Logic Pro or Pro Tools ???

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LawrenceF wrote:
djanthonyw wrote:I would love to know, specifically, how Pro Tools is best for audio production. Yes, I've used Pro Tools before.
I wouldn't say it's "the best" since there's really no such thing ever imo... but it certainly has it's good qualities, like grouping, automation, playlists, etc, etc, things that come in handy during audio production (tracking, producing).
Yea, but Logic has all of that too.
You are currently reading my signature.

I'm sorry for going on a slight tangent, but how does Digital Performer compare with Logic and Pro Tools? Digital Performer has always been the mac-only Logic alternative before version 8.

djanthonyw wrote:Yea, but Logic has all of that too.
Sure, but more people doing audio production still use PT, and many of them own Logic also, so there's probably a reason for that.

Again, "bestest" is a recipe for nonsense. :) PT seems to be the clear choice between those two for heavy audio production. That doesn't mean PT is the only DAW capable of that. If you prefer recording and overdubbing 32 tracks at a time with Logic, go for it.

Why do you care that someone else thinks PT is "best"? For some it is the best for them, for others, maybe not, who cares?

Work and be happy. :)

If the point is to prove to the net that X is better than Y, good luck with that. :)

pro tools is best if u want record but logic is second best if u want write..

i never have logic but it is cool daw but while maschine exist i never change..
trust analog.... (owner of digital)

synchronizer wrote:I'm sorry for going on a slight tangent, but how does Digital Performer compare with Logic and Pro Tools? Digital Performer has always been the mac-only Logic alternative before version 8.
Never used it. From what I can see though, it has some outstanding features. Now if all that will stand up (overall) to the scrutiny it will get when the Win version comes out, dunno. We'll have to wait and see.

Looks pretty great to me ... but to say it's user base has been a little isolated is maybe an understatement. We'll all get to see if perception = reality, if they have a demo.

I do have minor doubts. A few of the GS daw-hoppers who were excited about dp8 and jumped over to it seem to be back on their old daws now, and not talking about DP so much anymore.

LawrenceF wrote:
djanthonyw wrote:Yea, but Logic has all of that too.
Sure, but more people doing audio production still use PT, and many of them own Logic also, so there's probably a reason for that.

Again, "bestest" is a recipe for nonsense. :) PT seems to be the clear choice between those two for heavy audio production. That doesn't mean PT is the only DAW capable of that. If you prefer recording and overdubbing 32 tracks at a time with Logic, go for it.

Why do you care that someone else thinks PT is "best"? For some it is the best for them, for others, maybe not, who cares?

Work and be happy. :)

If the point is to prove to the net that X is better than Y, good luck with that. :)
It's just annoying when people claim stuff without backing it up.
psychoxkps wrote:pro tools is best if u want record but logic is second best if u want write..
Why?
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:It's just annoying when people claim stuff without backing it up.
Try not to take it personal. :hihi: Every DAW has groups of people that do that... see Reaper. :)

Babya Logic ftw! :)

Just do good work and nobody really cares... away from the Internet that is.

synchronizer wrote:I'm sorry for going on a slight tangent, but how does Digital Performer compare with Logic and Pro Tools? Digital Performer has always been the mac-only Logic alternative before version 8.
It's an odd ball, love it or hate it thing. Always had been strong with support for video, if you do scoring there are couple things (so others have told me) that makes life easy. It was THE midi sequencer at one point at the time...

Flexible UI, but absolutely not object basted, which selection of things a bit fiddly if you ask me. Like Logic idea of midi better, but a competent DAW all around. The snapshot feature is especially godsend if you like to experiment w different mixes

djanthonyw wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:
djanthonyw wrote:I would love to know, specifically, how Pro Tools is best for audio production. Yes, I've used Pro Tools before.
I wouldn't say it's "the best" since there's really no such thing ever imo... but it certainly has it's good qualities, like grouping, automation, playlists, etc, etc, things that come in handy during audio production (tracking, producing).
Yea, but Logic has all of that too.
Not only that, logic's automation is far more advanced..

See the thing is we readily see on forums when people ask about PT VS LOGIC

"if you are writing music use logic if you are just using audio or remixing with audio get PT"

and there's nothing that PT can do that logic can't. It's really silly. I have never ever understood it.

But as i said on the flipside, pro tool's midi is quite fine too and gets bashed unnecessarily. Logic has a couple of non essential functions and the logical editor type thing, but how often do you really use it?

psychoxkps wrote:pro tools is best if u want record but logic is second best if u want write..

i never have logic but it is cool daw but while maschine exist i never change..
And here we go again. See my post above.

Why?

edit
Last edited by Alfalfa on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheoM wrote:Not only that, logic's automation is far more advanced..
Far more advanced? Logic has VCA groups?

I have no dog in this fight since I don'treally use either, I'm just asking.

Thanks.

You mean dragging multiple channels relative to eachother's volume at once? of course.

But when i was talking about automation i mean the actual drawing of and what you can do with it. Pro tools is simple LINES. that's it. There's not even curves. It's pretty ordinary mate.

That was the last time i tested it, if it's changed, my apologies.

WOW, let me control the torture of missing out on THAT when there are many easy work arounds, but show me one for creating anything other than linear lines in PT automation, or even being able to edit the values by clicking on them,

So let me rephrase.

the actual automation lines/points are so much more advanced in Logic than PT, that i would never be able to replicate the intricate automation I do in logic with PT. it is simply not possible.

Fair?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”