Is there any reason to use Reason anymore?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:is this a zen koan?
Mu.

KBSoundSmith wrote:
Mu.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

progtronic wrote:It really depends on your style of music.

I had to move on from it a few years ago. The kind of electronic music I wanted to do couldn't really be done with Reason.. and I didn't want to deal with re-wire'g into another host.

So, with Studio One and Komplete.. I can get the basics that I used to get from Reason alone done.. plus I have the advanced sample library options I needed with Kontakt, and all the advantages of a world of VST options.

And I hate that freaking dongle.. wtf were they thinking?!..
Hi Rick! Haven't talked to you in ages... :D

-David
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

To answer the OP:
Why not use Reason if you like it?
There were other virtual studios (Anybody remember Arturia Storm? where is it?)
that don't reach the level the users want.
And nowadays there's some kind of revolution in Reason with the appearance of Rack Extensions - maybe some users start using Reason from now.
So it's just the right time for using Reason.

On the other hand, i'm not a Reason user...

I sold it recently. I had had it since version 3 and dutifully kept updating it.

I had been using it less and less though, mainly because I have poor (and worsening) eyesight and I found its interface too cramped/busy/fiddly.

I also felt that all the policies surrounding REs were really a bit of a slap in the face to loyal users, especially the policy on no discounts for existing users of VST/AU versions. I wanted to use REs but there was no way I was going to part with any money for something I couldn't resell.

neverenoughfunk wrote:to the OP, what exactly would like Reason to do? if a song is in you how does Reason stop you from writing it? just curious?

to be honest i think the music will sound the same whatever DAW is used. the DAW does not change the music making abilities. it is just a conduit for ones thoughts.
no, the sound of instruments actually can vary in reality. my particular abilities were enhanced once I got a better instrument in my hands, and my abilities were enhanced when I got better plugins that sounded better in my DAW. My abilities for things I'd not done before grew having lower latencies which was possible through something I had to buy. I've learned quite some things about instruments from having realistic articulations in a vi. If you take your question to the full logical extent, a cigarbox guitar is just as good 'if you have music in you' as a quality instrument. It's absurd. Rather than 'just curious', you've posed a rhetorical question to state a point of view against another view.

I remember exactly one instrument I did anything with in Reason 2.5, Malstrom. Other people like other things, I know someone that makes terrific music with Reason 5, there are some great things in it apparently. I wouldn't give up what I use because I like what I use. Don't know why that's so baffling to anyone.

There's propably thousands of threads started that are speculating about Reason's sound. Lot of the people are saying that Reason isn't capable to sound like the commercial music does.

overhishead wrote:They are one of the grandaddys of virtual instrument scene.
Reason 1.01 was released in December 2000. Might look like centuries ago already, but:
  • Performer 1.0 was released in 1985
  • Cakewalk 1.0 was released in 1987
  • Cubase 1.0 was released in April 1989
  • ProTools 1.0 was released in 1991
  • Samplitude 1.0 was released in 1992
  • Notator Logic 1.0 was released in 1993
  • SawStudio 1.0 was released in the early nineties
  • FruityLoops 1.0 was released in early 1998
  • AcidPro 1.0 was released in 1998
  • Source code of Buzz was lost in 2000
  • Psycle 1.0 was released in May 2000
  • Ableton Live 1.0 was released in October 2001
  • Tracktion 1.0 was released in 2002
  • GarageBand 1.0 was announced in January 2004
  • Podium 1.0 was released in 2004
  • Usine 1.0 was released in April 2006
  • Reaper 1.0 was released in August 2006
  • MU.LAB 1.0 was released in 2006
  • StudioOne 1.0 was released in August 2009
So it's not a granddaddy yet, more likely in it's mid-life crisis :lol:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:
Reason 1.01 was released in December 2000. Might look like centuries ago already, but:
This got me curious so i am out looking up info on vintage sequencers. So far I found this.

http://tweakheadz.com/vintage_sequencers.html

Cool info!
:borg:

For myself, no. I use more than what is available in Reason, and the lack of real plugin support turns projects into a mess. Before all else, I'm a guitarist and my music is centered around guitar, bass, and drums. Reason is not friendly to my kind. Want a different ampsim? Use another daw. Different drum sampler? Use another daw. Different mixing tools? Use another daw..."Reason is all you need"....No, it isn't. When I have a sound in mind that I can't create in Reason, I need something else. Not to mention the little red 'key' staring me in the face every time that I want to open a project to play around with Reason's synths/sampler...where did I put that thing?...screw it, I'll just use Reaper and my plugins (which don't become not for resale, like RE). Reason isn't really so much of a full daw, any way. Imo, the best thing that Propellerhead could do at this point is to create a vst container for Reason's devices. Some of the devices are cool, but as a daw, Reason is behind the times.

BertKoor wrote:
Don't forget Rebirth RB-338, 1997. :)

jancivil wrote:
neverenoughfunk wrote:to the OP, what exactly would like Reason to do? if a song is in you how does Reason stop you from writing it? just curious?

to be honest i think the music will sound the same whatever DAW is used. the DAW does not change the music making abilities. it is just a conduit for ones thoughts.
no, the sound of instruments actually can vary in reality. my particular abilities were enhanced once I got a better instrument in my hands, and my abilities were enhanced when I got better plugins that sounded better in my DAW. My abilities for things I'd not done before grew having lower latencies which was possible through something I had to buy. I've learned quite some things about instruments from having realistic articulations in a vi. If you take your question to the full logical extent, a cigarbox guitar is just as good 'if you have music in you' as a quality instrument. It's absurd. Rather than 'just curious', you've posed a rhetorical question to state a point of view against another view.

I remember exactly one instrument I did anything with in Reason 2.5, Malstrom. Other people like other things, I know someone that makes terrific music with Reason 5, there are some great things in it apparently. I wouldn't give up what I use because I like what I use. Don't know why that's so baffling to anyone.
first off, i listened to 3 by T and the U-F and i must say nice job. it reminds me of some Zappa stuff. i do agree in Reason that tune would be hard to pull off but possible. i do agree the shortest distance between two points is a straight line and VI would definitly get the job faster than Reason could.

therefore, in your case i would have to agree with you. but in most cases i think my point is still valid...

keep up the good work!!!

Oh ur talkin about Reason ! Oh God ! Look at that GUI ! Run run for ur lives ! Ahhhhh ! :shock:
Music is the essence of life.

https://www.srvmusicmaker.com/

KBSoundSmith wrote:
Mu.
Q: Does a cow have Buddha-nature?

A: Mu.

Meffy wrote:
KBSoundSmith wrote:
Mu.
Q: Does a cow have Buddha-nature?

A: Neigh.
Fixed that for you (for British beef products at least)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”