How many DAWS have you tried and what's the winner?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

George wrote:I tried enough of them. Using Logic since 2008 or so :)
Started in the 90s with FL, moved to Acid, then Cubase,
since 2002 I'm on mac & Logic.

I feel the perfect daw is just something you are used to, and has the funcionality you need or want, if you are not confortable with it, don't think about it twice, move on with no regrets.

It's pointless to make a DAW war unless developers are reading it to improve their software,
which rarely occurs (for apple "never" would fit better)

Logic needs a huge revamp audiowise but has features someone can't get rid easily once mastered,
(I'm using ableton live too rewired for grooves);

A card from the (e)magic hat is for example, editing multiple midi regions together at once in the piano roll.

Alexander.

I've tried them all over the years. I always come back to Propellerhead's Reason. Most here will think I'm mad as a brush but there it is. I love it above everything else I've ever used. If I were a Mac user I'd almost certainly be running Logic. But I'm not so brilliant though it is it's a no go for me. Was a big fan of the woefully underrated Sony Acid as well. My second most used DAW next to Reason. Tracktion was cool before Mackie got hold of it and killed it stone dead. Etc, etc etc ...... Reason 6.5 ;)

Dogboy73 wrote:I've tried them all over the years. I always come back to Propellerhead's Reason. Most here will think I'm mad as a brush but there it is. I love it above everything else I've ever used. If I were a Mac user I'd almost certainly be running Logic. But I'm not so brilliant though it is it's a no go for me. Was a big fan of the woefully underrated Sony Acid as well. My second most used DAW next to Reason. Tracktion was cool before Mackie got hold of it and killed it stone dead. Etc, etc etc ...... Reason 6.5 ;)

Tracktion 4 is out and back in its original owners hands Jules ( NOT MACKIE ) , its got some bugs at the moment but they are steadily ironing them out . Its not even been out a month yet . You may want to check it out again to use with Reason its only a $29 upgrade for T1 T2 or T3 users .

todd sweetland wrote: 4 is out and back in its original owners hands Jules ( NOT MACKIE ) , its got some bugs at the moment but they are steadily ironing them out . Its not even been out a month yet . You may want to check it out again to use with Reason its only a $29 upgrade for T1 T2 or T3 users .
That's great to hear. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out for sure ;)

Used:
Musicator
Cakewalk
Cubase
Ableton
FL Studio

Tried:
Acid
MuLab
EnergyXT
Studio One

Winner:

Reaper

CAKEWALK HoME STUDIO
FL
ABLETON

but...REAPER won out!
John
"B4serenity"

I tried Fl Studio, Cakewalk, Reason, a little bit of Cubase, Ableton, Studio One and Reaper. Reaper turned out the be for me after version 4 along with Reason 5 as secondary for my instruments. Reaper caters to the type of people that like to customize stuff, out the box upon first glance the potential isn't realized until you start creating custom actions and menus, basically making the program work the way "YOU" want it to work. You can basically create actions that take a a few clicks in another Daw to work in 1 click. It has it's annoying bugs but it fits me more than any other DAW. Once they add a step sequencer ,automation clips and get the annoying bugs ironed out everything else will be non existent to me.lol

I tried pretty much everything EXCEPT DP and Pro Tools.

And I am happy to report, they are all losers. Try better this year!

Of course Bitwig will come and save us all, so I feel happy about that.
It's all about the wavelets. I dream of the perfect additive synthesis.
You can hire me if you are in Toronto! Contact for details.

Cubase was mine until the high price of upgrade. Way to expensive. so now I am searching for something else. the wisdom of the masses is what wait for.

FL, reaper, cubase, studio one, sonar, ableton. Tried pro tool s.
Studio one won but still use reaper

lovin studio one here (and posted this in this thread before), but went to a friend who is running S1 V2.5 on MAC and it crashed every five mins or so. pc version is definitely more stable.
Finally!

Magix Music Maker > Acid > Emagic Logic > Cakewalk > Cubasis > Cubase > FL Studio > Studio One <----the winner!

Cakewalk -> Cubase -> Logic -> Cubase (still using it) -> Ableton (still using it) -> Studio One -> Reason (recent purchase)

Cubase 7 is simply brilliant. Setup your key commands, workspaces and templates and you can work very fast.

Ableton is the DAW for performing. I use it a lot.

Both DAW I know inside out. That's probably the reason why I can't get along with Studio One.

Started with Fruity Loops 10+ years ago, tried cubase, and ACID, ended up going with Sonar, it just made sense to me.

Fast forward to last year, Sonar X1 came out, big change lots of bugs, so I looked around again, tried Studio1, Cubase again, but ended up sticking with Sonar.

On the bright side, I have X2 now, its stable for me, and does just about anything that I want.

cyphersuit wrote:lovin studio one here (and posted this in this thread before), but went to a friend who is running S1 V2.5 on MAC and it crashed every five mins or so. pc version is definitely more stable.
Dunno', I'm using 2.5 on my mac and it's been very stable.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”