time.
---

decalogue wrote:In terms of analogy, I'd say that Reason is more like an amusement park than a walled garden. There sure are walls around that park, and PH first charges you an entry fee (buy a Reason license, 405 EUR). Once you're inside you may find yourself stamped with some UV marks or need to carry something around your arm or in your pocket to prove you're not a freerider (internet connection, USB dongle).

However, if you feel happy inside the amusement park, there are some new levels of freedom to be found in there. You can try out different rides, and combine with different snacks and more cool things to create new emotional experiences (highly flexible modular routing). You may kiss the girl you're dating (produce a cool song). And even though PH's own Rack Extensions (RE) are available only to those who pay an additional "in-app fee", you may decide to go for it. Currently the PH branded extensions will only cost you 370 EUR, a mere 35 EUR less than the entire Reason license itself.

As of this writing, the total amount of cash you'd have to spend if you would feel like having all RE's currently available is 3115,5 EUR, which equals approximately 4069 US dollars. If you add the Reason license on top of that, you better be amused to stay inside this particular amusement park for a long time.
These analogies are interesting. That said - the total amount of cash you'd have to spend if you wanted all the VST's available is... well... insane. And being able to use them in dozens of other DAW's doesn't really add that much value if one typically would work inside of one DAW that they've mastered anyway. Still, garden or amusement park - they're all a bunch of fun! :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”