How many DAWS have you tried and what's the winner?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

- Dr. T's KCS
- Cubase Atari
- Cubase VST
- Played with a Roland Rap-10 somewhere in there.
- Cubase SX and similar, up to 5.5.
- Added MBox PT out of business necessity.
- Added ACID and Fruity for hip-hop production choices.
- Added Reaper mostly because it was near free and very portable.
- Started getting really, really, really annoyed with Cubase.
- Demoed just about everything else out there on Win with no joy.
- Bought Logic 8 to test on my MacBook, sold it.
- Finally settled fully into Studio One as a permanent Cubase replacement around v1.5 and haven't used Cubase in a real session since then.

The only real "unknown" for me is Digital Performer Win, and it will likely remain unknown unless they release a demo which seems pretty unlikely. I'll likely be on Studio One (as the main workhorse) for the duration.

Mutant wrote:All major and few minor PC DAWs.
Happy with REAPER.
+1 to that
The sleeper must awaken.

Tried DP, Live and Tracktion. Bought PT because so many studios use it and bought Logic twice. I've kept them all and use them all form time to time but I use DP and Live most.

I tried most of the DAWs (including SAW studio, Live, Reason, Samplitude ...etc) but used mainly:

Logic 4, 5, 5.5 (PC)
Cubase SX, SX2
Sonar 4, 7
Reaper 3, 4
Cubase Elements 6
Logic Pro 9

And the winner is ... Logic!! (I don't have Mac yet but I have a Hackintosh with Win 7 dual boot).

I am not using win 7 for music work now cause I have less cpu headroom than OSX, big latency, and crackles that made me crazy. So, either my win audio driver is shit or windows is shit or both!

Well, at first I was between upgrading to Cubase Artist or buying FL Studio. But windows audio problems and looking at Logic Pro price stopped me from taking any additional step in windows.

Anyway, I finally did it and order the OSX DVD from apple, install it, test it with Cubase, Live lite, and my synths and then WOW!! It is a crystal clear sound with Saffire OSX drivers. I then got Logic Pro 9! Installed it, and finally .. I'm home again :-)

I'm really happy now with my hackintosh and in spite of some minors (some hard don't work, but the main things for me are functioning great especially audio). I'm saving now for iMac (I think my audio interface loves it!). No more crackles and unstable cpu usage. I'm just not thinking about those problems anymore, just making music ;-)

Twelve Tone Systems Cakewalk
Logic on a G3 Mac
Logic on Windows (bastards!)
N-Track
Sonar
Acid Pro 7
energy XT
Tracktion
Reaper

Winner was for a long time, Acid Pro 7.. because T2 kind of ended and T3 erm never mind..

..the NEW winner is... Tracktion 4! :D :hihi:
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

EnGee wrote: I have a Hackintosh with Win 7 dual boot).
EULA violation. :uhuhuh:

I work with all of the big ones (plus some), completely happy with none right now. Fluid in Reaper as that's what I used for the last years. Though it's rediculous how close bright light and darkness is as it is in Reaper. :love: :evil:
There are a a few that I want to give a deeper look in the near future to see if they might become my (main) DAW: MuLab, Logic, StudioOne, Renoise, Bitwig, ...

careyletendre wrote:
Sumptuary Law Violation! :uhuhuh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumptuary_law

Used as main DAWs in this order:

(pre/post Digital) Performer to 2.7
Logic 4 to 8
Reason 1-2.5
Live 3-8

Currently using Live 8 and Digital Performer 8.
I've used for a couple days Cubase and Sonar as well.
Reaper I just haven't sat with, I may be alone in finding the interface a but unintuitive.

Mostly I've come to the conclusion that no one DAW will do everything I want it to.
I use Live and DP about 50/50, and mostly because their strong points are the opposites weaknesses. It's possible Logic X or Bitwig Studio wins me over as an all in one solution, but I'm not holding my breath.

Orion is my fav :love:
I have tried about 8 others.
The only flaw is that I can't route more than 2 audio ins into an effect

OzWozEre wrote:
careyletendre wrote:

Nice try :roll:

Voyetra Sequencer Plus
Orion 7
Cubase VST 5.2-SX-5
XT 1 and 2
Acid Pro
Live 5
Reason 2.5
Reaper 2?3? don't remember

For the music I usually make, I'm most comfortable with Cubase.

careyletendre wrote:
OzWozEre wrote:
careyletendre wrote:

Nice try :roll:
What's wrong? You don't feel guilt computing outside of your caste? :roll:

Edit: j/k!

I started with FL because a friend recommended it to me. Horrible experience, I just hated it :P

A half year later I accidentally stumbled upon Mulab. It is very different and I still like it, especially the new version that supports multiple processor cores. If the development of Mulab continues like in the past, it will have a great future. The price is also very generous, after all, you get a complete modular synthesizer that is built into the DAW. There is no need to buy add-ons for this and that. It is a real bargain.

I tried Reaper as well, but it was just too much for me. It takes the fun out of music, at least for me.

Currently I am using Mixcraft, I like the instruments it comes with (sampled real instruments; Mulab is more into electronic music, which is not my thing). Unfortunately the developers are not as responsive as the guy behind Mulab, it all seems a bit paralyzed. The intervals between updates are very long and even then reported bugs are not necessarily gone. And I don't like the way Mixcraft saves stuff all over my hard drive in a little transparent fashion. With Mulab it is all in one folder.

Although it is not a DAW as such, I am very fond of JamDeck these days :D It has great potential in my view, it is different from conventional DAWs. Sometimes I don't even feel like starting my DAW because it is so clumsy and indirect somehow. Completely different story with JamDeck, which I find hard to close :hihi: The developer is also a very nice guy. Although JamDeck is more like a work in progress, I will buy it as I want him to continue developing it. It is very affordable anyway :)

Got Sonar back at 6 and now on X1.

For all the synths and FX in sonar its a steal, I am just getting back into recording again so I'm having to relearn it all and hopefully will have glowing reviews of sonar for you to report very soon. I DL reaper but its so ugly looking still I can see it being useful as well probably for reamote and the occasional synth I need to access through it with rewire because Sonar can't load the really old ones like voyager or some other ancient monstrosity that I probably won't want to use in the future as my VSTi collection grows. Once upon a time I tried cubase as well but it wasn't there yet. I'm sure it would work equally as well if I wanted to use it now but the bonus that Sonar offers in terns of synths is just amazing. Now my next big purchase is going to be a Line 6 HD500 and then NI komplete.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”